What's new

The DIY shoe restoration ( big pics)

Hello fellow B&Ber’s I’m Dave. I’m new to wet shaving so can’t contribute much to the discussion in that regard, however I know a thing or two about shoe care and I see there are a few Saphir fans here and being inspired by this thread and this one I thought I’d throw together a quick DIY restoration and care tutorial to contribute to the haberdashery.

These are my two year old pair of Cole Haan Air Dempsey. It was time for them to get a good cleaning plus I wanted to make them a darker brown. I ordered all the stuff to do that and in the meantime the rains came and they got soaked, so after letting them dry thoroughly this is what they looked like.

$beforetop.jpg
$beforeside2.jpg

And here is what we’ll be using to make them look good again:
$saphir.jpg
Now I’m not going to bore you with pictures of me scrubbing my shoes but I’ll do my best to describe the process and products used to get the end result. All the products I use are made by Saphir with the exception of the brushes. Saphir has two lines of products, basic and MDO. I use the basic stuff as the MDO is considerably more expensive and I can’t imagine it works that much better.

Step one is Renomat, this is your cleaner/wax stripper, before use I suggest a good brushing with your shoe shine brush to remove any lose surface crude. Shake well and pour 2oz or so into a old bowl you don’t use anymore. This stuff produces a good bit of fumes so use it in a well ventilated area unless of course that’s how you party.

I use the brush on the far right to apply and scrub with, divide the shoe into fifths or quarters, put it on pretty liberally and scrub in a circular motion. It will be mildly sudsy when you begin, once the suds subside and it begins to thicken wipe it off, you don’t want to allow this to dry on your leather. Repeat as needed until you’re not wiping off dirt or polish. The box tells you to allow it to dry 15 minutes, on lighter colored leather I let them dry over night then spot treat any stains that I didn’t see while the shoes were still damp.

After cleaning they look like this:
$sidebyside.jpg

Step two is Decapant, this is dye stripper/leather prep. More or less you wipe the shoes down very thoroughly and it will remove dye and any oils on the leather getting them ready to take the new dye. Once again I allowed this a full day to dry rather than the recommended hour. Use in a well ventilated area.

Step 3 is dye, I wanted to go with a darker brown so I chose dark brown No.5. (more on color selection at the end). A dauber and gloves are included with the dye. Using the dauber I applied two coats of dye to the shoes, let them dry overnight, then touched up any light spots the next day.

Step 4 is the application of Renovateur, it’s a mild cleaner/moisturizer and will provide a pretty killer shine all on it’s own. A cloth is included in the box to apply it, from my experiences with it I would strongly discourage using the cloth. Due to the consistency of the Renovateur it deposited copious amounts of lint on my shoes the first time I used it. I use the straight dauber brush in the above picture to work it into the leather. A little of this stuff goes a long way so don’t put it on too thick or you’ll have a mess. Also you will raise a good bit of excess dye during the application so I wear gloves for this. After letting the Renovateur dry about 15-20 mins give your shoes a good brushing with your shine brush.

Step 5 is laying on some Cream polish. In reading a shoe blog by a gentleman that makes and repairs boots and shoes he recommends using a brush to put this stuff on, I found that applying with a brush you end up with far to much on the leather. Slight problem with that is while both the cream and wax are No.5 brown they are two different shades.

$pvsc.jpg

Now the dye matches the paste wax exactly, so I had very dark brown shoes with lighter brown streaks running though them and of course it got into the stitching as well. That’s a no go, so I buffed and buffed and buffed until I worked the cream off the shoes. In hind sight I would have just skipped this and applied a couple more coats of Renovateur.

Addendum: After I wrote this I was doing some reading on the cream wax and it was suggested that you apply it as the 4th step rather than the 5th so when applying the Renovateur it will remove any excess cream not absorbed by the leather. I still feel I would skip the cream due to the inconsistent color between the cream and wax.

Step 6 is application of the paste wax, I use strips of an old T shirt to put it on. Buff it on, let it dry, brush it off, do this twice then give it a good buffing with a flannel cloth.

Continued below.

And finally we have this:
$shoesafter%u00252520.jpg
$shoesafter2.jpg

I want to throw in a bit on color selection, the color chart and what you’ll actually get will differ in some instances:
$bvsdb.jpg

As you can see the #5 matches up good while the #37 is considerably lighter than the color chart indicates.
If you’re trying to match a pair of shoes up buy a couple of different shades and you should get close, also you can from what I have read mix the creams to match a shade.

If I can answer any questions please let me know.

P.S. When Jos Bank has the buy 1 get 58,365 for free sale order a few sets of shoe trees they’re a good deal and will make a big difference in the long term condition of your shoes.

Thanks for the post. I love reading posts like these and those are gorgeous results. I had a pair of those before I discovered Allen Edmonds (and that they made dress shoes in my size!)

Thanks for all the kind words gents.

Thanks for the post. I love reading posts like these and those are gorgeous results. I had a pair of those before I discovered Allen Edmonds (and that they made dress shoes in my size!)

What size do you wear, I'm a fairly wide 15 and have been wondering how AE fits in their bigger sizes?

$image.jpg

I am inspired by this thread. I have these Allen Edmonds Sanfords in a really crappy color. I now feel confident to attempt a dye color change on these. I am thinking about either a burgandy or black.

Thanks for posting this how to for us Neophytes:biggrin1:.

i will post progress on this thread when I do the color change. First thing I have to do is obtain the supplies.
Only place I found that had all of the Saphir ingredients was riderbootshop. Does anyone have any other sources?

Thanks again for the details.
Gary

Last edited:
Riders is who I use myself, and I buy brushes from shoeandfootcare.com

I look forward to your posts Gary, those shoes are awesome and if I can be of any assistance don't hesitate to pm me!

View attachment 313075

I am inspired by this thread. I have these Allen Edmonds Sanfords in a really crappy color. I now feel confident to attempt a dye color change on these. I am thinking about either a burgandy or black.

Thanks for posting this how to for us Neophytes:biggrin1:.

i will post progress on this thread when I do the color change. First thing I have to do is obtain the supplies.
Only place I found that had all of the Saphir ingredients was riderbootshop. Does anyone have any other sources?

Thanks again for the details.
Gary

I actually like the color of those...YMMV

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Don't forget to post some pics after you wear them. I am curious to see how the dye holds up on the creases after several wears. Thanks, and again, great job.

Don't forget to post some pics after you wear them. I am curious to see how the dye holds up on the creases after several wears. Thanks, and again, great job.

I happen to have them on today, not the best picture but this is after about 7 wears with no additional polish just a brushing before wearing. The creases are slightly lighter now but nothing terrible. The Saphir dye is extremely thin and penetrates very well.

$20130226_124034.jpg

Top Bottom