What's new

Thinking about Straight

Thinking about getting a straight to try out and use once in a while for kicks. all the stuff for sharping seems like to much work I have seen some that have a disposable blade like a double edge are they any good and what would be a good one.

Don -
It is all part of the zen of straight shaving. I use both but prefer my straights after learning the basics.
OK, I am not being much help for your question. I use a Merkur Vision for double edge shaving but others that have a broader selection of razors may have strong recommendations for another type.
Steve

I wanted to do the same thing and tried the FROMM with the disposible blades. It was unbalanced and hard to use. Downright dangerous in fact. I have heard some people using the DOVO Shavette as well. For my straight razor curiosity I purchased a Feather "Artist Club" RG. While you do not use exactly the same technique with it as you do a tradiitonal straight it is enough to whet my appetite for now.

Joel has a fine review of the Feather here.

You won't need to hone the razor but a couple times year. If you only use the razor a couple times a week, a pasted paddle or bench strop will keep you in business for very, very long time. You can send the razor(s) out for honing when required.

Jordan

You won't need to hone the razor but a couple times year. If you only use the razor a couple times a week, a pasted paddle or bench strop will keep you in business for very, very long time. You can send the razor(s) out for honing when required.

Jordan

How often do you have to uce that paddle or Strop?

It varies widely from person to person. Some guys use the pasted paddle every few weeks, some every few months. You use an unpasted strop before every shave to align the edge.

Do you use both? and if not which is better?

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
They actually do different things so in theory at least you need both. The hanging strop is a tool for daily use, prior to each shave to align the edge of the razor. It works much like a chef's steel. A paddle is usually treated with an abrasive or several abrasives of different grits and actually removes metal...sharpening in the traditional sense. An abrasive paddle is not a must but is a tool that can postpone the need to a real honing for a long time as well as complimenting a hone by providing a finer polish to the edge than most hones could do.

A basic rundown would be using a hanging strop daily, an abrasive paddle of some type monthly (or bi-monthly) and a real stone or hone (or sending out your razor) once or twice a year. If skipping the abrasive paddle step you would substitute the hone/stone at the monthly (bi-monthly) level.

Actual use may vary with the razors you own, your beard toughness and skill level in both stropping and honing but this is a basic outline.

Tony

Thanks I think I am going to give one a try, Is there one brand better then the other and also are the blades really different as you go up the brand ladder or are you paying for the handles.

You might want to check www.billysblades.com aka Bill Ellis. He has a few straights left, great prices and they come as sharp as they get. He is a member here so you can send him a pm.

Gary
Thanks I think I am going to give one a try, Is there one brand better then the other and also are the blades really different as you go up the brand ladder or are you paying for the handles.

How about some ideas on brands I got recommendations from you all of you on everything I have bought trust your opinions. Also is there any difference Options for lack of better words) in Straights to look for.

Top Bottom