What's new

The Brotherhood of Bay Rum Runners

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
A list of Bay Rums without clove and cinnamon with real Carribean bay essence (Pimenta racemose), not the artificial stuff. Please

Based on your description, I think you would be pleased with any of the following Bay Rum producer's products:

Captain's Choice
Fine
Thor's Hammer
Grand Bay

To my nose, these are simply straight forward Pimento Racemosa Bay Rums without any twists or turns...no added cinnamon, no added citrus notes, no extra clove or nutmeg, etc.

I've added Captain's Choice and Barrister & Mann to the rotation. CC is glorious, and I'm not sure about B&M just yet.

From the bottle and just splashing a bit in my palms I'm getting a note that I can't place. Something I recognize smelling from Avon's Everest ... almost a celery smell.

We'll see what a proper splash of it does after a shave.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I've added Captain's Choice and Barrister & Mann to the rotation. CC is glorious, and I'm not sure about B&M just yet.

From the bottle and just splashing a bit in my palms I'm getting a note that I can't place. Something I recognize smelling from Avon's Everest ... almost a celery smell.

We'll see what a proper splash of it does after a shave.
Celery. Interesting. I wondered what I was getting from that, and I think you might be right! Thank you.

Say what you want about PAA — a lot of it might be deserved — but his Clásico Bay Rum might be the best ever. The Atomic Age is also pretty swell, but I find the blend to be a little too smooth, especially when compared to Clásico. I think a bay-rum fragrance ought to have some jagged edges. Also, I find his solid-cologne formulation to be a greasy mess that doesn't give you any more longevity than the liquid... which, as all bay rums, is shorter than you'd like. I like the EDT.

While I'm brain dumping, if a body wants an awesome single-note representation, the Master non-glycerine formulation is outstanding. It contains only bay rum, water, alcohol, and some colorants. It can be had dirt cheap, too, if you look around.

I’m currently using Derby Tonic, Thor’s Hammer & TH Lime AS, CC’s AS,
Ethos Bay Rum Soap, Splash and Lotion as well as Ethos Tortola Splash.

Like each one a lot!

It's a fine collection! Onward!

I've added to my Bay Rum bench. I underlined the new additions.

Soap:
PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum
Stirling Bay Rum
Ogallala Bay Rum
Captain's Choice
Murphy & McNeil Bád Mór *sample

Aftershave:
Bootlegger's Original Bay Rum
Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum
Pinaud VIBR
Master Bay Rum
Superior 70
Avon Bay Rum
Ogallala Double Strength Cologne
St. John's Bay Rum
Royall Bay Rhum 57 EDT
Royall Bay Rhum all purpose lotion
PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum
Captain’s Choice Bay Rum
Barrister & Mann Bay Rum
Stirling Bay Rum
Fine Bay Rum
PAA Atomic Pumpkin

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I've added to my Bay Rum bench. I underlined the new additions.

Soap:
PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum
Stirling Bay Rum
Ogallala Bay Rum
Captain's Choice
Murphy & McNeil Bád Mór *sample

Aftershave:
Bootlegger's Original Bay Rum
Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum
Pinaud VIBR
Master Bay Rum
Superior 70
Avon Bay Rum
Ogallala Double Strength Cologne
St. John's Bay Rum
Royall Bay Rhum 57 EDT
Royall Bay Rhum all purpose lotion
PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum
Captain’s Choice Bay Rum
Barrister & Mann Bay Rum
Stirling Bay Rum
Fine Bay Rum
PAA Atomic Pumpkin

Nice! What're you liking?

Nice! What're you liking?

I'd say my top 5 are:

Ogallala Double Strength (...for strength, scent, and longevity, this one's very hard to beat)
Stirling (This is my shiny new thing so my taste may change, but for now I'm loving this stuff!)
Captain's Choice (I love my Avon and I have enough of it to not be shy, but Captain's just has a little something more)
Royall (the original, not the new "57" formula)
Bootlegger's Original (excellent all around, and I can bathe in it without feeling wasteful)

Honorable mention to PAA, St. John's & of course Avon <3

it's hard to leave out any of them to be honest.

Say what you want about PAA — a lot of it might be deserved — but his Clásico Bay Rum might be the best ever. The Atomic Age is also pretty swell, but I find the blend to be a little too smooth, especially when compared to Clásico. I think a bay-rum fragrance ought to have some jagged edges. Also, I find his solid-cologne formulation to be a greasy mess that doesn't give you any more longevity than the liquid... which, as all bay rums, is shorter than you'd like. I like the EDT.

