What's new

The Newbies want to know what 2 quality inexpensive soaps do you recommend and why.

The two soaps I would recommend for a new shaver:

Proraso Green - Extremely easy to lather, a classic scent, and very few instances of skin reactions. The only thing I can think is if you dislike menthol, try the White or Red version. Roughly $8 for 150g (5 cents per gram).

Palmolive - Sticks really helped me to learn how to lather, great scent, a tallow soap, very easy to lather. Can be used as a stick or put into a bowl. $3 for 50g (6 cents per gram).

Stirling - easy to lather, inexpensive, excellent value, lots of smell choices, if you choose a menthol soap choose an non-menthol too... Don't let your like or dislike of menthol make your "I like or don't like" decision.

For someone completely new to traditional wet-shaving, I would recommend products that lather just by looking at it (sorry Mikes, Stirling, MW), are available in various scents (Sorry Arko, Tabac), and have a minimal chance of irritating the skin (Sorry Cella, MB). I openly admit that my two selections are not the *best* performing products but they are infinitely times better than canned goo, have high availability, and are fairly cheap. Hence, making them perfect "gateway" software:

- Proraso - I recommend Green
- RazoRock - Practically any are great but stay away from the almond/cherry stuff to minimize the chance of an allergic skin reaction

I always recommend Mike's and Stirling soaps to someone new starting out.

Stirling - is some of the slickest soap I've tried which offers increased protection for someone that might not have the best technique. There are many scents to choose from, it ships quick, excellent customer service, inexpensive and just a great performing soap.

Mike's - another great soaps that offers excellent performance at a very reasonable price. There are many great scents to choose from and it's just another great performing soap that can be had at a low cost.

The thing that both of these have in common is that both are great performing inexpensive soaps from vendors that offer very reasonably priced samples. I encourage newbies to try samples to find what they really like before committing to full tubs of anything.

Another one that's good to try for someone new is the green tube of C.O Bigelow cream because it's decent and locally obtainable for about five bucks from any Bath and Body Works store without having to pay shipping.

RazoRock soaps aren't a bad choice either though the names can be confusing and the scents hard to figure out for someone new.

Arko is a inexpensive nice throw in as well.

Last edited:
Inexpensive in the "cost per shave" sense? Pre De Provence would be pretty tough to beat. It's not even very expensive to purchase, and it lathers easily while providing great shave qualities. I've never measured, but the cost per shave has to be ridiculously low because the stuff looks like it'll last forever and you get so much for the price.

Inexpensive to purchase? Locally, VDH Deluxe. You can find it for a few bucks at your local grocery or drug store and it does a damn fine job. It's not gonna wow you with some exotic scent, but what do you expect for a few bucks. Online, Arko. Yeah it's polarizing with the scent, but there's no denying it gets the job done. A newb could lather either one of these by accident and get themselves a great shave.

-Kesto

I always recommend Mike's and Stirling soaps to someone new starting out.

Stirling - is some of the slickest soap I've tried which offers increased protection for someone that might not have the best technique. There are many scents to choose from, it ships quick, excellent customer service, inexpensive and just a great performing soap.

Mike's - another great soaps that offers excellent performance at a very reasonable price. There are many great scents to choose from and it's just another great performing soap that can be had at a low cost.

The thing that both of these have in common is that both are great performing inexpensive soaps from vendors that offer very reasonably priced samples. I encourage newbies to try samples to find what they really like before committing to full tubs of anything.

Another one that's good to try for someone new is the green tube of C.O Bigelow cream because it's decent and locally obtainable for about five bucks from any Bath and Body Works store without having to pay shipping.

RazoRock soaps aren't a bad choice either though the names can be confusing and the scents hard to figure out for someone new.

Arko is a inexpensive nice throw in as well.

I like the sampling approach too, nice of you to include that in your review too.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430221961.976741.jpg
My first and an excellent choice for beginners. It will always have a place in my rotation.

Last edited:
Razorock soaps - Upper level performance and great scents.

Van Der Hagen Luxury - Can be found locally and is a great performer for the money.

Cella for tallow soap and Cade for veg. Mike's is also great tallow soap, but you have to wait for your favorite scent(barbershop in my case) to get in stock

Arko - Produces great lather very easily even in hard water, dirt cheap (especially if bought in quantity online), available in stick or bowl. Some have an issue with the scent.

Van Der Hagen - No, it isn't great, but it produces an okay lather and can usually be found at the local drugstore or Walmart for a couple of bucks.

--Bob

+1, both great values. I am retired Navy and can get VDH Deluxe for $1.44 a puck. Usually less than $2 at Wally World. Arko can be had thru Amazon for $13 and change for 12 sticks! That would last around 3 years but, then where's the fun in trying different stuff?

I think every new wet shaver should try Cella, Col Conk, Arko, and Razorock. They are all inexpensive and quaility soaps. Sorry its more than two. Col Conk lime is my daily driver. I just ran out of Razorock and Cella and may buy them again.

1) Arko, 2) Cella 1kg brick, 3) VDH puck

All 3 are cheap (when priced by the ounce for 1 & 2), provide great cushioning, thick lather that is slick as ice leaving your face feeling nice & moisturized.

To each his/her own but I can't understand how an $8-$12 tub of 150g of soap is inexpensive. :001_huh:

1) Arko, 2) Cella 1kg brick, 3) VDH puck

All 3 are cheap (when priced by the ounce for 1 & 2), provide great cushioning, thick lather that is slick as ice leaving your face feeling nice & moisturized.

To each his/her own but I can't understand how an $8-$12 tub of 150g of soap is inexpensive. :001_huh:
It depends on the budget of individuals. ...

Top Bottom