What's new

THE VEG…what a letdown

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Those Hungarian Hussars must have been tough mofos to wear the Veg
🤔 I have it on good authority they were so tough, they used pliers to rip out their nose hair, so the Veg could be better smelled.

They tossed grenades filled with the stuff into enemy bunkers. You'd come running out, too.

Rumor has it Pablo Picasso splashed it on when he painted "Guernica," considering it a worthy hallucinogenic. Warhol, they say, drank it.

AA

Last edited:

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
My limited experience is that, while it is truly vile, it lasts only a brief time.

During that time, I am reminded of childhood disappointment, my grandmother’s purse, funeral homes (more precisely, flowers at memorial services), and clothes hampers. It smells like sadness, had sadness a smell.

I think it exists so people will buy other, more pleasant, things. Bug spray, sun screen, calamine lotion, and Absorbine Jr. come to mind.

YMMV, of course.

Lillac Vegetal is horrible out of a plastic bottle, but improves significantly as soon as you decant it into a glass bottle.
I have heard that decanting it to a glass bottle helps, and having a "Sterling Six" Avon decanter filled with "Leather" scent that I just couldn't get along with, so I decided to dump the remainder, clean and "decant" my plastic bottle of Veg. Once empty I washed with dawn a few times, then filled with vinegar and left it for a few days and rinsed and dried. Then I searched for a small funnel and a new stopper--yesterday I "decanted" the Veg outside (wore rubber gloves), spilled some, but finally ended up with a completely full bottle in the Avon container. Because I spilled some when "decanting" the bottle smelled of the Veg and not wanting to make my closet smell faintly of Veg, I washed the now-filled bottle with dawn and lukewarm water set it in the right-hand side of the sink. I washed my hands in the other sink when I heard a muffled "pop" and the sound of glass breaking from the right sink and I got a strong scent of the veg.... The whole car decanter had broken into three large pieces (mostly) and the entire contents washed down the sink--I was so shocked and grateful that it happened in the sink and not in my cabinet, counter or in my hand. All I can figure is that I failed to leave an air barrier and the alcohol absorbed the tiniest bit of heat from the lukewarm water, expanded and caused the bottle to fail. Oddly enough, I lost a whole bottle of the Veg, but I'm not upset, just grateful. I still have Brut splash to use when I want to freshen up when needed, but I won't be buying the Veg again, I'm also not sure I'll decant other bottles, and if I do, I'll always leave a little bit of air in the bottle.

I tried a tiny sample on my forearm once.

The stench wouldn't go away even after I washed my arm with soap and water!

I'm not sure, but I think it finally disappeared completely only after I had shed all those skin cells and replaced them with new ones.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
I have heard that decanting it to a glass bottle helps, and having a "Sterling Six" Avon decanter filled with "Leather" scent that I just couldn't get along with, so I decided to dump the remainder, clean and "decant" my plastic bottle of Veg. Once empty I washed with dawn a few times, then filled with vinegar and left it for a few days and rinsed and dried. Then I searched for a small funnel and a new stopper--yesterday I "decanted" the Veg outside (wore rubber gloves), spilled some, but finally ended up with a completely full bottle in the Avon container. Because I spilled some when "decanting" the bottle smelled of the Veg and not wanting to make my closet smell faintly of Veg, I washed the now-filled bottle with dawn and lukewarm water set it in the right-hand side of the sink. I washed my hands in the other sink when I heard a muffled "pop" and the sound of glass breaking from the right sink and I got a strong scent of the veg.... The whole car decanter had broken into three large pieces (mostly) and the entire contents washed down the sink--I was so shocked and grateful that it happened in the sink and not in my cabinet, counter or in my hand. All I can figure is that I failed to leave an air barrier and the alcohol absorbed the tiniest bit of heat from the lukewarm water, expanded and caused the bottle to fail. Oddly enough, I lost a whole bottle of the Veg, but I'm not upset, just grateful. I still have Brut splash to use when I want to freshen up when needed, but I won't be buying the Veg again, I'm also not sure I'll decant other bottles, and if I do, I'll always leave a little bit of air in the bottle.
I think the decanter committed suicide. Buon'anima.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
I finally bit the bullet and ordered a travel size bottle of the the dreaded veg.

I was expecting a stink bomb of epic proportion, but all I got was a tiny hint of lilac from the bottle, and mostly baby powder once on the skin. Quite old-lady and boring actually.

Will be transferring to glass and set it aside for a few months to see what happens.
Put it in a Tiki torch and light it. It'll keep bugs away.

I did spill some of the Veg when I decanted it -- I did it in the driveway, and had a napkin underneath and despite the recent rain and humid weather, the Veg ignited immediately and the alcohol burns very hot and invisible, but with the napkin as a wick it burned a good 5 minutes or more before it discolored the napkin, but you could see and feel the heat waves coming off of it.

Top Bottom