What's new

thinking of going with the flow....i.e. a Thater

I'm a self-professed fan of the Simpson Chubby line. I like whacking myself in the face every morning with a luxurious wall of dense badger.

That said, on the off day when I pick up my Shavemac 177 or Simpson Berkeley I do appreciate the increased flow from a less dense brush.

Recently I've been eyeing those plexi-handled Thaters. Very retro and, in a sense, the antithesis of the classic Simpson brushes in terms of style.

Question is: Will the flow/feel of one of those larger Thaters be significantly different from, say, my CH3 in 2-band super? Or am I just wasting my money on a redundant brush at this point?

Recently I've been eyeing those plexi-handled Thaters. Very retro and, in a sense, the antithesis of the classic Simpson brushes in terms of style. Question is: Will the flow/feel of one of those larger Thaters be significantly different from, say, my CH3 in 2-band super? Or am I just wasting my money on a redundant brush at this point?

So here is my Simpson Tulip (T3) in Super which is the Simpson I own that I think is the most similar to my Thater. The Thater is a 49125-2 and you'll notice that the knots & lofts are the same dimensions. The Simpson bloomed more which as you know from your Shavemac seems to be generally the case with English vs German (that's been my experience anyway). I would say that, density aside, the Thater has a bit more backbone and loads triple milled soaps better, while the Simpson feels a bit softer and generates an awesome bowl lather. Both are really fantastic brushes.

Attachments

• $Image 1.jpg
    $Image 1.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 121
  • $Image 2.jpg
    $Image 2.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 120
I sincerely hope you didn't come here hoping to be dissuaded from buying one. :lol:

Quite the contrary, in fact. I would never post on B&B if I wasn't looking for someone to steer me into a purchase.

I do believe Face&Head has presented me with a conundrum though. It is ironic in fact. The Tulip 3 in 2-band was the other brush I was considering. Not sure what attracted me to it other than it was a Simpsons that I don't have and it seemed to be about the right size/shape. I do love the Simpson 2-band. I do hesitate to buy another Simpson though without trying another brand (the only non-Simpson brushes I have are my Shavemac 177 and 10-year old EJ BB).

My initial observations when I received my new thater was that it was a lot less dense than my Simpson. I was initially concerned that this may be an issue, but that concern melted away upon it's first use. Soft with a fantastic flow-through. I think it may be my favorite brush. I actually considered buying another as apparently these two-band versions are a limited production run.

proxy.php

Good luck.

Steve

Purchased a Thater two-band bulb a couple weeks ago. Just sold a Simpson, M&F and VDH to fund the my pruchase yesterday of another Thater two-band in a fan shape. Great brushes. No hesitation recommending these brushes. I only wish they would make a two-band with the plexi handle.

Top Bottom