What's new

The Confessional: the hall of blown dinners, ruined meals, and other disasters

Osso Buco (but with beef shanks) became oh so yucko. Instead of wine i used good balsamic vinegar. Should have been fine but the taste was nasty, the smell was nasty and it was tough as shoe leather. I have not successfully braised a single thing in my life. We went out for burgers.

Osso Buco (but with beef shanks) became oh so yucko. Instead of wine i used good balsamic vinegar. Should have been fine but the taste was nasty, the smell was nasty and it was tough as shoe leather. I have not successfully braised a single thing in my life. We went out for burgers.
Sounds like a fail worthy of being in this list.

IMG_4727.JPG
General Tso's stir fry. Way way way too spicy. Dinner looks like Chex and red wine lol

I cannot recall a single truly awful meal. There have been a few so-so ones, however.

And yet, there was the time I made paella in my 12 inch AC skillet. I started it stove top, moved it to a 425 oven.

Yeah. When attempting to plate, I grabbed that handle with my bare hand. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch!

The paella was quite good.

My darling wife of 31 years is a wonderful cook. Early in our marriage she would constantly try new recipes, and experiment with old ones. One morning after working the night shift, I opened the fridge and found a crockpot sitting there. I dished up a bowl of it, sat down to catch the scores on Headline News, and started to eat. After a few bites, it dawned on me that perhaps this wasn't her best effort. I tried to finish it, but couldn't, so I dumped it out and went to bed. Later that day, I got up, went to the kitchen for a cup of coffee, whereupon my wife sweetly asked me what I thought of the dish she'd made. I fumbled around for the most diplomatic explanation of why I'd dumped it into the trash (we had no disposal in our first apartment), and came up with, "My stomach was upset, and I couldn't eat." While congratulating myself on my brilliant dodge of a deadly conversational trap, she opined that she thought it tasted really good. "You might like it too," she smiled, "now that I've cooked it." :tongue3:

I remember my dad trying to grill some nice steaks when I was 22. It was a bit windy, and he was trying to use charcoal. So, he loads up the coal with some lighter fluid and gets the fire going. He proceeds to throw these beautifu t-bones on the grill (without letting the coals turn white and burning off all of the fluid). Needless to say, not even the dogs would eat the lighter fluid flavored steaks. My dad has been banned from ever grilling over charcoal again. He still hasn't lived that down and that was 18 yrs ago. LOL

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My darling wife of 31 years is a wonderful cook. Early in our marriage she would constantly try new recipes, and experiment with old ones. One morning after working the night shift, I opened the fridge and found a crockpot sitting there. I dished up a bowl of it, sat down to catch the scores on Headline News, and started to eat. After a few bites, it dawned on me that perhaps this wasn't her best effort. I tried to finish it, but couldn't, so I dumped it out and went to bed. Later that day, I got up, went to the kitchen for a cup of coffee, whereupon my wife sweetly asked me what I thought of the dish she'd made. I fumbled around for the most diplomatic explanation of why I'd dumped it into the trash (we had no disposal in our first apartment), and came up with, "My stomach was upset, and I couldn't eat." While congratulating myself on my brilliant dodge of a deadly conversational trap, she opined that she thought it tasted really good. "You might like it too," she smiled, "now that I've cooked it." :tongue3:

One time when trying to get a sauce a little thicker I grabbed what I thought was arrow root.

After way too much and no thickening, I examined the jar....

oy vey..... cream of tartar.....

That was one ODD tasting sauce.

One time when trying to get a sauce a little thicker I grabbed what I thought was arrow root.

After way too much and no thickening, I examined the jar....

oy vey..... cream of tartar.....

That was one ODD tasting sauce.

This would be an example of why I started to pull out the stuff I'd need while cooking ahead of time and setting it on the counter. lol Too many times I found myself searching fast for something with stuff on the stove that should have had almost constant attention at that stage of the cooking.

Top Bottom