What's new

Thoughts on Changing the Color of Dress Shoes

I have these, Florsheim Lexingtons Pebble Grain. I have a better pair of wingtips now. I was thinking of changing the color to an oxblood with a black antiquing on the toe, heel, and brogues. I haven't worn these in probably 2 years but still wearable. Is it possible? If they get messed up its really no loss. I also have a pair of similar Aldo's I could try with too. Whats your thoughts. Thanks!
proxy.php

To really change the base color to oxblood, you'd have to have them redyed, which is probably a bad investment for $100 Florsheims. Do you have a picture that represents what you'd like to end up with?

I don't know about dying shoes, but I had some chili colored AE's and I grew tired of the color. I polished them a few times with black shoe polish. It gave them a nice patina look--I'll try to post the picture later. You could try something like that if you don't want to spend the money to have your shoes dyed.

As to dying them, you can do it yourself with good results. First you really need to clean them and most importantly strip the old finish. For this you will need something such as lacquer thinner or acetone.

Going to the darker color should give excellent results, as for as black antiquing, I think that would be problematic, and would be best done by using a darker polish such as cordovan or even black after dying. I would not try to use black dye.

One thing I think you should think about is whether or not you want to do this as an exercise, or just want to shoe redyed. If the former, go for it, if the latter, you are better off just getting different shoes for that price, it's a total pain in the *** to redye.

To do it is pretty simple, just time consuming. Get some denatured or rubbing alcohol and cotton cloth and go to town till they have been stripped. Super fine grit 3M sanding sponges help stubborn areas, but be careful not to get carried away though without keeping a close eye (Also, only do this on corrected grain leather like in Florsheims, never on a non corrected high end shoe). Grab some Fiebings dye to recolor. For antiquing you want a contrasting polish, applied in many very thin coats.

http://www.amazon.com/Fiebings-Leat...=UTF8&qid=1392213302&sr=8-1&keywords=shoe+dye

I am doing this to experiment. Like I said if I ruin them it no loss. I have better pair that have replaced these. I loved the color look and thought I would try this too make sure I did before I bought a nice pair. I would never waist the money to have them professionally done.
I want something like this but a little darker.
proxy.php

Top Bottom