While I'm brain dumping, if a body wants an awesome single-note representation, the Master non-glycerine formulation is outstanding. It contains only bay rum, water, alcohol, and some colorants. It can be had dirt cheap, too, if you look around.
Bay Rum Runner Brothers,

Quick question: What is the scent difference between PAA Clásico Bay Rum and Atomic Age Bay Rum?

I have read the PAA product pages, watched the PAA Atomic Age video about the hydrosol and oak barrel aging, and read reviews on each, but other than JimmyJoeMeeker's posting above, have not come across a scent-to-scent comparison. Grateful if anyone who has used both could provide more insight into the scent difference.

Thank you.

It’s sort of in the description, and not to sound redundant but the Clasico is a more classic take, whereas Atomic Age is a bit ramped up and kinda doing its own thing.

There’s an almost root beer characteristic in the AABR to me, and the Clasico is spicier. Both last a good while and Classico has more burn also. If you’ve tried Avon or Captains Choice, they’re more along the lines of Clasico.

I’m interested to hear the opinions of others, but you can’t really go wrong with either one.

Bay Rum Runner Brothers,

Quick question: What is the scent difference between PAA Clásico Bay Rum and Atomic Age Bay Rum?

I have read the PAA product pages, watched the PAA Atomic Age video about the hydrosol and oak barrel aging, and read reviews on each, but other than JimmyJoeMeeker's posting above, have not come across a scent-to-scent comparison. Grateful if anyone who has used both could provide more insight into the scent difference.

Thank you.

They're 95 percent similar to each other, and the difference between them is subtle. I guess I'd add to what's recently been said that the Clásico smells a little more masculine to my perception. But again, this is a subtle thing, because the Atomic Age is a plenty masculine fragrance.

I agree with @Breen regarding the spiciness (think clove, though it's not actually in there) of Clásico and the root-beer (subtle but detectable) aspect of Atomic Age.

I finally bit the bullet and picked up some Pinaud VIBR. This is my first toe dip into the AS world. I really like it so far. I was looking at Stirling and B&M versions, but those haven't come back in stock yet. I do see Captain's Choice BR at Fendrihan, but I'll hold off on any further purchases for a bit.

I do also have a tub of Noble Otter Plunder. Their take on Bay Rum is a bit out there. It's true to the description though, light on bay heavy on smoke. It is a great shave soap despite the scent though.

It’s sort of in the description, and not to sound redundant but the Clasico is a more classic take, whereas Atomic Age is a bit ramped up and kinda doing its own thing.

There’s an almost root beer characteristic in the AABR to me, and the Clasico is spicier. Both last a good while and Classico has more burn also. If you’ve tried Avon or Captains Choice, they’re more along the lines of Clasico.

I’m interested to hear the opinions of others, but you can’t really go wrong with either one.
Breen and JimmyJoeMeeker -

Thank you for your comments. I received recently the PAA Clasico Star Jelly (Can't get alcohol aftershaves in Hawaii due to air shipping restrictions.). Good stuff and a nice Bay Rum scent.

Mahalo nui loa (Thank you very much).

808BRG

Breen and JimmyJoeMeeker -

Thank you for your comments. I received recently the PAA Clasico Star Jelly (Can't get alcohol aftershaves in Hawaii due to air shipping restrictions.). Good stuff and a nice Bay Rum scent.

Mahalo nui loa (Thank you very much).

808BRG

I'm glad it helped. How does the star jelly function as aftershave? I have the Mysterium Serum, and it works pretty well... though I don't know if it works well enough to justify the price tag.

I still like 'Superior 70' & 'Captain's Choice' as the best Bay Rum. Not too strong but just right.

Bay Rum.jpg

I'm glad it helped. How does the star jelly function as aftershave? I have the Mysterium Serum, and it works pretty well... though I don't know if it works well enough to justify the price tag.
The Star Jelly is a light aftershave balm. It absorbs rather quickly, so no heavy "painted-on" feeling after you apply it, but it still feels more like a very light lotion than a splash. The balm helped calm that day's slight post-too-aggressive-shave burn. The scent fades during the day but was still subtly present at the end of the day, which was nice. All in all, a pretty nice product. As we used to say down South, PAA "done good."

Top Bottom