What's new

The Worst Thing About Testing New Blade Brands

I'm currently in Test Mode all over. Here's my experience:

I shaved for over 10 years with a Merkur 34C and Astra SP blades. I settled on the Astras out of the sample pack I got when I started DE shaving. It was the right combo of smoothness and efficiency for me.

However, I've gotten older and my beard is much coarser now. The 34C/Astra combo just wasn't cutting it anymore (literally) and gave more irritation. Also, I had unfortunately gotten a box of Astras that were clearly bootlegs and gave me rough shaves.

I ordered West Coast Shaving's largest sample pack and am working through them. At the same time, I decided to get more aggressive with the razors and got a Muhle R41. Just this past week, I added a Razorock German 37 to the collection, which I'm going to shave with for the first time tomorrow.

So, I've got a lot of testing to do. Since there are a LOT of new variables in play, here's what I'm doing:
  • Consistent shaving schedule. Four times a week based on my hybrid work schedule
  • Consistent prep and technique. WTG and then a hybrid XTG/ATG pattern I've developed over the years.
  • Razor rotation -- One week per razor using the same blade type (fresh blade each week).
  • Spreadsheeting my evaluations. After a few months of this, I'll be able to make informed buying decisions.
The key to blade testing is to keep the other variables consistent. For beginners, I recommend settling on a nice neutral blade (you may have to try a few at first to get one that feels smooth) and then working on technique. Once you're a veteran, you'll be able to test blades and razors more easily.

As a newbie....is knicking myself frequently. I guess my technique is terrible despite my trying to use no pressure, ride the cap, and take short strokes.

More earned experience with shaving with a safety razor will remedy this. But I guess it takes time and I am a slow learner. Part of it is I don't get many opportunities to practice being an every other day guy and I keep a goatee.
Go slow and no pressure.

Testing other blades?; I would recommend it......; seems like it cannot get worse? but it could get better.....

We are all different, I have used many and have tried a lot (thanks to Grundi organized blade tryouts and comparissons).

I get irritation with few but not really cuts....if I get weepers I usually will avoid that blade and if they do not cut easily.....stop.

Use any slick soap well hydrated and ..... try different blades..... (just make sure the blade is well aligned in your razor) and that the razor is not crooked itself.

If your handle is the Y axis.... , do not move the head in the X axis (this is how real cuts happen).

More earned experience with shaving with a safety razor will remedy this. But I guess it takes time and I am a slow learner. Part of it is I don't get many opportunities to practice being an every other day guy and I keep a goatee.

Just like everyone else...

my technique is terrible despite my trying to use no pressure, ride the cap, and take short strokes.

Riding the cap is just one technique. Probably the least popular way to DE shave.

Whatever works for you. I don't ride the cap at all. Just find the angle that works best and go.

Riding the cap is not a natural feel to me. I am doubtful that this technique is behind the razor design? It is certainly not for single blade and cartridge razor designs.

Something that is rarely mentioned is how the skin on your face adapts to DE shaving over time.

Are your skills improving? Yes, probably but maybe your skin is also adapting? This may take some time. I don't even know if it is a real thing. I'm thinking that it does play a part in less irritation?

Top Bottom