What's new

Three band?

The color bands of the fibers.
This is a 2 band. Notice the darker section at bottom & then the lighter band on top?

ShavePastor4.jpg

Got it. Thanks! I was wondering if it was something like that but wasn't certain. Appreciate your patience with a site newbie!

Got it. Thanks! I was wondering if it was something like that but wasn't certain. Appreciate your patience with a site newbie!
And here’s a 3 band.
194140B8-392E-41AC-A657-1567C2E37BB0.jpeg

Some of the code words and shorthand we tend to use can be confusing. Feel free to ask questions. Folks here are more than willing to help.

Glad I could help! There is so much info here at B&B, it's a great wealth of "shaveology". Check out all the various sub forums too! But warning to a newb: this place is addicting! Enjoy

To add to the confusion, it has been said that all of them are three band. The dark band is wider on a two band, wide enough that the lower light colored band is buried in the handle. Two band is also often referred to as finest.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
To add to the confusion, it has been said that all of them are three band. The dark band is wider on a two band, wide enough that the lower light colored band is buried in the handle. Two band is also often referred to as finest.
I've seen some knots that actually have only 2 bands. Can't remember where I saw them, either in a Rudy Vey or Paladin post

The answer is somewhat complicated.

Silvertip, the highest level of three band, is the softest and most luxurous feeling. It also is somewhat more tender to abuse as the shafts are smaller in diameter.

Two band or finest tends to have larger diameter hair shafts and thus it tends to be more durable while still having a very nice face feel.

There is a two band silvertip, and its qualities other than coloration are like silvertip.

Best is usually three band and is usually even more durable that two band finest. It also doesn't provides as nice of a face feel.

The one at the top of this thread only shows two bands. The 3rd band is buried in the handle.

This is not necessarily true. I've bought plenty of knots only and my two band knots always have the darker hair all the way down to the glue.

This is not necessarily true. I've bought plenty of knots only and my two band knots always have the darker hair all the way down to the glue.

I think you're right on this one. The one at the top is from Maggards. They label it as a 2 band. The picture of the knot only, supplied on their site shows the dark section all the way to the glue. It definitely doesn't look the 3 band brush pictured lower under the first post. I'm not sure about other knots, though.

It can get confusing. Someone recently had 2 bands for sale that clearly showed 3 bands. I might be wrong on this but I am under the impression that 2 band knots will have more backbone.

I think you're right on this one. The one at the top is from Maggards. They label it as a 2 band. The picture of the knot only, supplied on their site shows the dark section all the way to the glue. It definitely doesn't look the 3 band brush pictured lower under the first post. I'm not sure about other knots, though.

Some of the pictured Maggard two band knots displayed on their web site seem to show dark hair all the say down. The 24mm does show a white band at the very bottom that probably would be hidden in the handle.

http://www.maggardrazors.com/product/maggard-razors-24mm-2-band-badger-shaving-brush-knot-only/

The larger ones are not as clear. the 26mm knot displayed doesn't show any white.

I have recently bought three Maggard two band knots, two 26mm ones and a 24mm one. My recollection is that there was evidence of a narrow third band at the bottom of each although I cannot say for certain. The real point is that the dark band is very wide, much wider than an ordinary three band.

Depending on the knot maker and the loft they are trying to achieve it would be easy to cut off the white bottom row if there is enough loft left to make a knot.

My comment is that is has been said that it is all three band just that the center band on two band is much wider. I tend to believe this although I'm not trying to be dogmatic about it.

Following on from the original question - which is better or rather more desirable practically? is it only looks that apply?
As far as boar knots go they are just dye jobs anyway (aren't they?), so it doesn't really matter.
Synthetics can be any colour of the rainbow, it would seem.
About real bands on badger knots - I've no opinion.

The real point is that the dark band is very wide, much wider than an ordinary three band.

This is true concerning that Maggard knot--definitely a wider dark band than dark section seen on many three bands.

My comment is that is has been said that it is all three band just that the center band on two band is much wider. I tend to believe this although I'm not trying to be dogmatic about it.

Possibly that might be true! I'm not knowledgeable enough on badgers to know either way if the first white band is cut off at the base of the dark band or not.

Just thinking here, if one dark section is considerably wider than others seen on three band, boes that mean the hairs are coming from a different part of the badgers body?

I can't answer that completely, but reportedly Silvertip is only about 15% of the pelt, and comes from a collar around the animal's neck. Nearly all Silvertip is three band.

Top Bottom