What's new

This drives me buggy!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
This example is Dunkin Donuts, but I've seen it in other places as well.

20230302_085526.jpg

If you sell 2 sizes, the biggest one is "large", and the smallest one is "small".
If you sell 3 sizes, the biggest one is "large", the smallest one is "small", and the one in the middle is "medium".
It's impossible for your smallest one to be "medium".

me·di·um​

(mē′dē-əm)
n. pl. me·di·a (-dē-ə) or me·di·ums
Something, such as an intermediate course of action, that occupies a position or represents a condition midway between extremes.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
A while back McDonalds used to sell any size fountain drink for $0.99. Maybe they still do, haven’t been to McDonalds in a while. When you asked for anything other than a large they’d just give you a large. I had to argue with a a manager one time because I didn’t want 64oz Dr.Pepper.

Wendy's used to be the worst, I think they were Big, Bigger and Biggie. It is still confusing to order a combo there. They always ask me what size I want. I reply with "whatever comes with the price of the combo".

..."The Biggie portion size, formerly the fast food restaurant’s equivalent of a large, will now be called a medium. It’s only a name change, and the portion customers get — the equivalent of almost three 12-ounce cans of soda for the drinks — won’t get smaller."

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
A while back McDonalds used to sell any size fountain drink for $0.99. Maybe they still do, haven’t been to McDonalds in a while. When you asked for anything other than a large they’d just give you a large. I had to argue with a a manager one time because I didn’t want 64oz Dr.Pepper.
Here I get a "Senior" drink at McDonald's. It's only 79¢!

Yes, I'm so tight I squeak when I walk.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Sounds like Papa Murphey's pizza place...they have medium, large, and extra large. I walk in and ask for a small Papa's favorite just to watch the staff.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
So would you say your complaint is a small issue, medium issue, large, or a gigantic issue?
I think that they think that designation as small, medium and large has something to do with quantity held.
It doesn't.
If your largest size is 8 ounces, and you sell at least one smaller, it's a large.
If your smallest size is 24 ounces, and you sell at least one larger, it's a small.

I stopped in a gas station a couple of weeks ago for a fountain drink. The
medium and large sizes were cheaper than the small. I thought the pricing was an error until I checked the prices at a second fountain and found them the same.

I'm sure it's driven by sales and marketing. That's why it doesn't make logical sense.

Probably people shy away from buying small, after all "bigger is better", right?

Top Bottom