The King of Cool

Who is cooler?

• McQueen

• Grant

• Art is Kool

• This poll is lame

• Other(specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.
McQueen. Did many of his own stunts including jumping that bike over the barbed wire in The Great Escape. And drove that Mustang in one of the most famous car chase scenes to date. Amazing guy.

proxy.php

Actually it was the great stunt rider Bud Ekins that jumped the wire in The Great Escape.

Last edited:
No one mentioned Miles yet? Can't really argue with any of the selections preceding, especially Bogie and William Powell, but when I think of cool, I think of Miles.

Well here he is. THE coolest cats to ever blow a horn.

FTFY. In complete agreement.

$miles-davis.jpg

Look Tony, he's silencing you.

The King of Cool...name was coined originally for Steve McQueen.

Cary Grant....was Cary Grant...the man other guys wished they were.

Both are equal in my humble...but very knowledgeable opinion.

Well, pretty obvious B&B boys know what cool is. Pretty cool too Tony brings this up as it brings the much talked about but never defined term into the light. McQueen typifies the masculine contrast of positive and negative that women often find attractive. Perhaps they want to be safe, but not too secure. Perhaps be held gently, but wouldn't mind something rough. Knowing they can count on the man but yet, he's unpredictable. That's cool.

Grant. He's suave, debonnaire, polished. Always handsome. That's something other than cool.

Eh, what do I know. I'm none of the above.

After reading lesmore & NotNick 's post I'm inclined to change my vote from Grant to McQueen - if for definition only. I googled the term "king of cool", can't deny it's McQueen. Although I'm a huge fan of grant (McQueen never made me laugh!) .

The one thought that creeps to the fore front in the list which has emerged is the term "rat pack". Bogart, Sinatra, Grant, all members in high standing. And a few names not mentioned yet: Errol Flynn, & Dean Martin, to name a few. Pick your genre, or definition of cool, those guys all had it!

Burt Reynolds is quoted as saying "Paul Newman is the personification of cool..."

Since I agree.... I'll add Paul Newman to the mix......

Top Bottom