What's new

The Kaweco Thread

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Hello! Have not seen these before, the yellow Sunset and Sunrise Kaweco Sport.

proxy.php

Regarding the Student ...

- it doesn't leak! Not on my fingers. Not in the cap. The flow is absolutely perfect. That's a big deal to me.

The Student is one of my favorite pens and has been my daily choice for the last two years or so. But starting about a month ago the pen seems to have lost the ability to hold onto the ink cartridge. It disengages and the ink then leaks out where the end screws into the body. Uncap it and your fingers get inked. Entirely off-putting!

I'm have been using standard Waterman cartridges. After replacing a cartridge I get 2 - 6 days use before the cartridge becomes unseated.

Any suggestions?

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Regarding the Student ...

The Student is one of my favorite pens and has been my daily choice for the last two years or so. But starting about a month ago the pen seems to have lost the ability to hold onto the ink cartridge. It disengages and the ink then leaks out where the end screws into the body. Uncap it and your fingers get inked. Entirely off-putting!

I'm have been using standard Waterman cartridges. After replacing a cartridge I get 2 - 6 days use before the cartridge becomes unseated.

Any suggestions?
Oh no! That sucks. The short answer is no, I’ve never heard of that happening. But it’s quite possible you’ve had your Student longer than me. I have a few thoughts, in no particular order. You could contact the vendor where you bought it and see if they’ll replace the pen, especially if it’s still under warranty. You could buy a new nib unit, which are only like $11 or so from Jetpens. You could try a different brand cartridge. Even though international cartridges are theoretically all the same, there might be differing manufacturing tolerances at play. Maybe a Kaweco cartridge would work better; sometimes pens play nicer with proprietary stuff. Good luck getting the issue fixed.

I thought the Waterman cartridges were not the same as international cartridges... If the Kaweco states International cartridges, that may be the issue.

I believe they are international standard...
15580368842081098915837646805788.jpg

I've disassembled everything, inspected the EF nib under 40x loupe, and compared it to the original F nib. They both look clean and undamaged.

Icm giving the EF one more try with the cartridge, then I'll try a converter, then I'll try the original F nib with the cartridges, and finally the F nib with the converter. I do hope one of the combinations works. If not, then maybe I just need a new EF nib...

Thanks to all for your suggestions...

Ahhhh, the converter is proprietary, but the cartridges are international. Got it. (Checked the Goulet Pens compatibility guide.)

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I thought the Waterman cartridges were not the same as international cartridges... If the Kaweco states International cartridges, that may be the issue.

True. Most Waterman carts are much longer than the standard Internationals and although the nipple area looks the same, if it's not fitting the barrel correctly in a non-Waterman pen it may become distorted. Check the available space carefully when using the long ones, you may be getting interference.

tankerjohn

True. Most Waterman carts are much longer than the standard Internationals and although the nipple area looks the same, if it's not fitting the barrel correctly in a non-Waterman pen it may become distorted. Check the available space carefully when using the long ones, you may be getting interference.
That might be the issue. The first converter I tried kept popping off because it was too long for the pen body. And that was a standard Schmidt converter. A shorter one worked fine.

Quiet fancey the fox colour, but I'm still smitten with my burgundy and gold medium sport.
I saw the fox and had to have it. Bigger stubs made it easy choice and I can write a bigger prep list I can see across the room without needing to use a marker.

The line variation is nice in the 1.5. Gave one to a co-worker to give her a nudge to write more. She loves the choice of colors for ink. And she got a frosted in blush pitaya. Already linked her lessons for using the wife nib too.

The OS Nitrogen ink is a show starter in this combo... But once it goes it goes well.

tankerjohn

The failed experiment...

I mentioned in my review of the Student that my main nit to pick is the tiny nib, which really shouldn't bother me, but still kinda does. I was excited to learned that Bock, which supplies nibs to Kaweco, actually makes three different #5 nibs all on the same nib unit - the 060 (stock on most Kaweco pens), 180, and 076. The 180 is longer than the 060 and the 076 is the same length as the 180, but a little wider. I read on a forum that the 076 fits the Dia2 and it looked like it should fit the Student. So I went ahead and ordered one from the UK for about $15 shipped. It arrived today. The nib unit screwed right in, as expected. And it did look fabulous on the Student body. It is much better proportioned to the size of the pen. So far so good...until I tried to screw the cap on. It stopped about half a twist from fully seated. Doh!!! Looks like it needs about a mm more clearance. Darn you Kaweco! One more mm! I could probably drill out the inner cap to make it fit, but then the cap wouldn't seal the nib. So that's no good. I thought about ways I could Drimmel off a mm from the section or bottom of the nib, but none of that will really work, at least without jacking up the pen. I think I'm just SOL. Oh well. So, just in case anyone is wondering, the 076 does NOT fit the Student.

I feel a bit of a cheat. I like the design of the Kaweco Sport, I have bought 3 of them on seperate occaisions and lived to regret them all, the ink flow was really poor, they worked for a couple of lines and then dried up to nothing. I tried to improve the flow but, if I remember correctly, I had difficulty getting the nib out.

So today I ordered a chinese copy, tiny amount of money.

s-l1600.jpg

Top Bottom