What's new

The Feather blades blind test

I wimped out and blade banked the blades. It was a real world test so they wouldn't have made it past this stage for me so no point in tap dancing around trying to get them to keep working.

Shave #4.5 Blade 2 & 3.

As both blades were at the same stage, I decided to do a back-to-back comparison today by shaving half my face with blade 2 and the other half with blade 3. I did all three passes in this manner and my conclusion is Blade 2 is by far the crisper of the two and the shave was a lot better (which is contrary to my impression so far shaving with them a day apart).

The blade 3 tugged a lot more, left lots of straggly whiskers and left my face sore. As such, I'm now done with blade 3 and it's in the bank.

I'll continue with blade 2 to see how many more shaves I can get from it but it is already my overall winner for sharpness and longevity.

Shave #2 - Blade 5 (2 day growth, as had to keep it similar to previous blade).

Well this seems to be a mirror of Blade 4 shave 1, a little disappointed by its action today.

1st WTG, seemed to go ok, usual glide and feedback (in fact the feedback from the blade/razor was quite good), No tugging - however 1st pass not great reduction, and felt like in some areas 'little' in the way of growth removal had been done (chin to neck area both left & right and under chin) and quite a bit felt left on rinse.
2nd ATG, now we are getting somwehere, good audible feedback (as well as feedback through the razor) and better removal than pass 1 -however aggressive ATG pass, whilst not tugging, not cutting effectively
3rd XTG, again, audible feedback (meaning there was stuff still to cut though, which at pass 3 - I wouldn't expect much), smooth glide across cheek (which later you see seemed to glide with little cutting!) as well as moustache area and upper chin. Did a touch up chin cleft WTG.

I keep finding sections unacceptable (left cheek for example!!) and neck area a few pimples like I had been tugged however I felt no tugs throughout the shaving experience !!!???!!!. 1* mole sliced and small weeper chin area to neck. Buffing ok, but still little in the way of removal on and ATG pass to left cheek. Alum and 10 or so second sting, no redness, but a few area of hairs on the skin irritation.

This blade didn't feel too good on the skin today and gave feedback, but from a cutter - not the best for 2nd shave. For me - shave is a SAS for me, which is disappointing due to the 1st shave with this blade, which whilst aggressive produced a good cut!.

Last edited:
I wimped out and blade banked the blades. It was a real world test so they wouldn't have made it past this stage for me so no point in tap dancing around trying to get them to keep working.

Could you post the final number of shaves on each blade? I took a look at the last couple of pages but quickly got confused.

Sure thing

blade 6 - 3 shaves total. This blade would not have made it past one if it hadn't been for the test. The first two shaves were aweful, albeit in a pretty aggressive razor. The third shave was less "intense", however the pulling from edge degradation got to the point that the next shave would have been painful.

Blade 7 - 3 total shave, this one may have been just good enough for a forth, however once again to keep the test "real world" I would not have pushed it. Three shaves on any current production blade is its money's worth in my opinion. This was a much smoother blade than its mate right out of the gate and the edge degradation was apparent on the third shave and may actually have been a little worse than its mate, but without having shaved with both blades simultaneously it's hard to tell.

Is that a bit more clear?

Shave 3 - Blade 5 (1 day growth).

After shave 2's disappointment, I had to commit treason and get myself in a good state using ... the electric (which for the face is the first time in years!! (I do do under the nose though :p )). But rest of day was fine and todays growth pattern was consistent across face and I was happy to have shave 3.

Well - This is basically a mirror of Blade 4 - shave 3, pretty much word for word.
ATG - pass actually cut of a fair but of stubble, but stragglers left and usual not so great cut to jawline.
Other passes went ok too. no weepers, Alum bar and basically no sting to most of face and 2 seconds to others, WH ok too.

So same as blade 4 shave 3, the two blades seems to be performing the same. I wonder about shave 1 with this blade and wonder if something like the coating was better for shave 1, but currently the blades are performing the same. This is shave 3 and there are more shaves left in this blade.

Today produced a CCS (again consistent with Blade 4).

Shave # 5.5, Blade 2.

Changed to the Kronos R2 for this shave. Still a good shave (3 passes with a few touch-ups) but razor burn is now showing in certain areas of the neck. I expect to get one more decent shave from blade 2 and them I'm done.

Shave 6.5, Blade 2.

Put the 'Old Girl' in my Shavecraft 101 this morning and got a fantastic shave. Hardly any irritation, 3 passes with DFS results.

