What's new

This is what I do!! Tell me what you do? (FYI my wife thinks I am loony)

I loved aliexpress before covid. I still order but stuff takes a while. I have opened a global express account with Rakuten Ichiba, but they are just like Amazon. Not much hobby stuff, just commercial goods like Japanese Gain detergent and Sony headphones. I did get some Schick Injector II Twin blades in like four days though. Incredibly fast! Anyway, nice rotation. I almost regret not having a smaller collection to simplify things. My method is madness though, so I'm right there with OP in the same boat!
I do have one more knot and handle coming, probably by September. Than there is the 11 11 sale I’ll have to check it out. I missed last years.

I do have one more knot and handle coming, probably by September. Than there is the 11 11 sale I’ll have to check it out. I missed last years.
I go nuts on those sales. If you only knew how many Yaqi brushes I bought for between $4 and $8!

I heard about the crazy prices. Looking forward to it.
I don't know if anyone else has noticed it, but Yaqi does this thing where every few minutes? every hour? they lower the price of one brush to $8 or less (trying to use the suggestion algorithms to direct shoppers to their store?) I refresh constantly and snipe them all. I have about 20 brushes I bought that way. Some are very nice two band badgers. Also paid $6 for two different full razors. You can usually buy multiples (whoever is playing around forgets to set purchase limits) Silly kids on their parents' workstations, trying to take orders from mom and pop Wong who are busy trying to manage the warehouse. "Change the listings! No you can't go to lunch, it's only 9am! And turn off that Nintendo! This is a family business!" *kids roll eyes*

I don't know if anyone else has noticed it, but Yaqi does this thing where every few minutes? every hour? they lower the price of one brush to $8 or less (trying to use the suggestion algorithms to direct shoppers to their store?) I refresh constantly and snipe them all. I have about 20 brushes I bought that way. Some are very nice two band badgers. Also paid $6 for two different full razors. You can usually buy multiples (whoever is playing around forgets to set purchase limits) Silly kids on their parents' workstations, trying to take orders from mom and pop Wong who are busy trying to manage the warehouse. "Change the listings! No you can't go to lunch, it's only 9am! And turn off that Nintendo! This is a family business!" *kids roll eyes*
Was the handle selection good on the sale? It seems to be pretty thin right now on Oumo Store.

Was the handle selection good on the sale? It seems to be pretty thin right now on Oumo Store.
Indeed. That was before flu season though. I suppose I'll take some photos of all my Yaqi brushes and post em in a thread. I'm derailing this thread at this point :(

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I suspect your wife may be right - but so what?

What earthly difference does it make to anyone else on the planet how you decide which razor to use on a given day? Do what makes you happy. Always do what makes you happy (as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else).

At home I'm down to one razor, two soaps, one WH and one balm. I usually use the same blade, but I did just purchase 100 of a different blade, so I can go wild and switch. I'm a bit of a wild and crazy guy, so I decide which soap right before I dip my brush in.

That's what makes me happy. You do you. Some of us like cheap stuff, some like top of the line, some do one pass, some do 4. Some of us face lather, some like a bowl. Some of us shave every day, some shave twice a week. YMMV.

You do you. And tell your wife to keep her negative comments to herself (in your head, of course - never out loud!).

I suspect your wife may be right - but so what?

What earthly difference does it make to anyone else on the planet how you decide which razor to use on a given day? Do what makes you happy. Always do what makes you happy (as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else).

At home I'm down to one razor, two soaps, one WH and one balm. I usually use the same blade, but I did just purchase 100 of a different blade, so I can go wild and switch. I'm a bit of a wild and crazy guy, so I decide which soap right before I dip my brush in.

That's what makes me happy. You do you. Some of us like cheap stuff, some like top of the line, some do one pass, some do 4. Some of us face lather, some like a bowl. Some of us shave every day, some shave twice a week. YMMV.

You do you. And tell your wife to keep her negative comments to herself (in your head, of course - never out loud!).
Well said very well said.

You are on a shaving forum, so of course you have a problem. [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Up until about 3 days ago, I would just use whatever I felt like. The problem was I was never really putting a dent in any of my soaps/ creams. The Mrs. took it upon herself to shelve the scents she liked the least, and now advises me that I will continue to use the ONE product she chooses, (Aftershave included) until it is finished. Then she and my little ones will pick the next one, and so forth. Not a terrible rotation really.

Reactions: bjm
I have 26 straights (with to more inbound) in rotation and pick one daily based on mood and how much growth I'm removing. I also have 8 GEMs that I rotate through for Micromatic Mondays.

+1 This is called doing it right!

I regularly use a safety razor for clean up on my neck after my SR shave. I promised (myself) to use the same razor and blade for a week, then rotate. That lasted a couple months. Now everything is back to spur-of-the-moment decision making. SR, clean up razor, blade, soap, AS. It’s a tough set of responsibilities, but the buck stops here. And, yes, the LOTH thinks it’s crazy.

I used to just pick whatever I wanted randomly until I ended up with a soap collection that was way too large, so I decided to make an effort to get it down to size so I could choose randomly again.

So I chose the soaps that I thought were closest to going bad (oldest, more superfatted, etc) and started using that soap exclusively until it was gone, then moved on to the next one, leaving the newest soaps and triple-milled soaps to last.

It has been working out pretty well. I have pared my collection down ALMOST to the point that I can start to use them randomly again. I also want to get the soaps down to a small enough number that I feel like I can buy a new soap at some point.

Reactions: bjm
Up until about 3 days ago, I would just use whatever I felt like. The problem was I was never really putting a dent in any of my soaps/ creams. The Mrs. took it upon herself to shelve the scents she liked the least, and now advises me that I will continue to use the ONE product she chooses, (Aftershave included) until it is finished. Then she and my little ones will pick the next one, and so forth. Not a terrible rotation really.

I like a woman who knows how to "take charge" ;) !

As for myself I go by seasons, and I am strictly limited to what I can fit in my shave den: three soaps/creams, three aftershaves, two brushes and two razors (plus whatever I can stuff in my travel bag). In the summer it is Fine Accoutrements Italian Citrus soap and A/S alternated with The Veg and Gillette Pure cream if I want something Mentholated and a more lasting scent. In the fall it is VDH Deluxe and Whiskey Woods. In winter it is VDH Deluxe or Cella and VIBR or Pino Silvestre. In the spring, VDH and Clubman classic.

This is my discipline!

I keep it simple and just go with it. I currently have a stick of Arko going and a puck of Williams , shave every day 5 days each with those two. On the weekends I generally use a Proraso Green cream. Been doing it for a long time so not much to keep track of. Oh yes, only 1 razor a Merkur 34C.

Top Bottom