What's new

The Sharp Dressed Man (images) .

$th-13.jpeg

​He gets it together ...

... Here's Derby Day Style ...

$kentucky-Derby-Hats4-670x670.jpg

And Three Older Gents sporting around somewhere , looks like Europe , but who knows ... Nice Fedoras and Overcoats , Styling ...

$OverCoats and Hats as seen from Pitti.jpg

Look like they're on the hunt ... .

I'm not sure how he dresses in real life, but the character of Harvey Spector in the TV show Suits seems to have it together.

$harveyspecter.jpg

Haha ! Yeah , Models ... skinny , scrawny , clothes too small . I know what you mean . Or tattoos all over and piercings , too , Trendies . What's next ? Let a movie , movie star or popular musician promote it , it'll be hip and cool , dumb and dumber the better . But I do remember when (some still do) men seemed to wear their pants higher , exposing their socks . The redneck hoodlums kept dressing that way , remember the song , "Rednecks , White socks , and Blue Ribbon Beer" ? I snuck into a dive at 15 or 16 , they'd serve anyone crazy enough to come in there , the Hoods where dancing , greased up , high waters , white socks ! Haha ! You'll do anything at 15-16 , called the Hide Away < it was worse than you can imagine , like a wild movie on steroids from the 50s or 60s . I'm sure I was bug eyed seeing it all .

Harvey does have it together on the show .

High waters and clothes that are generally too small? Can we possibly accentuate scrawny more than that?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
... I guess High Waters are in ?

Well, no.

At least not in terms of "style". Yes, they were "the height of fashion" back in 2014 or so, but fashion sways back and forth from one extreme to another ... but style stays away from that sort of back and forth, and changes only gradually.

High waters and clothes that are generally too small? Can we possibly accentuate scrawny more than that?

They all look like dismal, twerp-y, failures. And, what's the deal with stubble, unshaven, scraggly faces?

I'm so grateful to be out-of-style.

From some of these - not all but some - putting on a tie (however badly tied, Ewen...) and sports jacket seems to be all that is required to be sharply dressed.
One might suggest one should raise the bar.

Haha , I know what you mean . Sharp Dressed has gone down in expectations . But there are several knots ties can be tied in , windsor , the around the tree and down the hole (30s look , I like , unless it's formal) , and the others . That would make a good pole , which tie knot do you prefer ? ... I remember in the 70s the late 70s , the Bigger the know the better , then the 80s came and ties went skinny like in the 60s , lapels , too , 70s big collars (goofy) came in , then out . It seems at certain times extremes pop up . But classic moderation is always stylish . ... I hated the HUGE knots , it became ridiculous , like the victorian era (I think it was), almost . I prefer normal size ties , and average knots . A good tie can make or break a suit .

Then there was the no tie , closed collar thing from the 60s that popped up again in the 80s , suit or no suit , casual , jacket or not .

From some of these - not all but some - putting on a tie (however badly tied, Ewen...) and sports jacket seems to be all that is required to be sharply dressed.
One might suggest one should raise the bar.

Last edited:
I'm quite happy with a half windsor, If I have to wear one.
By the examples here, other than a tie I'm quite the dapper one. So yes, raise the bar :)

Well, no. At least not in terms of "style". Yes, they were "the height of fashion" back in 2014 or so, but fashion sways back and forth from one extreme to another ... but style stays away from that sort of back and forth, and changes only gradually.

Boys have bling
Men have fashion
Gentlemen have style

Last edited:
Top Bottom