What's new

The Scandal Sheet: Straights and other stuff

I was thinking that this weekend as I blasted down the road in the very windy conditions, the KTM with its small almost useless faring, would have been miserable. If I had taken the KTM to my daughter's house it would not have been a pleasant trip. I'm too old for that chit.
Just remembered when my dear wife and I used to ride and it was cicada brood season. It was no fun riding around without faring either. It was like you were getting pelted by hail riding through a swarm of them.

Just remembered when my dear wife and I used to ride and it was cicada brood season. It was no fun riding around without faring either. It was like you were getting pelted by hail riding through a swarm of them.
Ohh yeah, I rode at dusk this past Friday to get that picture of the St Ann's Catholic Church, my jacket and helmet had the bugs to prove it. You should have seen the faces my daughter and sister made when they attempted to hug me and my bug-smattered jacket. Priceless memories.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Yep we are in the zone as well for XIX. I hope my small fruit trees will survive. They can really damage young trees.
Cicada taco time is near. 🤢🤮

cicadatacopic-1.jpg

That's funny. Years ago I was riding my Honda 750 Custom (no windshield) to BC and back. As John said the bugs were plentiful. And the water beetles...Damn that was like getting hit with a rock. As I got back home I decided to stop and see the GF. She was happy to see I was still vertical but made me take my jacket off outside and then very nicely came out to clean it off. I thought that was pretty cool. So I sat there having a beer and a smoke while she cleaned my jacket. Now it was a dark blue leather jacket and the cleaning stuff she used definitely got the bugs off along with a good amount of blue dye. Oops. The front of the jacket was now much lighter than the back. Hmm. So I took the cleaner etc and proceeded to make the back of the coat and sleeves the same as the front. Took a bit but I was in no hurry. I now had a light blue leather jacket. And it didn't look too bad either. The GF apologized and basically made up for it a bit later.

c532096426f7313e365c22566fec1ae6.gif

That's funny. Years ago I was riding my Honda 750 Custom (no windshield) to BC and back. As John said the bugs were plentiful. And the water beetles...Damn that was like getting hit with a rock. As I got back home I decided to stop and see the GF. She was happy to see I was still vertical but made me take my jacket off outside and then very nicely came out to clean it off. I thought that was pretty cool. So I sat there having a beer and a smoke while she cleaned my jacket. Now it was a dark blue leather jacket and the cleaning stuff she used definitely got the bugs off along with a good amount of blue dye. Oops. The front of the jacket was now much lighter than the back. Hmm. So I took the cleaner etc and proceeded to make the back of the coat and sleeves the same as the front. Took a bit but I was in no hurry. I now had a light blue leather jacket. And it didn't look too bad either. The GF apologized and basically made up for it a bit later.

View attachment 1834575
The trip to Sturgis was a bug-filled one. No big ones, just little gnat type bugs. I had a detachable windshield, which I left in place as we were always riding at dusk. The bugs had a green hue to them when smattered on the bike. My Harley looked like it had a green peach fuzz over the mate black paint job. I am not one to spend time cleaning my bike, especially when on vacation. Besides it had developed an issue that the dealership was going to have to look into when I got home and they always clean the bikes. I remember one guy at the motel we stayed at in Deadwood South Dakota, he'd see us pulling up most evenings, no doubt seeing an ever-increasing amount of green fuzz on my bike, and one day he asked me, "Ya going to clean that bike?" "Nope, the dealership will when I get home." When I picked up the bike after the dealership had completed the repairs, one of the shop hands asked when was the last time I washed the bike. I told him 4500 miles ago, that's the total miles we racked up on that trip.

Late post...routine is thrown off, working from home today because a kid is under the weather. Which means, taking care of home stuff while managing the inbox.

Shave was great. Rigarazor was accompanied by the Fatip Retro with a fresh Nacet. Getting closer to the end of the Beeswax. I'm guessing it won't be gone before the refill gets here though.
20240423_072627.jpg
20240423_072705.jpg

Spent the morning working on a pair of pruning shears that my bride left on the screen porch over the winter. Got them cleaned up and sharp. Managed to let the cat escape as I was coming in from field testing them. After a brief back and forth in the backyard that would have done Benny Hill proud, I chased her around front and thought I'd lost her. But, I'd left the garage door open, and I thought, maybe she's in there. As I was catching my breath, I heard some pathetic mewing from inside the garage. Sure enough, she'd wedged herself into the front fender well of the car. She wasn't stuck but I don't think she realized that. So I maintained eye contact while I shut the garage door and she kept mewling until I scooped her out and tossed her in the house. All's well that ends well, she came over a few minutes later for cuddles and scritches as I sat on the couch with the kid.

