What's new

Time for New Knife..Decisions, decisions

Need a new knife-10" chef's

Narrowed the field down to 2-
Tojiro DP
Henckels Zwilling Pro

Prices are about the same ($120 for the Tojiro-$150 for the Henckels)

I have other blades by Tojiro (Shirogami Santoku and Petty knives) and Henckels (6" Zwilling Pro) and Henckels Pro "S" knives (a couple I have owned for about 35 years)

I seem to find myself grabbing my Richmond Artifex 210 (purchased to use as a work knife..no way I'm taking my prized Henckels blades into that kitchen) often, which drifts me toward the Tojiro, but the 6" Zwilling Pro is a fine performer as well....like I said-decisions, decisions......

Depends upon what you'll be doing with it. If it's just you using the knife for home use I would go with the Tojiro, you'll get a laser-sword of a knife when sharpened well. If you're using the knife in a commercial setting, or if others use it, go for the Henckels. You won't be able to get the same level of sharpness from the softer steel, but you'll be able to quickly hone the edge with a steel when your significant other uses the edge as a board scraper (something that would likely be disastrous for the Tojiro).

My son sold Cutco knives for a little while and I was and still am darn impressed with their sharpness! It blew away the henckles that I replaced!!

The current production Henckels cannot be compared to the vintage ones you have. The Togiro has good steel and is tempered to the point where you can actually get a good edge on it. The blade shape and geometry are also superior to the German current production knifes- like night and day.

Happy hunting.

Yeah, after some due diligence it's gonna be a Tojiro. I already have 2 Shirogami Tojiros (because I'm not too concerned with appearance, the white steel can get unfashionably tacky looking rather quickly) and they are great performers, not unlike an Arko stick, Ha.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Henckels Pro S 10" chef's knife, and it works very well for me: I like the feel and balance of it, and it is certainly sharp enough for the job. I have never tried a Tojiro so I cannot comment on that.

Top Bottom