What's new

The Thin Blue Smoke thread VIII- BBQ at the B&B

Did some German style chops last night. $20160801_183605.jpg
Smoked then grilled. PDG.

tonight the Akorn cook was Korean short ribs! 24 hour marinade and then on to direct heat once the grill was at about 350°....these were a first for me and they were a big hit....great flavor! Served with some simple white rice and a caprese salad with basil from the garden....may not be a typical side for this dish, but it was great!

$kr3.jpg$kr4.jpg

Ok, Ok, Ok...

You guys have forced me to plan on firing up the smoker this weekend, despite the 100+F heat here in Texas. I guess that's what cold beer is for...

A buddy and I are in a BBQ competition for the county fair this weekend.

Pork Loin and Beef roast are on the menu.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds fun. By beef roast, do mean brisket?

Good luck Josh, have fun.

It's a cut of meat im not entirely familiar with.

Its actually called clod heart roast or shoulder center roast.

It appears to be a very lean cut of meat.

So we will likely smoke it for a few hours, foil it for the majority of the cook and smoke unfoiled for the last hour to help the bark a bit.

We get the meat tonight so we will see what kind of fat content it has..........might be a challenge to make it tasty and not dry.

I think I heard it's like a 10# roast which has to be presented for judging by noon.

That means we will have to start EARLY!!

I did a couple hunks of Boars Head bologna today....one I smeared with mustard and then some rub, the other was left plain.

$sb.jpg

we're eating the plain one first....had it on a sandwich this morning and it was absolutely delicious!!

$sb2.jpg

I'm up early this morning. 2 pork shoulders, 2 brisket points, and a turkey breast over a mix of hickory and applewood on before 6am. Corn on the cob will go in later, as will 8 beautiful hatch chile peppers (it is that time of the year). I'm doing it in my MasterBuilt propane smoker. Very simple temp control and not much fuss with the airflow.

proxy.php

Brisket is rubbed and ready. Somewhat of a difficult time getting the WSM going this morning; not sure why.

I really gotta get one of those Looftlighters
$image.jpg

Last edited:
Didn't have time to take pictures of finished product as we running around with our heads cut off. We ended taking 1st in the people's choice award which was $300 plus a handful of other goodies as well. Here's some pics from our day.

$image.jpg
$image.jpg
$image.jpg

You Nebraska boys do know how to cook. I was at an event once many years ago outside of Franklin, NE. Outstanding BBQ. The Pitmaster knew his craft quite well. Tell you what...I'll swap you my award winning brisket rub recipe (yes, I too won a competition using this rub) for the one you guys used to win that contest?? Deal??

Top Bottom