Be well.
20240423_083204.jpg
20240423_115725.jpg

Had a delightful experience tonight. Not shave related.

The boy child messaged me earlier today to see if I could pick him up from his tennis match to get him to a rehearsal tonight. His youth orchestra was doing a "side by side" with the Minnesota Orchestra where they got to sit in with the Mn Orch and their conductor to rehearse one of their pieces. I was free so I said, sure.

So I got to his match, which he won 6-4, 6-0, and then we headed down to orchestra hall. Turns out, friends and family could sit in on the rehearsal. So I did, of course. It was a great experience for them, the musicians seemed really into the idea of working with these kids and the conductor is quite gifted as well. Afterwards there was a brief reception which I was looking forward to, I've collaborated a few times with the principal trombonist but we've kind of lost touch over the intervening years.

So I got to catch up with him, it turns out he is teaching part time at Northwestern (they fly him out every other week) so if the boy ends up there (likely) they'll probably run into each other occasionally.

The other cool thing, throughout the rehearsal I kept thinking the principal bassist looked quite familiar but I couldn't place her. So I happened to run into her during the reception and as it turns out we were in grad school together 25 years ago. So we chatted and she had some great practical advice for the boy as well.

Wasn't anticipating running into old acquaintances tonight but it was really nice.

Not yet. They do help. I have my first appointment with an ENT and audiologist later this week, so will probably get some answers there. I hope. Generally speaking with the sort of condition I have, they would want to make sure the hearing loss is stabilized before prescribing hearing aids-- which is was my wife's experience, she had to wait several months and was frankly miserable but is pretty happy with hers.

I actually don't think I have a lot of hearing loss yet, so it's unlikely that I'll be getting hearing aids anytime soon. One of the things with these middle/inner ear disorders is if they can prevent or at least minimize the attacks, they can prevent permanent hearing loss. So hopefully we're catching this early enough...and while my current levels of tinnitus are annoying, I can live with it. For now.

Part of me worries that I'm just crazy and they'll tell me there's nothing wrong with me. I mean, I am crazy, but not in that way. So.
Good luck with this. I hope that you don't have to wait too long for treatment - and - I hope your health insurance covers the hearing aids. I've been using Phonaks for the past 4 years and have had good experience. But, I do not have tinnitus.

I've had tinnitus since I was a teen after a deer hunting incident... dad was using a new rifle that had gas venting on the chamber and I was right in the wrong place when we scared up a couple muleys out of a draw. Had a partial perforation of the eardrum but it healed and I got pretty used to it. This current thing is new, though. More intrusive and I also get episodes where I'll lose hearing in one ear or the other followed by screaming loud tinnitus for 30 seconds to a few minutes.

That, and the vertigo.

I considered it. I probably could have done it if I skipped the scissors. But, wasn't sure how she would take it, so yeah, a SAFETY razor seemed like the safest bet. LOL.
For me it was loud music in college and pistol shooting as an adult.

I also had a windshield on my bikes which really helped with deflecting wind away from the head but also enabled me to ride longer...no windshield really tires you our quickly. I gotta start using the aids...I paid enough for them. Oh yeah one other benefit is when my phone rings it goes to my aids immediately no more having to hold the phone to my head and asking people to speak louder..Hah. And when I'm using my AirPods I can answer the phone by pressing the stem and then a double tap to end the call.
Yep. I often refer to my hearing aids as my customized ear-buds

When I picked up the bike after the dealership had completed the repairs, one of the shop hands asked when was the last time I washed the bike. I told him 4500 miles ago, that's the total miles we racked up on that trip.
Oh they must have been impressed...not. So I guess that after getting your Harley back from the dealership you got on the bike and "bugged out" back home. BADABOOM! Gonna be a good day.

I had a nice, smooth, close shave today. Shumate 222, exemplary American steel, which I touched up on my little Escher stone yesterday. Still working down to the end of the Beeswax. DE was the Fatip, second run on the Nacet and boy, that was really nice. I don't always notice that Nacets improve one shave to the next like some blades but this one sure did. No complaints. Finished up with Myrsol.

Been listening to Symphonie Fantastique by Berlioz the last couple of days. This is one of those pieces that I've listened to so many times I could probably transcribe the score from memory, although it's been a few years since I visited it. Found a recording of Chicago doing it under Abbado's baton. It's a pretty interesting performance, the strings, especially the low strings, really emerge as the stars of the show. Chicago has been known for their brass section for decades, and the brass is phenomenal too, but it sounds...kind of not CSO-like. But in a good way. I think they toned down the usual wall of sound (except for a few notable moments) and really brought a level of warmth and resonance that I don't always hear on their recordings. Can't find where they recorded this, it may not have been the usual hall which would make a difference too.

Be well, all.
20240424_072606.jpg

Top Bottom