What's new

The Anything Thread

I've seen similar shows. I think most believe we're headed for a fate similar to the dinosaurs. Hard to say if we really are. Equally hard to say we aren't.

Off to the Niners game. This should be interesting.

I don't know gents. When I think of the technological advances promulgated by our species and what we are capable of achieving, I just find it hard to believe we will fade into oblivion. My dad once posited to me that maybe we are the seeds who will one day populate other worlds. Rather than ET coming to us, perhaps we are ET going there. New optics and imaging technology has already discovered something like 10 or 20 Earth-like planets out there. Plus from what I've seen, there is a very real possibility that Mars could be terra formed to sustain human life. Of course all this is in the distant future and we may well suffer one or more catastrophic events during the interim.

I'm always reminded of the biological imperative known as the Carrying Capacity. Basically any patch of real estate can only sustain so much life. As humans we have been able to alter and extend that capacity, but there must be limits. Might we someday experience a heavy die-off through war or disease? I believe it could happen, but in nature thinning usually occurs for the overall health of a species. In all the Earths' history nothing has existed like we humans. We are something totally different and unique, and I believe destined for more than mere subsistence or extinction. I probably sound like some wide eyed fool, but I'm not. I do recognize all our faults and problems and what a mess we can make of things. In the end however I do have faith in our ability to overcome and succeed.

Or perhaps this is all far too deep a discussion for a lazy weekend morning :biggrin:.

It does seem that no matter how bad we mess it up, we do tend to survive. I agree with a lot of what you say there. Mostly I think that at some point in the future there will have to be a die off of some kind, somewhere.

It does seem that no matter how bad we mess it up, we do tend to survive. I agree with a lot of what you say there. Mostly I think that at some point in the future there will have to be a die off of some kind, somewhere.

Man as a species has only been around for a short time relative to all other creatures that graced the earth. We've changed our surroundings to an extreme extent in this short period of time. While no other creature before was as intelligent (to our knowledge) as us nor as resourceful, I'm slightly pessimistic with regards to the length of time humans will be on the earth. There's still a lot of time for us to mess up.

Sorry for the depressing note. Er... happy Sunday, everyone! :biggrin:

Well if that's the case Dom then it's all the more reason to drink 'em while they're cold, smoke 'em if you got 'em and spend it if you have it right?

I'm down with that too. :a17:

I think it may be a problem that we are too technically advanced. Suppose we have a major war or even just a major financial depression. When our systems start to fail, most people will have no idea how to live without the services.

For example, consider widespread failure of our power and water systems. Even if the populace were to remain orderly, most people would have little notion of how to survive. However, I doubt that the people would remain orderly. Everyone would be out to take what others have,

Read The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Then try to be optimistic about our long-term future.

Tim

Well if that's the case Dom then it's all the more reason to drink 'em while they're cold, smoke 'em if you got 'em and spend it if you have it right?

And let's not forget to Shave em while you got um:shaving:

I think it may be a problem that we are too technically advanced. Suppose we have a major war or even just a major financial depression. When our systems start to fail, most people will have no idea how to live without the services.

For example, consider widespread failure of our power and water systems. Even if the populace were to remain orderly, most people would have little notion of how to survive. However, I doubt that the people would remain orderly. Everyone would be out to take what others have,

Read The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Then try to be optimistic about our long-term future.

Tim

I think some of the natural disasters show that is true... not to kick off a fight but think of Katrina...

Haha. It's not that simple, Shep. I do think we have to do things now to guarantee our future. I just think that a lot of the time, the precautions that need to be taken are not fulfilled, which will end up causing more problems in the future that will need to be fixed more urgently. By pushing aside problems now, and creating temporary solutions, we're only passing on our burden to following generations that have to deal with it in some way. I think we need to work on fixing what needs to be fixed now, instead of putting it off.

But there is something to be said for living life in the moment. My girlfriend tells me that all the time. I quote: "enjoy the ride". Just so everyone knows, she's always right. :001_tt1::a53:

There are certainly different scenarios that could play themselves out based on as yet unknown factors and forces. I would never be so bold as to make a prediction what will become of us. I do know a few things though. Apocalyptic movies and books sell because they are morbidly intriguing, spooky and in their way appealing to us as we enjoy a good campfire ghost story. End of Days soothsayers have been around for millennia. When the Persians overran the Greeks, when Rome was burning, when poison gas was unleashed in WW1, when Hitler and Stalin killed millions all the way up to 9/11 and Katrina there were those proclaiming it the end. Yet we always come through the other side.

