What's new

The Straight Shaving Quest

I have been a DE shaver for about a year now but have always wanted to try a straight razor. So I went to the fabled BST on B&B and the rest was history.

Setup:
Tom Keen Wedge
Poor Mans Strop

Shave One:
Today was my first shave. First off I would like to state that I did not die from loss of blood :biggrin1: I did 3 passes all WTG/XTG, I figured I will wait till I am comfortable before doing a ATG. I luckily did not cut my self that much. My biggest complaint right now is the razor burn. How can I fix this? I think I may have had too much of an angle on the blade. The burn is really only on the neck, mostly the left side. I think it might be because I tried using my left hand to hold the razor. Also I dinged up the strop a little, just on the edges, but I assume stropping will come with practice. I plan to use a butter knife to practice (read it somewhere on B&B) to improve my technique.

As always comments are welcome. If you need more information to answer my questions or provide help please ask and I will to the best of my ability provide answers.

One B&B member said they practiced off hand shaving using a butter knife. You might want to give that a go and see if it helps.

Your burn is more than likely odd angle from your (uncomfortable) off hand shave.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Wrong angle+too much pressure=burn :smile:

Time+perseverance=shave nirvana :smile:

Glad you made the switch!

I too have done the same thing you have Blorkin I made the switch about 6 months ago, and have not looked back. Welcome to a whole new world. I am still learning. Remember that pressure is your enemy, and good stretching of your face means a closer shave.

Just wait until RAD sets in........if it has'nt already.

Jon

+1 to the guys above. There are so many variables in your hands right now, it's impossible to guess the culprit. They've pointed out the usuall suspects.

Patience is the key right now. Stick with it, and don't let frustration get the best of you.

Welcome aboard....

Shave Two:
I have been really busy so I never got around to posting about my second shave. I have gotten a little better with my left hand, I think this might have something to do with confidence. There was also no razor burn :w00t: I did give myself a nice gash under my lip so I was wondering what the best way to shave around you mouth? Also I cut my nose but I think this is because I was just careless. Shave 3 will be happening either tomorrow or the next day.

Shave Three
Well I just finished shave 3. Ended up using a 90 degree angle for a second...I have learned my lesson. Other than that my shave was ok, the reason for this is because I feel the razor pull every hair. I guess it's like snagging? I am not exactly sure how to describe it but it feels like it's pulling each hair. Go this be attributed to angle or to little/much pressure? Or could it be that my lather is not perfect? I am not exactly sure. I think I am going to keep my brush and soap constant from now on just to help eliminate variables. All suggestion and comments are appreciated. Thank You.

Top Bottom