What's new

The Legends

Maurice Roucel- Musc Ravageur, Rochas Man and New Haarlem. DAYUM!

Jacque Polge- Egoiste, Antaeus, Tiffany for Men, Allure Homme, Ungaro III, Platinum Egoiste, Pour Monseiur and a bunch of other Chanel stuff. Could have stopped at Egoiste and he'd be a legend.

Annick Menardo- Boucheron Jaipur pour homme, Body Kouros, Lolita Lempicka Au Masculain, Xeryus Rouge, Bvlgari Black

Francis Kurkdjian- JPG Le Male, APOM/Lumiere Noire/Absolue Pour Le Soir/etc.

Pierre Bourdon- Cool Water, Kouros, Live Jazz, Mark Birley for Men

Bertrand Douchefor- Jubilation XXV, Penhaligon's Sartorial, Timbuktu

Jean Claude Elena

Terre d'Hermes
Cartier Declaration
Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta
Bois d'Iris
Un Jardin en Mediterranee

A pair who are relatively new but have the potential to become legends are Patricia de Nicolai and Pierre Montale.

That's not a debate...that's just a straight-up fact, Jason.

But to add something relevant to the thread, I'll nominate Sophia Grojsman.

She won't be familiar to many blokes, as she strictly created womens' frags, but at least one of the women in your life will have some of her work.

White Diamonds, Jaipur (f), Eternity (f), Vanderbilt, Lalique, 360 (f) and YSL Paris.

If that woman ever made a men's frag, you can bet it would be a powerhouse.

list her works that make her eligible for legend status

I meant to include Claude Elena. TdH was revolutionary IMO.

Another name is Christopher Sheldrake for making all those Lutens scents including Chergui and MKK

I guess Bois de Iles is considered the parent of Egoiste, so yes Beaux gets in. I didn't include folks who are known mainly for womens frags (coco, no 5) since I am not familiar with them as much and would be excluding. Is Chanel Cuir de Russie good? He made that too.

I was shocked at home many good scents Annick Mendardo had. Looks like she had a run during those years that stands the test of time. Very impressive collection that's listed above.

Cuir de Russie isn't as good as I anticipated. Admittedly I was expecting a leather powerhouse, and CdR isn't that. It has fruity and floral notes in there that admittedly take the edge of the animalic notes, but they all work well together.
Despite my underwhelmed response, I will say that it's a very well-crafted scent. I tried it right before Sycomore, which completely overshadowed CdR.
Overall CdR's a little too feminine for me, although a man could definitely wear it. Hell, Sycomore is supposedly feminine, but I find it quite masculine.

Last edited:
No Olivia Giacobetti? She rocks.

She is the queen of fig. Creator of one of my fave warm weather scents- Diptique Philosykos.
She also made Premier Figuer by L'Artisan-but I haven't smelled this one. Also Pens Elixir and Lubin Idole.

Where does Pierre Guillaume fit in this?He's the head nose behind the PG frags. Maybe it's too soon to add him to the list

I guess Bois de Iles is considered the parent of Egoiste, so yes Beaux gets in. I didn't include folks who are known mainly for womens frags (coco, no 5) since I am not familiar with them as much and would be excluding. Is Chanel Cuir de Russie good? He made that too.
I see. Just men's frags then. Nonetheless, Chanel no 5 is the worlds most recognizable scent and worth a mention on any legends list. Nice to see you like Egoiste a lot. It's become one of my favourites too

I really respect what Frederick Malle does for his fragrances. On the bottle he puts the perfumers name on there. On the box he puts a picture of the perfumer there. Finally someone who gives credit to the geniuses behind the scents.

I love this thread! Cannot disagree with anyone named so far. But no Jean Laporte of MPG? <g>

I think John Stephen for C&S (and Cotwold, although I have never tried Cotwold) seems to get no credit although he did at least four stellar scents.

Top Bottom