What's new

Thumbs down - Catie's Bubbles new price point

I can get quality triple milled soaps that perform better in the $10 and less range and they last a last and keep longer than most artisan soaps. I have really back burnered most artisan soaps except one or two which don't get much mention.

Osma, Provence Sante, Tabac, Volcannes Menthe, DR Harris, GMS, MWF, Spieck Stick, Lea Stick, Scottish Fine, Moulin, Savon a Barbe, Institute Karite, Dr Dittmar, Golddachs, Klars, Haslinger.

LPV is one f my favorites. My buddy gave it to me because it burned his face. Stuff is great. Slick as hell, lasts forever, smells great. When I run out, which will apparently be awhile, I will buy more. Meanwhile I am getting much mileage from RR and PAA soaps. And the trusty TOBS Sandalwood.

Consumer Reports runs an interesting feature, it's called the Shrink Ray (or something like that). It highlights items that have shrunk in size, but the prices - amazingly! - have increased.

Last edited:
Consumer Reports runs an interesting feature, it's called the Shrink Ray (or something like that). It highlights items that have shrunk in size, but the prices - amazingly! - have increased.

I would think that ice cream would be Exhibit A on that one. The ice cream industry knows that customers will pay a certain amount for a container of ice cream. As their costs rose they shrank the container. The consumers decided, "Yea, I know it is smaller but that is what I am willing to pay." This was on the heels of probably a ton of market research on the part of the manufacturers. With a smaller container they still need to cover the costs attendant with any business - manufacturing, distribution, marketing, etc. So they have these expenses - whether fixed or variable - spread now over containers with less product in them. To be sure they cover these expenses the cost / ounce of the ice cream is going to be more. That does not mean their profits are higher, just that they are covering their expenses with a container that is smaller in size. Of course, some manufacturers will be opportunistic and decide to add to their ice cream profits at the same time. In the end as long as the market in ice cream is allowed free reign there is product for everyone in the price point they are comfortable with.

Last edited:
I guess I've never understood why you'd pay so much for something that you're wiping off of your face and washing down the drain. Just me though.

Price can go wherever the CB's folks want it to go. Competition may or may not be a factor. Maybe they are so busy that they are using price to moderate demand / provide more reward for their hard work. All of us hate price increases on our faves. but we can pay up or switch. That's what I love about capitalism.

Thats not right. They make great soap, but when it comes down to it there is no need to pay that much for a great shaving soap. In a perfect scenario, the price should be going down with all the competition out there.

I would think that ice cream would be Exhibit A on that one. The ice cream industry knows that customers will pay a certain amount for a container of ice cream. As their costs rose they shrank the container. The consumers decided, "Yea, I know it is smaller but that is what I am willing to pay." This was on the heels of probably a ton of market research on the part of the manufacturers. With a smaller container they still need to cover the costs attendant with any business - manufacturing, distribution, marketing, etc. So they have these expenses - whether fixed or variable - spread now over containers with less product in them. To be sure they cover these expenses the cost / ounce of the ice cream is going to be more. That does not mean their profits are higher, just that they are covering their expenses with a container that is smaller in size. Of course, some manufacturers will be opportunistic and decide to add to their ice cream profits at the same time. In the end as long as the market in ice cream is allowed free reign there is product for everyone in the price point they are comfortable with.

But they often do make more margin and total profit, not just cover additional costs through these tactics. Optimizing profit has a lot to do with manipulation of a lot of variables and people don't tend to pay attention to the price/unit but rather the total cost of the entire product. That's why hidden inflation is so insidious and profitable. Often marketing campaigns try to spin it as a service to the customers but it always ends up sounding as lame as it really is. Case in point for that was the nearly 1/5 reduction in the size of Coca-Cola bottles in Canada, a move not followed in the US nor by Pepsi, where they charge the same amount for 500ml as the old 591ml but claim it's to help reduce weight issues. Now that's a huge lie in bold face spun as something that benefits the consumer!

Profit is not a dirty word. Without profit, how would any business stay in business?
I've not tried CB soap or RR or Mike's or a bunch of others, but if they go out of business from lack of profit, I'll never get to try them.
I never got to try Strop Shoppe or Yardley or a few others which is my loss.
If a price increase keeps them in business, so be it. It's our choice as consumers to pay or not.

In the time since I last posted in this thread I have moved away from RR and PAA soaps. In fact I gave away almost all my RR soaps. I have also since purchased more CB soaps. I like them a lot and have no problem paying what I see as a fair price for them.

By the way, I'm still working on that same tub of LPV. If I had bought it new and paid the $14 it cost, it would still be a heck of an investment wouldn't you say?

I use Soap Commander's stuff, and am willing to pay for it. Good soap, made about three miles from my house. I like it, and I'm buying local.

If it were just price as a factor, I'd use nothing but Arko.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know that CB gets a lot of praise on the forums, but every time I see the lather, I see lather that reminds me of MdC (not a good thing imo). Really light and airy lather that is not at all creamy.

In the time since I last posted in this thread I have moved away from RR and PAA soaps. In fact I gave away almost all my RR soaps. I have also since purchased more CB soaps. I like them a lot and have no problem paying what I see as a fair price for them.

By the way, I'm still working on that same tub of LPV. If I had bought it new and paid the $14 it cost, it would still be a heck of an investment wouldn't you say?
wait why did you give away the RR soaps?

An high price mean luxury in the head of the consumer. Look at B&M for example: their prices sky-rocketed in time from $14 to as high as $25 for 4oz (yes yes, new "glissant" formula). Look also at L&L products. They were pretty ignored (well not exactly ignored), surely not the first choice between wet shavers. They came out with higher prices and they are the new sensation. Some marketing gimnick (read limited editions, exotic tallows, small batches) and the high prices are well justified. CRSW is another brand that comes to mind. "It it cost so much it must be so good!"

Price is not a factor when we are talking about quality. We are not talking about Arko or Williams or Van den Hagen.
I can buy a Tabac puck at $7,50 or a tub of Tobs at $9 from Connaught shaving. A MWF puck as low as $6,50. Are they inferior products? I don't think so. An Oz of "Night Music" costs almost the double of an Oz of Xpec.
I'm positive about supporting local business but I believe there is a limit (mine could be different from yours of course!) I will never buy an Abbate Y La Mantia Krokos soap at $44 just because they are located 15 miles from my birth place :001_07:.

Top Bottom