What's new

The “Swiss Army” Handgun Collection

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Fixed your post.. ;)

Good fix. If I were to get any of the P220s, the Legion series is probably the one that I'd get. I could care less about the coin, case, and exclusive club that comes with purchasing a Legion, but the grips on the P220 Legion makes it the most comfortable of the various models and series of Sig pistols. Plus, the triggers on those Legions are amazing.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Good fix. If I were to get any of the P220s, the Legion series is probably the one that I'd get. I could care less about the coin, case, and exclusive club that comes with purchasing a Legion, but the grips on the P220 Legion makes it the most comfortable of the various models and series of Sig pistols. Plus, the triggers on those Legions are amazing.

I personally don't care for the way full size Sig pistols frame and slide design, puts the barrels bore axis too high and forward for my taste/preference,

RAP-height.jpg

but I agree with you on the triggers; and Legion's are just pretty.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Cleaned the Pico up and did a lube job. Range this morning and ran a box of ammo through it. All old ball stuff. No failure to fire, a couple failure to loads, no ejection failures and by the third magazine the FTLs stopped for the rest of the session. Biggest problem required a magazine tap and it racked fully.

I like the magazine release, didn't think I would. It did require a change but certainly easier than the old mag butt release.

Both mags are functional and I get 1½ fingers on the flat base plate version. Control was good with both but the rear sight was off so all were to the left slightly. When I got home I adjusted the sight and hopefully that will help. The sight takes a 0.05 hexhead wrench but easy to adjust or change out.

Takedown is about the easiest I have ever found on a pistol. Really well thought out.

I had quite a few pocket holsters but they are all too big for the Pico. It rattles around in them. This sucker really is slim. I have a nylon pocket holster on order from Beretta as well as a second frame and additional flat base mag. I can see this as a regular weak side carry item.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Pics, man, pics!
K

Basics.

The Beretta Pico is a 6+1 380 with a MAXIMUM width of 18mm, 11.5 ounce unloaded weight and double action only hammer fired. Sights are kinda adjustable, windage only but not something to do in the field. It comes with two magazines, one flat bottom and one with a finger extension.

What I liked most about it.

Small.

Very simple field strip routine.

Few parts to lose.

No magazine safety. Let's you drop the mag and reload with one live in the chamber.

Relatively light and smooth trigger with a clean break.

Reasonable reset.

I do wish the grip was about 2mm longer.

Of the two magazines I was actually more comfortable with the short flat bottom one and it was certainly more pocket friendly. The extended mag will be strictly backup.

Pictures:

The rug that comes with it.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

For takedown you turn the piece above the trigger one quarter turn widdershins and the upper slides off. The base plate of the flat base mag works perfectly for that or use a coin.
proxy.php

The extended mag.
proxy.php

You can see a ridge about 2mm below the base of the grip and that is where I wish they had stopped. That would be near perfect for me and allow a full two finger grip.

Here you can see the slide release in the down position. Instead of pushing this release is pull down from either side and the mags are positively ejected.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Slide off.
proxy.php

Pieces parts.
proxy.php

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
So the mag release requires use of the off hand? Or can it be done with the shooting hand's thumb?

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
So the mag release requires use of the off hand? Or can it be done with the shooting hand's thumb?
Either hand. It's fully ambi, one hand or two. I tend to use two (thumb & index) by also holding the new mag in the off hand and pull, let drop and insert with eyes down range and one still in the chamber. Often I'll drop the mag early and even with one or two still in the old mag just to get a full set online.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
View attachment 933116 View attachment 933117 Yeah... I keep telling myself I should get a .22 revolver. Someday I ‘m certain one will find its way into the safe.
My S&W 629 .44 Magnum sees some use in the back hills but in the same environment I would rather have my .45-70 in hand.

Can you post a pic of your 45-70? I have not too long ago, picked up my first lever action Marlin .30-.30 and am considering two more lever actions. You have convinced me, the .22 will definitely be a Henry and I want a .45-70.

Will need a bigger safe also, probably a Fat Boy incoming. :)

Top Bottom