I'll keep going with this one...

Shave 4 - Blade 5

Well pretty much the same shave as Blade 4 - Shave 3. Only exceptions are I can now feel pulling ATG to moustache area. I'm able to work around it.
Today, I went in with a little more pressure, so shave felt ok whilst shaving, ok with Alum, just felt a little aggressive after the shave. Feel a little tight and dry (likely from the WH). I'm my usual colour, no beetroot redness or anything like that - just feels tight and dry.

This is about the closest I've got to a DFS, so excluding a few stragglers (which I may sort out later), borderline DFS. There are still shaves left in the blade.

Last edited:
As planned I used a mix of KMF lavender and RSC for the last two shaves. Yesterday I overshaved part of my throat, but that was my fault. Today went better. The blade is showing signs of use, but I am optimistic that it will last for 7 shaves. Tomorrow I will resume my Arko stick.

Watching this thread with great interest. Was almost going to pull the trigger on a 50 or so purchase. I think I will wait until the results are in. Interesting that Amazon's 'Mulberrylife' is getting questions regarding the authenticity. Question is, if there are knock-offs out there, how do we know if the US vendors are getting the genuine product?

Shave #8, Blade 2.

Tried the blade in the ATT R2 and got another 3 pass DFS from it with no irritation. I'm sure this blade is improving!

Blade #8, Shave #1

Comparing the printing on the wrappers of both blade #8 and blade #9, if either are counterfeit, it appears they've done a good job!

It's been a while since I've used a Feather, but there seemed to be a LOT of wax on blade #8 - far more than I remember.

Setup: DE89L, TOBS Grapefruit, Aramis

1st pass, WTG: uneventful. I didn't notice the sharpness, which I've definitely noticed from Feathers before. This might be because my technique has improved since then. Felt very smooth. However, there was a fair bit of remaining stubble.

2nd pass, XTG: similarly uneventful. It felt very smooth again, and got me very close. I probably should have stopped here, but...

3rd pass, XTG, opposite direction: I considered ATG for this pass, but didn't want to risk it. This pass was probably unnecessary, and I imagine it removed as much skin as it did whiskers! This left me very close.

4th pass, touch-ups: I used the remaining lather to tidy up under the jawline.

Result: DFS. I had a couple of very minor weepers on my neck, but that's a regular occurrence with sharp blades. I finished up with some Aramis. The closeness didn't seem to last long unfortunately - by the time I got to work a few hours later I could already feel the beginnings of a shadow. I also had some minor irritation.

The blade was more than acceptable, although I'll probably do just 2 passes tomorrow to try to minimise irritation.

I also have some genuine Feathers left over from a sample pack, which I'll try after blade #9 for comparison!

I think I'll use Proraso pre-shave tomorrow and stick with "Proraso everything" for the remainder of the experiment.

Shave 5 - Blade 5

After yesterdays relatively successful, I thought I would try the same with a little additional pressure (baring the obvious of knowing when a slice of my face would be at stake).

WTG, less hair being cut now, blade felt ok against skin but now a loss of cutting action from the blade. I small blood dot from upper chin that stopped by lather 3.
ATG, The blade appeared to be ok here to cheek passes and across the neck. I used the kind of pressure where I could feel the blade, but without harsh action, aggressive but keeping it real. Seemed ok, excluding ATG to moustache, this was harder to do and definite pulling. Did Right side without too many issues, but left side pulled too much and a small weeper.
XTG, seemed ok close aggressive action, no cuts and appeared a smooth shave. No further weepers and all the others had stopped.

Alum confirmed how close it was ... good 12 second sting ... No WH today, but a good slap of Lanolin / almond cream (was later in the day) and shave felt ... a borderline DFS (bue to some inconsistent action to usual place under chin (easy to buff out, but didn't due to aggression of shave)). However a DFS at the cost of an aggressive shave which I normally would not do and won't be doing again!!

Towards bed, wash and all ok, but towelling dry showed how close I had been to my neck, so I would say overshaved. Blade noted for pulling ATG moustache (exactly as blade 4 did on shave 5), so Shave 6 "may" be my last shave with this blade.

Last edited:
Blade #8, Shave #2

Setup: DE89L, Proraso Green Pre-Shave Cream, Proraso Shaving Cream, Nivea Balm

1st pass, WTG: the same as yesterday, uneventful. I was left fairly close from yesterday, so there was hardly any stubble remaining after this pass.

2nd pass, XTG: again, no problems here. This took off everything that was left. It felt a lot smoother than yesterday.

