What's new

Thinking Of Shaving With A Straight

I am seriously thinking about starting to shave with a straight razor - I have absolutely no experience with a straight , just DE.

I have one basic question - is shaving with a straight razor going to give me a closer shave than a DE? Currently I do 3 passes with touch-up with my DE.

Then the newbie question? - which razor and strop? I prefer new verses used or refurbish and have been looking at a Hart Razor.

Thanks

There is a steeper learning curve for straights, but the potential for a closer shave is there. Best to do it for the experience rather than "closer" compartison to DE.

i don't know that straights get a closer shave for me, but with both i get a great shave and with straights they are noticeably more comfortable.. i find it's easier to get weeper irritation with a DE on my neck, while straights once in a while can give me a fine red line...

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
TWO GREAT points among many other to follow I'm sure....
There is a steeper learning curve for straights, but the potential for a closer shave is there. Best to do it for the experience rather than "closer" compartison to DE.

i don't know that straights get a closer shave for me, but with both i get a great shave and with straights they are noticeably more comfortable.. i find it's easier to get weeper irritation with a DE on my neck, while straights once in a while can give me a fine red line...

You want new instead of used. I think Dovo straight razors are purchased more often than other new straight razors. But, a Hart straight razor... very nice, from what I have heard.

Well I know that as a vendor, you're not supposed to tout your wares... But really, Larry, new? I think your starter kits are the absolute best way to go a new guy. :laugh:

strop

Now half as wise
It will not be as close as your DE for several weeks. Took me 3 months to get the same shave. Cheeks, chin jaw, upper neck come first, and only now, 4 months in, am I getting satisfied with the lower neck. I suggest making sure you are ambidextrous with the DE before moving on. Lots of one hand straight shavers here, but given some of the contortions I do to get the skin stretched, I can't imagine doing it with one hand only.

Whether you go new or get one from Larry at Whipped Dog, get a starter strop, because you WILL cut it. Better to cut the beginner than that nice Tony Miller or Knayama!

And Larry at Whipped Dog is great to deal with.

You want new instead of used. I think Dovo straight razors are purchased more often than other new straight razors. But, a Hart straight razor... very nice, from what I have heard.

I think Larry's deals are the best. Get a kit for about $55 and find out if you like it. We can probably think up some cool way to beat the price but we would be using experience that a newbie doesn't have. Get a known good/sharp razor and the basic kit to maintain it in one swell foop. If someone buys that Dovo they still have to buy a strop (or make one) and then they have to get it sharpened or do it themselves - which means buy a stone or three and maybe a pasted strop.

The other things - such as can you get a better shave with a straight - were answered. I have a friend who, after several months, is still just getting so-so shaves with his straights but he likes the challenge. I regularly get BBS shaves but I've had to practice a bit - but I was getting good shaves within 30 days. I get cut with DEs more than straights - the shave with a straight is almost always more comfortable to me. At this stage, my straights beat a Mach 3 all day long. I shave my head with it - which got kinda bloody the first few times but is a piece of cake now. Memo for record: Old man wrinkles on the back of the neck should not be shaved ATG in the blind. Maybe I ran out of blood... ;-}

Stop thinking and start doing!

+1

As for new razors, I'd hold off on the Harts for now. Not to say that they're bad razors or anything but as of right now, you don't know if you'll like shaving with a straight. I'd hate to have you buy an expensive razor only to find out they're not for your. If you're looking for a new razor, take a look at the Dovo Specials in faux tortoise. I've heard nothing but great things about them.

Stop thinking and start doing!

+ another 1 lol. You just kind of got to dive in. But take the time to get all the equiment you need.

It will take a while before you get the bbs shaves you get with a DE. If being BBS every day is a need, it'll take you even longer if you have to "clean up" with a DE all the time. Try as hard as you can to get on the Straight full time. It makes all the dif.

Top Bottom