What's new

The Chicken Fried Steak thread

There are two dishes I look forward to on our trips from NJ to Ky to visit my wife's family. The first is chicken fried steak at any Bob Evans along I-70 or I-75 in Ohio on the way down. The second is my "heart attack" breakfast, also known as a Bob Evans Sunshine Skillet (an open-faced omelet filled with crumbled sausage and home fries, topped with country gravy and shredded cheddar cheese and served with two buttermilk biscuits). I've also had chicken fried steak at Cracker Barrel, but didn't like theirs.

Edit: On most menus I see it listed as Country Fried Steak. I assume it's the same thing.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Yeah, I'll give you a pretty good cauliflower pizza crust recipe.
Heck yeah- I love cauliflower
There are two dishes I look forward to on our trips from NJ to Ky to visit my wife's family. The first is chicken fried steak at any Bob Evans along I-70 or I-75 in Ohio on the way down. The second is my "heart attack" breakfast, also known as a Bob Evans Sunshine Skillet (an open-faced omelet filled with crumbled sausage and home fries, topped with country gravy and shredded cheddar cheese and served with two buttermilk biscuits). I've also had chicken fried steak at Cracker Barrel, but didn't like theirs.
Bob Evans is one of the Ohio restaurants I really miss. Cracker Barrel doesn't come close.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
$schnitzel.jpgmake mine schnitzel.......... part-nar:biggrin1:

Last edited:
Diet's are for quitters :tongue_sm

Speaking to the southern thing Owen, I was never heavier than when I lived in Florida. CFS, Country ham with red eye gravy, mac and cheese, butter beans, corn bread, collards in bacon fat, you get the idea LOL!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
That's sounds like it might be tasty. I'll try anything once. Please go ahead and send me the recipe.

This is actually real. The wife and I made it and it wasn't too bad. I'll scrounge up our recipe and post it tomorrow.

It involves steaming/cooking the cauliflower first then wringing out all the water. Then mixing it with junk I can't remember right now. Patting it out to pizza round size, baking then putting on your favorite toppings and rebaking.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I have had it while on the road at The Cracker Barrel. Not bad, but I consider it a Southern regional food and it is not that big up here.

The Cracker Barrel finally made it down here a few years ago. It's not bad, but the really good CFS is in our dives and diners. Making it yourself may be a winner. Getting the cream gravy just right may prove to be more difficult.

Chicken fried would be any cubed meat that is lightly breaded and fried.

Now if you want something really regional try some livermush. I didn't hear about it until I moved to Western NC. I'll eat almost anything, but it just sounds gross.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

Speaking to the southern thing Owen, I was never heavier than when I lived in Florida. CFS, Country ham with red eye gravy, mac and cheese, butter beans, corn bread, collards in bacon fat, you get the idea LOL!
Hmm, when I moved to Texas I was 185 and you couldn't pinch any fat in me. You at be on to something. Nah, age and beer have nothing to do with it :biggrin:
The Cracker Barrel finally made it down here a few years ago. It's not bad, but the really good CFS is in our dives and diners. Making it yourself may be a winner. Getting the cream gravy just right may prove to be more difficult.
I try to eschew obfuscation, I mean chain restaurants. Mom and pop places, or dives, are where the real food is at

Chicken fried would be any cubed meat that is lightly breaded and fried.

Now if you want something really regional try some livermush. I didn't hear about it until I moved to Western NC. I'll eat almost anything, but it just sounds gross.

That does sound kind of gross, although I thought the same thing about neck bone until I tried it :)

I find that the following things make all the difference in the world: 1) asking your butcher to run the steak through the cuber a second time; 2) holding your ground as the butcher explains how a second time through the cuber is not really necessary; 3) arguing gently and respectfully with the butcher as long as necessary to get your way, being careful not to offend him, and chalking up your insistence to your own fastidiousness (you need a good rapport with him for subsequent requests); 4) using home-made saltine cracker crumbs for breading and making (at least some of) them courser if need be to achieve your desired level of crispiness; 5) breading the steaks a second time if they are not turning out crispy enough with only one coating; 6) using bulk sausage from your butcher counter for the gravy; 7) adding chopped celery to the gravy.

I really haven't given up. I still eat meat and dairy, two food groups I love, just less of it. Watching my father nearly die from a hereditary heart condition, a collapsing artery called the widow maker caused in part by a poor diet, was a real I opener. He's only 53 years old.
Just like those who managed to quit smoking, giving up junk food and fast food has all ready saved me money. Plus I've given myself the best chance to live long enough to watch my daughter grow up and have children of her own. But to bring it to a lighter point and add some humour, this new eating lifestyle may help with my long-term goal to live to midnight on January 1st 2100. It's a long shot, I know, but 119 isn't that old. By the way, chicken fried steak and souther cooking of all kinds are my favorits.

I really haven't given up. I still eat meat and dairy, two food groups I love, just less of it. Watching my father nearly die from a hereditary heart condition, a collapsing artery called the widow maker caused in part by a poor diet, was a real I opener. He's only 53 years old.
Just like those who managed to quit smoking, giving up junk food and fast food has all ready saved me money. Plus I've given myself the best chance to live long enough to watch my daughter grow up and have children of her own. But to bring it to a lighter point and add some humour, this new eating lifestyle may help with my long-term goal to live to midnight on January 1st 2100. It's a long shot, I know, but 119 isn't that old. By the way, chicken fried steak and souther cooking of all kinds are my favorits.

I was just joking around, I try pretty hard to watch what I eat as well :thumbup:

Top Bottom