3rd pass, touch-ups: I used the remaining lather to tidy up under the jawline and around the chin area.

Result: DFS. No weepers, no irritation. I finished up with some Nivea balm today, as I was left a bit overshaved yesterday!

The blade is still working very well. Even if this IS a counterfeit blade, I'd still be more than happy to use it if it were priced appropriately.

buzzy, it seems to me that it's going to be difficult to collate everyone's thoughts before you "unveil" the results! Perhaps once everyone has finished their testing, you can tell people which blade was from which batch, and set up a poll for everyone to pick which batch they thought was the best? Just an idea!

Blade #10 is done after 7 shaves. The last shave felt rougher than shave #6, even though the results were still good. All in all it met my expectations from a Feather blade. If I had to I could probably stretch it out, but this way blade #11 will enter my current rotation in exactly the same place #10 did.

I captured images of the used edge. This should be more interesting when we can compare to #11, but that will have to wait. For reference, here is the unused edge again:

After seven shaves the rough texture, which was probably the PTFE coating, is no longer visible. This is the jeans-stropped side: the unstropped side shows a lot of soap residue. There are some irregularities along the edge, which may be edge damage or may be soap residue. The figure-ground effect makes it difficult to be sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shave 9!!!! How many shaves do you average on a blade? How long have you been wet shaving? You're making me question my technique!

Shave 6 - Blade 5

Today was decided to not go with pressure, but let the blade work it's cut. Noted ATG pull yesterday on moustache area.

WTG, very much less cutting action today, after rinse could feel growth, chin / neck
ATG, audible feedback from the blade, but today not cutting feedback - but dragging feedback. Tried to keep it real in moustache ATG, but pulls and it was touch and go whether this pass would occur on the moustache area. It was at this point I also started to feel discomfort.
XTG, the blade was dragging even on this pass and you could feel the drag and lack of cutting. Discomfort to cheeks (which I never get otherwise). Should have not done this pass.

Alum confirmed pulling / discomfort 10 or second, no weepers at all, no blood - just a pulling blade.WH ok, but felt soreness after as well as seeing a pulled layer of (dead) skin cells to confirm pulling of the blade (dried out by the WH). I went to the shop to buy more WH (as detailed in a previous post) so I have a years supply - but this exercise has made me realise why I didn't use it that often as it tends to dry my skin.

Today a SAS (which was all about the blade would provide today). Blade would not have made a 7th, so Blade banked. Sore face afterwards (so slapping on the Lanolin / Almond later).

SO end result is;
Blade 4 - 6 shaves - 5 CCS, 1 SAS (shave 3 and shave 5 close to DFS's)
Blade 5 - 6 shaves - 1 DFS, 2 borderline DFS's, 1 CCS, 2 SAS (so closer to 1 DFS, 3 CCS, 2 SAS in the real world)

So both blades 6 shaves - Things noted: packaging for blade 4 seemed inferior - the lettering was smudgy rather than blade 5 which had clear defined lettering. Blade 4 had larger wax dots on, but blade 5 had smaller dots - however a larger wax melted area (over the blade when packaged). Blade 4 was more consistent than blade 5 which was a more aggressive blade.

For me - they acted very much the same - Blade 5 dropped off quickly, where as blade 4 could have made a 7th pass (and likely an 8th). I would put blade 5's 1st DFS likely due to coating, but besides that the blades were the same producing pretty much the same shaves. If anything - I could even say both blades were from the same pack and my blade 5 was ... actually ... the same blade as blade 4 (so swapped - hence the waxing when the package was hairdryered closed), if not then I would say these blades are pretty much the same. Whether one pack is a "seconds" is unknown (Buzzy - have you contacted the manufacturer to ask what happens to 2nds), but are they both "Feathers" .. likely yes.

So ends my shaves with these. I would also like to pass on thanks to the OP for the challenge. Also thanks to Driftwood too. I will of course keep with the thread as interested to know the results.

Last edited:
Shave 9!!!! How many shaves do you average on a blade? How long have you been wet shaving? You're making me question my technique!

I usually use Astras and go no further than 4 or 5 shaves with those. I have taken Feathers to 12 before now but usually quit around 6 or 7.

Been wet shaving with multi blade cartidges since they came out and DE shaving for a couple of years now.

I wouldn't say my technique is anything special but I do stick rigidly to good shave prep. I always remove my blades from the razor after each shave, then dry and replace them in the wax wrappers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom