What's new

The Big Tobacco Pipe Information Thread

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The Micah Method for waxing a Meerschaum pipe:

Thanks to @Hirsute for this great way of getting a messy job done. Post in context here:

Reprint:

I do wax my meers, but only when they need it. Generally, it's when the meer starts feeling a little rough instead of glass smooth. Ironically, a freshly waxed pipe can actually capture and set fingerprints, because the surface can be a little tacky especially if you use only beeswax.

Here's my method for waxing:

I use a low oven, like 200 degrees. I take some aluminum foil, make a cone, and place the pipe so the bowl goes over the cone and balances. You want the pipe to not be in contact with anything (except the inside of the chamber). With the stem removed, put the pipe on a baking sheet and pop it in the oven for about 30-40 minutes. You can do several pipes on a tray for a session.

You'll also want to get your wax mixture up to temp. I put 1 oz of cosmetic grade beeswax in a mason jar with about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of jojoba oil. The theory is that in the old times, makers used spermaceti from sperm whales with wax to create their blends, and that jojoba kind of does the same thing. Essentially is makes the wax mixture a little harder, more durable, and less tacky when it's on the pipe. But I digress. Pop the jar with the wax mixture in the oven at the same time and let it get up to temp.

After 30-40 minutes, remove the baking sheet and the jar with the wax mixture from the oven. using a clean brush (I use disposable small brushes from Harbor Freight), paint the outside of the pipe with a heavy coat of the wax mixture. be careful not to get wax into the chamber or into the mortise, or on the end of the stummel facing the stem. Be careful handling the pipe. It's hot, and you want to handle it as little as possible since it's very easy to pick up fingerprints at this point (I try to not handle it, or handle only with a clean dish cloth). Once your pipes are coated in the mixture, pop the sheet pan back in the oven for another 20-30 minutes. This will melt off the excess wax. Then pull them out and let them cool completely. Take a soft clean cloth and buff the pipe once completely cool. Viola.

Other methods include heating the pipe with a blow dryer and the rubbing it with wax, or putting corks in the chamber and mortise and dunking in molten wax. I like the oven method because the wax will penetrate deeply and provide longer lasting protection. Be aware that your pipe may darken or lighten when you rewax it. Just kind of depends on how much tar is in the pipe when you do it. If the color on the pipe is mostly surface color, it will likely get absorbed and lighten after you wax it. If the pipe is heavily smoked and full of tar, you'll likely draw some of this to the surface and it will darken.

Phil, it's not the relighting that concerns me. Matches are cheap. I'm just surprised that it happens at about the same point in each bowl. Perhaps I'm not filling the bowl enough each time, and not tamping as I should be. I'll experiment.

Phil, it's not the relighting that concerns me. Matches are cheap. I'm just surprised that it happens at about the same point in each bowl. Perhaps I'm not filling the bowl enough each time, and not tamping as I should be. I'll experiment.
I tried filling the bowl and tamping lightly each time with Carter Hall in my Mastercraft billiard. Maybe it's that I still puff pretty quickly, but the leaf went out at about 15 minutes, and I got another 10 with a relight -- standard procedure for me.

I tried filling the bowl and tamping lightly each time with Carter Hall in my Mastercraft billiard. Maybe it's that I still puff pretty quickly, but the leaf went out at about 15 minutes, and I got another 10 with a relight -- standard procedure for me.
It's a bit against the usual codger pinch or 3 layerings that one is told to use but have a look at the vid. Maybe this alternative way to fill a bowl will give you a more constant burn. Naturally it works best with ribbon cuts.

One of the Sir Walter Raleigh blends is a ribbon cut. Maybe I'll try that this weekend.

There's also the "take a big pinch and screw it lightly into the bowl" method that Mr. Jansen of the long-gone Ye Olde Pipe Shoppe showed me in the '80s. I've moved away from that -- but perhaps it's time for a second look.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
It's a bit against the usual codger pinch or 3 layerings that one is told to use but have a look at the vid. Maybe this alternative way to fill a bowl will give you a more constant burn. Naturally it works best with ribbon cuts.

