What's new

Thinking about buying a Rockwell T2

Hello all, I'm new here and am thinking about buying a Rockwell T2 DE Safety razor. Does anyone have experience with one of these? Should I get the white chrome or brushed chrome; what are the advantages or disadvantages of these finishes?

I have the brushed chrome finish. The polished finish will more readily show scatches, but I would expect both to have the same durability otherwise.

Been using the T2 Stainless Steel razor for the last few days. It has a nice weight to it, allowing the head to easily work against the face. It is a mild razor, in general; a bit milder than the standard T2. I've used it on setting 5 and it's smooth. You can hear the audible sound as the razor works across the hair. In my last shave (I think it's the 4th) using the same Gillette Platinum blade, I did catch a slight weeper on my throat area, but that was more likely more to me trying to get a bit cleaner shave in a troublesome spot than anything else. After the a really smooth shave with setting 5, I lowered it to 3 for some cleanup work. After rinsing my face, I set the razor to 1 and did more cleanup buffing on my dry face. The end result was a very close shave with no irritation (other than the one weeper).

I said it was mild. Blade gaps are 1) .32 2) .39 3) .52 4) .63 5) .79 and 6) .9

The knobs to adjust the setting and the knob to open the butterfly top are firm, but not too firm. You likely won't have issue changing settings or opening the razor, but it's not something that you'll do accidentally, either.

The finish is rather raw but looks good. I did get the matching stand, as well. I was able to score a 20% discount on my purchase, and the combo of the stand and razor was discounted, as well.

In the image below, you can see the number 4. The razor was actually set to 2 when the picture was taken. There's a red line to indicate what setting you have selected.

Loading the razor blade is a simple task of using the lower knob to open the butterfly top and dropping a blade in and twisting the knurled knob to close.

So far, I'm enjoying using this razor. Trying to find the sweet spot settings for my face. Likely going to be 5 or 6 for the first pass (maybe 3 or 4) for the neck and throat). On 4, it's very close to the Henson AL13+ that I have, albeit you can change your angle with the T2, which you can't really accomplish with the Henson.

I struggled with whether I wanted to buy this razor or the Rex Ambassador and @Whiterook gave me a bit of insight. I don't have a real heavy beard and thought that the milder T2 might be a wiser choice, but it was the discount code that popped up while perusing the website that swayed me in the end.

Overall, I'm pleased with the razor and it is a keeper for me. The only blade that I've used so far has been the Gillette Platinum, but I'll be trying a few others that I have to see what suits my fancy best.
IMG_0795.jpeg

Been using the T2 Stainless Steel razor for the last few days. It has a nice weight to it, allowing the head to easily work against the face. It is a mild razor, in general; a bit milder than the standard T2. I've used it on setting 5 and it's smooth. You can hear the audible sound as the razor works across the hair. In my last shave (I think it's the 4th) using the same Gillette Platinum blade, I did catch a slight weeper on my throat area, but that was more likely more to me trying to get a bit cleaner shave in a troublesome spot than anything else. After the a really smooth shave with setting 5, I lowered it to 3 for some cleanup work. After rinsing my face, I set the razor to 1 and did more cleanup buffing on my dry face. The end result was a very close shave with no irritation (other than the one weeper).

I said it was mild. Blade gaps are 1) .32 2) .39 3) .52 4) .63 5) .79 and 6) .9

The knobs to adjust the setting and the knob to open the butterfly top are firm, but not too firm. You likely won't have issue changing settings or opening the razor, but it's not something that you'll do accidentally, either.

The finish is rather raw but looks good. I did get the matching stand, as well. I was able to score a 20% discount on my purchase, and the combo of the stand and razor was discounted, as well.

In the image below, you can see the number 4. The razor was actually set to 2 when the picture was taken. There's a red line to indicate what setting you have selected.

Loading the razor blade is a simple task of using the lower knob to open the butterfly top and dropping a blade in and twisting the knurled knob to close.

So far, I'm enjoying using this razor. Trying to find the sweet spot settings for my face. Likely going to be 5 or 6 for the first pass (maybe 3 or 4) for the neck and throat). On 4, it's very close to the Henson AL13+ that I have, albeit you can change your angle with the T2, which you can't really accomplish with the Henson.

I struggled with whether I wanted to buy this razor or the Rex Ambassador and @Whiterook gave me a bit of insight. I don't have a real heavy beard and thought that the milder T2 might be a wiser choice, but it was the discount code that popped up while perusing the website that swayed me in the end.

Overall, I'm pleased with the razor and it is a keeper for me. The only blade that I've used so far has been the Gillette Platinum, but I'll be trying a few others that I have to see what suits my fancy best.
IMG_0795.jpeg
Thank you for your informative review; it is very helpful! I did end up buying one but haven't received it yet. I got the white chrome model at a substantial discount and also had a nice coupon so I got it for about $102. Looking forward to receiving it in the mail this week!

Just for the record I had one and I didn't like it. I think for the money there are better adjustable razors. For me it was just too large, but the shave itself wasn't bad. I had the chrome version, never tried the SS but the size and weight don't appeal to me.

I have the gunmetal chrome T2 and can confirm it’s an excellent, very smooth shaver. The TTO mechanism does require a little more effort than some adjustables, but the overall comfort of the razor is worth it.

Keep us posted on how you like it!

I'm still enjoying this razor. I've shaved with it from all settings with various blades and have had nothing but smooth shaves. I typically shave daily with a setting of 3 or 4. This morning, I had it set at 6 for 2 passes, then set it at the minimum setting for some touch up work. It's a versatile razor that suits my needs well.

I have not seen any issues with the TTO mechanism. Mine works smoothly, opening and closing the razor and adjusting the dial.

Top Bottom