What's new

The Abridged History of Mooncalf

I started on this adventure a couple months ago, and am loving every minute. I've established my base rig (to which I return after every new adventure), and have been experimenting with new soaps/creams of late.

My first DE shave...

Weishi 9306-F razor
Dorco ST-300 blades
Wilkinson Sword Pure Bristle (boar) brush
J.M. Fraser's shaving cream (original lime scent)

All I can say is WOW... Where has this stuff been all my life?

Here is some history. I had been shaving with an electric shaver for the previous 10 years before it promptly died one morning. Strangely I was still holding on to my old Mach3 (which I learned on), so out it came. That same morning I remembered why I went to an electric shaver in the first place... It wasn't because the shave was any good, but at least I avoided most of the irritation and bumps.

Well, to put a long story short I very quickly decided I wasn't happy, and began searching for something better. Unable to continue with my Mach3, I began looking through my old Christmas stocking stash - you know, the stuff you smiled and accepted graciously, then secretly and unceremoniously abandoned in a drawer somewhere. What would I find, but some Personna single blade disposable razors.

The Personna's changed my world irrevocably. When I first saw them, I believe I wondered not so secretly why my in-laws would be so cheap they didn't even spring for double bladed disposables. Well I'm now quite glad they made that choice, and wonder if fate was at work. First shave with the Personnas... brilliant. Not the closest shave I've ever had, but my face felt smooth and calm. Almost no irritation, and the razor bumps vanished a few days into the new routine. In the coming weeks I was blown away at how easy and comfortable it was to shave with a single blade.

This was far better than either the electric or the Mach3, but now I knew a good wet shave was even possible, it became a crusade to find even better. I believe I first encountered SMF, though B&B was soon after. Mantic's videos sealed the deal for me... I knew I wanted try DE sooner rather than later. As all good things come to an end, I eventually ran out of the Personna razors and was unable to find any more. In desperation, I bought some Gillette Good News disposables - how do these things still get sold? Right back to pulling and irritation. Good News is nothing but bad news in my books.

So off to eBay I went, and got my starter gear, as listed above. I couldn't wait for the boxes to arrive... In the mean time, I still had to shave. After searching my house, I found another old razor I had inexplicably kept - the Schick FX Diamond, along with a nice stash of cartridges. This was actually a pretty good double blade razor design, and one with which I have at least some fond memories (even though I learned on Mach3 I have absolutely no love for it). Anyway, the FX carried me through until the couriers started rolling in with my new toys!

With much trepidation I carefully pulled a Dorco blade from it's little envelope wrapper. This didn't seem very inherently "safe" handling an extraordinarily sharp blade with nothing between it and my fingers but a thin sheet of paper. After placing the blade into my new Weishi, and noticing there was still a fair amount of exposed blade, I pondered the name "safety razor", and my own sanity for believing it. Well, no rewards are ever gained without risk, so here we go.

Lathering up my J.M. Fraser's shaving cream with my Wilkinson boar brush was surprisingly easy. I know now it wasn't a particularly good lather, but at the time it seemed at least as good as my canned goo. Interesting side note, based on a later experiment (since I had to use up old stock) canned goo (ala Edge) seems to perform acceptably OK when first whipped in a mug and lathered on with a brush! So now was the moment of truth... First swipe at my face with a DE razor. From watching the videos, and lurking on various forums, I felt I had a reasonable idea of what to do.

I am happy to report my first week of DE shaving came and went uneventfully. My starter rig was fantastic, the styptic never left it's case (in fact not even a weeper appeared). Now mind you I wasn't going for BBS or even DFS, I just wanted an acceptable shave with as little irritation as possible. After just a few days I had the angles worked out, and my shaves were getting progressively closer, still with no irritation. Mind you I took my time, moving slowly and cautiously, average shaving session for the first week was around 45 minutes. As my skill increased the strokes became more purposeful and confident, bringing my average time roughly in half.

After the usual starting point of a basic N-S double pass, I branched out to WTG & XTG, and even tried an ATG pass (not for me, at least no yet). I still wasn't thrilled with the results - anything too close also caused too much irritation to be comfortable. After reading about the Roberts method (to which I do not fully subscribe), I incorporated elements from it's standard 'cutting forms' with my regular gear and lather. Surprise - or maybe not - smoothest irritation free shaves yet.

That's when the various acquisition disorders set in. Blades, Creams, Soaps, Brushes, even Razors. Thankfully I think SBAD is satisfied, since I picked up an Omega boar, no-name Pure, EJ Best, and my latest - Rooney Heritage Emillion Super. I'm happy sticking with my Weishi 9306, Gillette 126, '68 Gillette Travel Razor and Parker 89r for now, but am still seeking a Gillette NEW to try out. For blades I've tried Dorco, Derby, Lord. Feathers are in the stable, but I still haven't worked up enough courage to use them as yet. For creams/soaps I've now tried J.M. Fraser, TOBS Avocado, Cremo Cream, Omega, Proraso Green, Col. Conk Amber, Cromwell & Cruthers Oil. I have Tabac soap and Derby cream on order, and Wilkinson Sword soap still unopened. I have TOBS St. James, but the smell gives me an instant headache... Have to unload that one.

First blood was my fault entirely... Anxious to try out my Parker (which is MUCH more aggressive than my Weishi), I loaded it up with a Lord blade, which was also new to me. Closer shave than my regular gear, but at too high a cost. I just wanted a shave, not a self sacrifice! Next day back to my "safe" rig (same as my original set - still the mildest I've yet to find) to let my face heal, then tried the Lord again in the Weishi. Better, but still too rough. Since I'm fortunate enough to have "converted" a co-worker shortly after I started with DE, I'll let him have the remaining Lord blades - maybe they'll work better for him.

Anyway, I think that about sums up my experiences to date. Many more to come, I'm quite sure, much to the dismay of both my pocket book and SWMBO. Thanks to all the regular posters for keeping such a vibrant wealth of information available for all to see. I know some may not like the lurkers, but speaking on their behalf, we all had to start somewhere. When dealing with sharp instruments in close contact with my face, I'd rather read all about it up front before I become the next punchline in a very sad joke.

Well, must go now, have to get some rest before my next shaving adventure!

Sounds like you are doing a very fine job!! Keep up the good work!! BTW...you will love the Tabac!!!

Sounds like a familiar start. My electric was going haywire, I picked up a cartridge razor and after one shave I wish I hadn't. Now I am here as well.

There are a number of us who followed that path toward enlightenment. Welcome aboard!

Great story! I love the Christmas stocking part. Perhaps I should look through a similar junk drawer I have -- maybe I'll find new shaving stuff, too! Thanks for sharing this with us, and welcome!

Welcome to B&B, nice story!

Yes stocking stuffers are a potential gold mine for wetshaving.

I got into wet shaving and then started pulling out stuff I had been given in Christmases past. One of the better finds was a sample set of the Royall lotions. There were a few others aftershaves that I've dabbled with (Azzaro, Klein, etc) but the Royalls were awesome.

Nice write up and welcome. Sadly, I've never been given shaving paraphenalia as a stocking stuffer. Maybe that'll change this year. :001_smile

Thanks for all the greetings and well wishes.

As an update, my Tabac arrived today - will be trying it shortly. A couple more razors in transit, and alas my pocketbook needs a rest. Has anyone actually tallied thier first few months investment? I'm fairly certain I could have gone somewhere warm for a week instead. :a6:

Welcome to B&B, and very nice intro. And no, I have not tallied up my initial investment - not 'til I get a bigger calculator!

Top Bottom