What's new

Thrift Store Find - Real Red Point, Case & Sons

My dad instilled in me a love for Case knives, and I inherited his collection of them when he passed, so when I saw it thought I'd give it a go...

$Real Red Point.jpg

Scales are a little bulged so I've got to look into how to straighten them a bit, but the blade seems in great condition.

Be gentle, it's my first. :)

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Nice score! My grandfather loved case knives as well, and for good reason.

I've been looking for one of the case made red imps for a while but no luck yet.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
The first ever straight I bought was a Case red imp, and yes, it was because I liked their knives. Turned out to be a great shaver, once I was experienced enough to hone it properly.

My dad instilled in me a love for Case knives, and I inherited his collection of them when he passed, so when I saw it thought I'd give it a go...

View attachment 693789

Scales are a little bulged so I've got to look into how to straighten them a bit, but the blade seems in great condition.

Be gentle, it's my first. :)

Scales are supposed to bulge out a little. That makes the blade tighten up in the scales when fully open. As long as they are arched outward the same on both sides and the scales center when closing they are as designed. Sweet razor BTW.

I recently found one also. Funny thing is, I live about 17 minutes from the case plant and this was the first one I had seen in the wild.

$IMG_20160916_164801_953.jpg

Legion

Staff member
Scales are supposed to bulge out a little. That makes the blade tighten up in the scales when fully open. As long as they are arched outward the same on both sides and the scales center when closing they are as designed. Sweet razor BTW.

The plastic used for Case scales is known to warp and go weird. It is rare to find one with straight scales, so they are probably not as designed.

I must have gotten a rare one then. Mine are very straight.

Nice one. Congrats

$scales.jpg
Not quite a normal bulge, at least it doesn't seem like it to me. :001_smile
Also the one side is not in alignment with the other, it's like it 'droops', shaped even more like a banana maybe? Hard to describe, maybe you can see in this pic, look over the bad pic.
$DSCN0218.jpg
Not sure if it was a steal, but got it for $30 so I thought it was a decent price, the blade looks brand new to me. No hone marks, no rust or dis-coloration, even had a very decent edge on it.

Last edited:
There is definitely something weird going on there. For the price though, personally I think you did great. The blade looks fantastic. Mine was quite a bit more, and didn't even come with a coffin.

Legion

Staff member
Yep, that's how they often go. Not sure what causes it, heat or.... I don't think they can be made straight again too easily. But it is a nice blade and will be a great shaver when rescaled

Out of curiosity's sake I've been trying to get a feel for the age on this razor. Looks like they may have been made until around 1955. My old DE's have their stamps so its pretty easy to tell their age, I don't suppose there is a quick way to date a straight.

Legion

Staff member
Out of curiosity's sake I've been trying to get a feel for the age on this razor. Looks like they may have been made until around 1955. My old DE's have their stamps so its pretty easy to tell their age, I don't suppose there is a quick way to date a straight.
Case is still around. You could ask them.

That kind of thermoplastic that warps seems to commonly pop up on products from the 30's and 40's. I believe those scales could be made from Kodak Tenite.

Last edited:
Top Bottom