This works amazingly well!
For me, it's slightly more messy, but a little prep pays off.
Over the tobacco tray works a treat, and the remainder gets poured back in.
Not sure I could pull this off while out and about without a table and a napkin.
Must experiment!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The way I do it, is put the pipe in my carry pouch upside down and use the inside of the pouch instead of my palm. Hope this makes sense.
It does!
I'm a clumsy oaf though, I need a tobacco pouch that's the size of a carry-on to do that!

Success! I loaded up my new-to-me French Lumberman with Edgeworth Match this morning. I filled it about 1/2 full at first, tapping the pipe to settle it; then another pinch, a little more firmly; and a third, lightly pressed down, to top it off. False light, tamp, relight . . . and the blend lasted me nearly 30 minutes without another relight. Tomorrow I'll see if I can reproduce that.

I have 50+ pipes of all kinds (new and estate) that I've purchased and smoked down thru the years, including one Dunhill and one Savinelli. I know that a single pipe is not a very wide sample, and one shouldn't form a firm opinion based on that. However, I must say of all my pipes, that Savinelli has the poorest vulcanite stem of them all. It will discolor just by holding it in your mouth. That has tempered my opinion of Savinelli pipes in general. :-(

I have 50+ pipes of all kinds (new and estate) that I've purchased and smoked down thru the years, including one Dunhill and one Savinelli. I know that a single pipe is not a very wide sample, and one shouldn't form a firm opinion based on that. However, I must say of all my pipes, that Savinelli has the poorest vulcanite stem of them all. It will discolor just by holding it in your mouth. That has tempered my opinion of Savinelli pipes in general. :-(
If a pipe, new or estate, has a vulcanite stem, and it's not well-polished to start, I am probably going to pass on it. I sanded, OxyCleaned, and oiled the stems of several of my 1980s pipes in '21. I don't ever want to go through that again. Acrylic or horn for me.

Those pipes with vulcanite stems that I do have are cleaned and treated with obsidian oil periodically. And I don't leave them in the sun.

So now my first question for you pipe experts.

Why the difference in price between a Dunhill pipe and a Savinelli?

I get why custom makers like Alden command high prices, and I get the quality and pride of ownership thing. It may not smoke any better than a Savinelli, just like my Nighthawk Custom GRP 1911 pistol (at $3,000) may not shoot any better than a Springfield Armory 1911 ($750), but I'm willing to pay for the craftsmanship and pride of ownership. No question there.

What I am questioning is how the heck do Dunhills go for 5, 6, or even 7X the price of Savinellis?? I also get the grading thing. A great smoking pipe with a flaw that needs filling cannot sell for the same as a flawless, flame-grained pipe of similar shape. I also get the smaller, probably family-owned shops that produce a smaller number of pipes, but more on a factory scale than J. Allen or Ryan Alden customs, can command middle prices in the $100-$250 range simply because they have their following.

But what is up with Dunhill prices? My suspicion is that it's the name. They mark it up because they can. I can get a London-style rain coat of identical material quality and workmanship, but slap a Burberry label on it, and the price instantly doubles. There are plenty of premium brands that can do that, and that's what I think is happening with the Dunhills. Clearly, if they stick their name on it, it's going to be a flawless pipe, but isn't the premium being paid simply for the name Dunhill stamped on it?

Here are a couple of scans from an Iwan Ries catalog I got with a tobacco order to show the difference in pricing. From the videos from each maker, above, I cannot see a big difference between their processes. What's up with this?

View attachment 1362147

View attachment 1362148
That Savinelli Fantasia listed above, is that, by any chance the same Fantasia made years ago by the Hilson company in Belgium?

That Savinelli Fantasia listed above, is that, by any chance the same Fantasia made years ago by the Hilson company in Belgium?
No, the Hilson Fantasia pipes were made out of some kind of resin they called "pipenite," and meer lined. It looks like the Savinelli's are briar.

A tad different smoker than a briar. I always broke a Meerschaum in more slowly, and tried to keep the cake thinner. I found the Meerschaum pipe a milder smoke. Not better necessarily, just different.

I bought a Turkish meer while home on leave in 1965. Cost me $13–far more than I had paid for a pipe at that time. About ten times as much in today’s dollars, so I guess it was a bargain, although it seemed a lot at the time.

I still have it. Still good, but don’t have a pipe very often these days.

Top Bottom