In a world filled with infinite possibilities and outcomes it's impossible for us to hazzard a guess. I will say this though. If you knew for certain it would all come to an end in five years, do you want to spend your remaining time hoarding food and water, stockpiling guns and ammo (to do what with them exactly?), digging an underground bunker to hole away in? To what end? What will you be surviving to accomplish? If that's what the world comes to then the dead are by far and away the luckier. I'm not suggesting one not be prepared, but I would not want to live in paranoia, fear and mistrust my last days. I know how that sounds; like so much happy, crappy fluff, but if I'm going out I'd rather do it with some dignity and honor.

Personally I don't believe it will come to that anyway so it's all speculation. I do agree without electricity, electronics and plumbing things would be mighty uncomfortable. Let's hope that big bang sunburst never happens. And with that I bid you all a good Sunday. I'm out the door to play.

We got a little philosophical and deep over the weekend so back to the lighter side.

I rewatched Charlie Wilson's War last night. That is just a flat out enjoyable movie and the true story of Congressman Wilson is just as good. Is there nothing Tom Hanks can't do? I'll admit the DaVinci Code was pretty slow, but it raked in a ton of cash. Castaway could have flopped in somebody elses hands, but he made it work. Band of Brothers is flat out the best war series ever made, ever. Now I'm told he has another WW2 series coming about Marines in the Pacific campaign. That should be excellent too. I think Hanks just might be my favorite actor, and he may also be one of a few left in a dying breed...actors who can act. I'll give props to Philip Seymour Hoffman though (costarred in Charlie Wilson's War); he is one decent actor himself. Good job on that one Canada.

Conversely is there no saving Kevin Costner? His stuff just blows now. Remember No Way Out, Revenge and Bull Durham? Pretty decent stuff early in his career but he's become just another hack the past 15 years or so. Plus now, I don't think anyone in the industry takes him seriously so he doesn't get offered the "good" roles.

These are my thoughts anyway.

I liked DaVinci Code. The best thing in Charlie Wilson's war was coach Wade Phillips daughter playing the belly dancer. If you are not familiar with her watch My Chemical Romance's video "Helena" on the tube. She is the girl in the coffin. Oh heck, here it is. She appears right around 2 minute mark. And if anyone can get one of those umbrellas at the end of the video I will pay and be thankful.
[YOUTUBE]95t6XH2o49M[/YOUTUBE]

I feel like I can't really input anything useful whenever we talk about movies in this thread. I don't watch any. :tongue_sm

If any of you ever want to talk about classical music, though... :a21:

I feel like I can't really input anything useful whenever we talk about movies in this thread. I don't watch any. :tongue_sm

Got to sing Mozart's Dies Irae in Carnegie Hall once. That was quite an experience, and a great song for Carnegie's acoustics. (Don't be too impressed -- it was a high school choir thing.) I've loved that song ever since.

Oh, and I also really enjoyed Charlie Wilson's War. :smile:

Somebody needs a membership to Netflix! I'm not a fan of going to the movies, but I do like watching DVD's at home. I think it started several years ago as a cheap way of entertainment when money was tight. Instead of going out we just watched a movie every night. Now it's habit. Plus I like the diversion after having BS shovelled my way all day. I'll admit it, I'm a TV junkie.

EDIT: and btw, my surviving the odds thread is dying a painful death. Go post something there just to validate it :biggrin:.

How cool is it that the local wally world had the VDH boar brush on for $2.50?

Well bro, from what I've been told it ain't worth much more than that. You needs to upgrade my man! Heck the Body Shop sells a synthetic for 12 bucks that gets good reviews. Were I in the market I think I'd take a serious look at the B&B brush. Just the other day they opened up a thread for those intersted in round two. I know they're selling two varieties. This is the one w/ the clear handle for $50. I think it's purdy.

EDIT: Here's the link to that thread. It's the B&B Essential. Mmmmmm.

How cool is it that the local wally world had the VDH boar brush on for $2.50?

yeah, I saw that thread...I'd grab it, just as a backup if nothing more. I'm happy with my $10 Tweezerman (hurry up B&B E, been hard holding onto that reserve :biggrin1:), but regularly break out the Burma Shave or VDH for a change
seeing that the VDH's are a tad of $4 here, that's quite a deal down there.

Top Bottom