What's new

Time Change Sunday, did you forget?

There's been a bill in congress for a couple years, but no agreement on whether to go Standard or Savings time year-round. I believe a lot of the problem involves the safety of kids having to get school buses in the dark. States can make the change on their own, if they get Federal approval, but good luck getting any State or Fed politician to make a decision, especially when voters can't agree.

In any case, be careful driving this week. It's claimed that there are more accidents due to sun glare after the spring change. I'm retired and never change the time in my car. It drives my wife nuts on the rare occasion she uses mine. She woke up about 3am last night and "had to" change all the clocks. Afterwards, she couldn't get back to sleep. I try to tell her our cell phones and computers have the right time, so what's the urgency.

States can make the change on their own, if they get Federal approval
Only if they want to go to year round DST. States can go to year round Standard Time without consulting the Feds and California is currently considering doing exactly that. I spent most of my life in the People's Republic of California and this is one of the few times I've seen them do anything sensible.

I also went to bed early to get up at 04:30 for work. Even though I almost got the same amount of sleep as usual, when the alarm woke me up at 3:30 (4:30 MDT) my body still said , yeah you didn't fool anyone in here, it's too early.

I'd love for standard time to be adopted year round as apposed to daylight saving time. Then when they remake movies like High Noon they won't have to call it High 1:00 pm. I mean if noon isn't going to be at noon then what's the point.

I hope this nonsense goes away. The original reasons for adopting this no longer apply, and if all we're left with is kids getting on school buses--which I distinctly remember doing in the dark--then this dated concept should File 13.

I think it is FAR more dangerous for many adults to be operating their cars in the dark simply because we make the drive home from work artificially BE in the dark.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Dont live in a time zone :)
also moved here from a place that has no time zone so kinda funny to me as it just messes me up and agree should be gone :)
I'm confused... I think every place on the planet is in a time zone. Perhaps you meant... no Daylight Saving's Time... We are in Bali at the moment and they don't add or subtract hours from their regular time either.... So no Daylight Saving's Time here.

The nice part on this trip? We only have to overcome a 12 hour time difference than a 13 hour one. We get back on Sunday morning and will be back watching our granddaughter on Tuesday. I hope we are at least semi-sane. ;)

I have never heard anybody say
"I hope they don't get rid of daylight saving time"

Nobody, never.

I have some devices which track the time change automatically,
like my cell phone and television,
and some which don't like my microwave.
This last time change, I wasn't paying attention
but I noticed that the microwave and wind up clocks
were out of sync with the tv and my kindle fire
right away in the morning.

Singapore, being on the equator (similar latitude to Bali although not as photogenic), means no messing about with clocks, but dear old Blighty still does although not until 31 March for some reason. I always look forward to Summer timetable as they are only 7 hours behind and that extra hour helps with communication - I never need to stay beyond 5.30pm if someone in London wants to harangue me.

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
It'd be best if no one did it IMO, but if we're going to do it it would be great if Canada/USA would do it at the same time as the rest of the world. Massive PITA if you do a lot of overseas work.

It'd be best if no one did it IMO, but if we're going to do it it would be great if Canada/USA would do it at the same time as the rest of the world. Massive PITA if you do a lot of overseas work.
My Dad had a theory on what you are talking about. He believed that a big factor in other countries aping our DST clock stuff was mainly due to the opening and closing bell of the New York Stock Exchange. That being the one daily event important people around the world pay the most attention to.

Top Bottom