What's new

The BRGAS (Back Roads Gold Appreciation Society)

Alright, time to check out what I received!
FDCAC9D0-3B23-4DFE-99B1-F86C84168D59.jpeg

A tuned up Fatboy, a mirror nickel Fatboy, a Milord converted to a ranger and a ”factory fresh” Slim.

First thing to note, Chris’s tune up service is amazing if the plating is in good shape without deep marks. It really brought a Fatboy that was bent back to to life as new with a great polish. Center is ”tune up” fatboy, left is a “factory fresh“ slim, and right is a near mint untouched slim
9C3954B7-F8EB-401B-A17A-19FEE14745FD.png

and my final thoughts on Chris’ services in general66EF0C81-A21A-4F41-A275-266DD53A1B33.png
Some of these are untouched and replated by others. His competition that also is in good standing has a different approach, both with different benefits that offer a great product. I will definitely consider both replaters depending on what I’m looking for in the future.

His tuneup is his best value service if your plating is good.

Its worth it to bite the bullet for the mirror nickel over factory fresh.

Factory fresh covers up small blemishes (the slim I sent had corroded to brass slightly in spots) but deep ones that need to be polished out or the original finish to be stripped will still show slightly. Can’t tell in the photos but it’s something for those that may be obsess over finer details.

While my photos focus on finishes that are supposed to retain the factory look let’s not forget his mirror finish
9D920C17-B842-45B5-9C31-31D7A0DCD0F3.png

Last edited:
:clap: My newly Mirror Nickel plated New Improved Tuckaway set just landed today (after spending more than two weeks in the black hole called HM Customs [in the UK]).

Tuckaway-3_2023-03-04.jpg

Tuckaway-4_2023-03-04.jpg

Tuckaway-5_2023-03-04.jpg

Tuckaway-6_2023-03-04.jpg

I sent it to my good friend Doug (@Rosseforp) who flattened the handle's tail piece for me (so it stands up nicely for photos). Doug then sent it in to BRG with some of his gear. On receipt from BRG he sent it back to me (along with another special custom handle he's made for me :biggrin:).
Tuckaway-7_2023-03-04.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
:clap: My newly Mirror Nickel plated New Improved Tuckaway set just landed today (after spending more than two weeks in the black hole called HM Customs [in the UK]).

View attachment 1615770

View attachment 1615771

View attachment 1615772

View attachment 1615774

I sent it to my good friend Doug (@Rosseforp) who flattened the handle's tail piece for me (so it stands up nicely for photos). Doug then sent it in to BRG with some of his gear. On receipt from BRG he sent it back to me (along with another special custom handle he's made for me :biggrin:).
View attachment 1615778

Beautiful.

:clap: My newly Mirror Nickel plated New Improved Tuckaway set just landed today [March 4th] (after spending more than two weeks in the black hole called HM Customs [in the UK]).
And now that Mad March has finished, I got my first shave with it today. Fabulous!

Vintage April, 2023 — SOTD
Tuckaway-SOTD-G_2023-04-01.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac "Kleiner Bayer" 14/42 Silvertip D01 2-Band
Soap: Clubman
Razor: 1920s Gillette New Improved Tuckaway
Blade: Gillette 7o'clock Black (1)
ASL: Clubman VIBR

An excellent shave. :biggrin:

I shaved for a week with this Tuckaway and loved it. Now, just after its first use since replating, it shaves even better! Three cheers to Chris at Back Roads Gold for his exemplary work! :w00t:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

After many years of reading about BRG and all the great work Chris does for our community, I finally took the plunge. Here is an absolutely stunning pre-war Tech that I just picked up from his Etsy storefront:

pwt_a.jpg

pwt_b.jpg

pwt_c.jpg

As expected, the finish is utterly spotless and you'd be forgiven for thinking this razor was made last week...not nearly a century ago. Bravo, Chris! You deserve every bit of your stellar reputation! 🥇

Here is my (new to me) stunning Fatboy G2 in white platinum by BRG! It looks and works fantastic. I didn't send it to Chris myself, I bought it from someone that specializes in Fatboys that BRG does all the plating for. I did send in an M1 Slim myself to be done in white platinum that I should receive in a couple days and will post. I'll put the Fatboy to work later today. :) Chris at BRG does great work!
FATBOY G2 COLLAGE#1.jpg
FATBOY G2 COLLAGE#2.jpg

I've been reading great things about Chris and his work, so I decided to send him some of my worst. A Gillette Senator with a broken collar, bent combs, and a scarred up face. Also a beat-up Milord whose doors wouldn't open properly, and which I wanted in nickel, like a Ranger. The Fatboy was to see what he could do mechanically (he fixed it to function perfectly).

1681895625102.png

1681895661932.png

1681895696014.png

1681895760105.png

To say that I'm impressed is an understatement. I would trust Chris with any razor I have, regardless of its value.

I've been reading great things about Chris and his work, so I decided to send him some of my worst. A Gillette Senator with a broken collar, bent combs, and a scarred up face. Also a beat-up Milord whose doors wouldn't open properly, and which I wanted in nickel, like a Ranger. The Fatboy was to see what he could do mechanically (he fixed it to function perfectly).

View attachment 1640627
View attachment 1640628
View attachment 1640629

View attachment 1640630

To say that I'm impressed is an understatement. I would trust Chris with any razor I have, regardless of its value.
A wonderful endorsement and what an interesting challenge given Chris, and completed so beautifully!

I am calling this a memorial razor. This is a D-3 Fatboy (technically a Gillette Executive Adjustable), very similar to what my Dad bought for himself in 1958 when he went off to college. This appeared on a BST, and was replated in 2018 by Chris at Back Roads Gold in rhodium. Set at 6, it gave me an outstanding shave these past two days.
20230418_063038.jpg

Top Bottom