What's new

Third Str8 Razor Shave

My Tony Miller 4 sided strop (with three sides pasted) arrived, and I stropped my ProfessorChaosDonatedDovo, and lathered on some Tabac, and something funny happened....I got a really decent shave, with really pretty minor razor burn, and it didn't take very long.

I'd had a weak performance in my first two shaves - I guess they're not kidding when they say you should strop before each shave. :biggrin:

BBS? NO, but presentable. More of a DRS (Dorm Room Shave), but I'm not touching up before going to work (wife confirmed I'm all set - I think I'm the only one that can tell it's not baby smooth) even though I shaved last night, and less irritation than I get on a bad day with a DE.

Gotta say I'm excited. I can see how this will be smoother and less irritating ultimately than a DE - the greater control and bigger blade give a lot more influence to you as you shave. Hopefully I can get my technique straightened out and get the muscle memory going.

take care of that strop, go slow so you get the hang and dont knick it :biggrin: . It may take a month or longer before you gert the hang, BBS will come with practice. Knowing how or which direction your berad is growning is the most important thing in trying to get BBS. But a nice comfortable irration and cut free shave is better than a razor burn, cut up face and fustration. Dont give up, it'll be worth it.

take care of that strop, go slow so you get the hang and dont knick it :biggrin: . It may take a month or longer before you gert the hang, BBS will come with practice. Knowing how or which direction your berad is growning is the most important thing in trying to get BBS. But a nice comfortable irration and cut free shave is better than a razor burn, cut up face and fustration. Dont give up, it'll be worth it.

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm sure it will take a while, and I'll alternate my str8 shaves with DE shaves so I don't build up too much burn or frustration and in time I'm sure will get competent. Just as I'm sure I'll nik the heck out of the strop - it really is hard to resist the urge to spin it around the wrong way! But the growth curve seems to permit a lot of quick improvement so that's fun for sure.

Keep at it! It gets easier every time you use a straight, even shaving with you left hand. I would recommend using just the straight until you get the hang of it. I haven't picked up a DE since my first straight shave and it will likely be quite a while before I do so again.

got up shaved, then put in my contacts......

Note to self: put in contacts first next time. :biggrin: Owch. Carved myself up a bit, but a little bag balms slopped on and I'm ready to try again. Love that stuff.

Top Bottom