What's new

The Pastor uses a waterman!

Good day my badger and blade friends!
I am looking at getting married this coming spring, and afew days ago I was lucky enough to meet my fiancée’s pastor who will be doingthe service. He just wanted a littlemeet to make sure we’re on the same track on the ceremony, and while he wastaking notes I very quickly noticed that he was taking notes with a fountainpen. We talked about how addicting theyare, and how his waterman is a great pen, but it is his only one and he wanted to try differentpens. Since my fiancée and her familyare so active in the church he is allowing us to use the facility and his timefor free. I was thinking of giving himsome cash as a thank you, but feel that It would be more personal if Icould find a pen and some ink.
Should Itry and hit up antique stores for a vintage fountain pen, or should I try andfind a decent one new? I know this is toeach their own, YMMV sort of thing…but I was hoping to get your opinions, andpossibly suggestions.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Nice thought ... I'm sure he'd prefer either ... if it's vintae, make sure it works well.

Check out the Ecclesiastical Stationary Supply website in England to get him some 'for teh clregy' iron gall ink!!

Take a look at the Parson's Essential from Italix (by MrPen.co.uk). Absolutely great pen on its own, stylish but understated, as is befitting a pastor, but the name being what it is, it just make SO much sense!

If his denomination uses holy water, perhaps you could search for one of these

$holywater-parker-65.jpg

Parker Holy Water sprinkler!

Otherwise, I would just give him cash (or a gift certificate to Goulet's)

Tough call. A gift certificate to a pen shop (e.g., Goulet, Anderson, Peyton Street, etc.) would allow him to pick something he prefers or wants to try, but a pen from y'all might mean something more to him.

A good old Parker 45, 51, or 75 in restored/working condition might be a good workhorse for him.

I like the idea. Something understated and unpretentious but high quality seems right. Nothing flashy like a Mont Blanc. A nice Parker 51 sounds good. Maybe a Lamy 2000.

I like the Parker 51 & Lamy 2000 suggestions. If you want something a little less expensive, I've been very impressed with the Esterbrook J I've been using for two months now. Plus the Esterbrook provides a quick story he could tell if someone asks him about it; an inexpensive but quality pen, built to last with what at the time was older technology (lever filler), and also had the innovation of changeable nibs. So a pen of "humble" origins, fitting for someone in a pastor role where they serve others.

Another new pen that came to mind was the Pilot Vanishing Point, but that has the issue of the small converter size, but they are very handy for quick notes due to the retractable nib.

The suggestion for a clean, restored Esterbrook "J" with a 9xxx series nib is excellent. Humble but handsome, high-quality construction, and reasonably priced.

If an esterbrook J or parker 51 were the direction that I wanted to go, is there someplace that would be good to try and pick them up, or just hope that I stumble upon one in the wild? I mean, other than that one obvious place that I shall keep unnamed

If an esterbrook J or parker 51 were the direction that I wanted to go, is there someplace that would be good to try and pick them up, or just hope that I stumble upon one in the wild? I mean, other than that one obvious place that I shall keep unnamed

People sell the restored/working Easterbrook and Parker 51 pens frequently on Fountain Pen Network and Fountain Pen Geeks forums. You can also pick up restored Parker 51's at Fountain Pen Hospital.

I sent you a PM with information on who I bought mine from. I also see that peytonstreetpens.com has a few Esterbrooks listed, just be careful as there are J's, SJ's, and dollar pens listed there. Good luck.

Top Bottom