What's new

Tell me about these watches

I recently, for lack of a better term, inherited these watches that belonged to a great-aunt and uncle of my wife. Great-Uncle died several years before she and I met and Great-Aunt was well into her 90's when my wife and I met. My wife NEVER wears a watch and I seldom do.

They have the respective owner's names engraved on the back, along with "December 1951".

Neither seem to work and they hold zero sentimental value for my wife-she has other items of theirs that came her way that DO have sentimental value. I might be semi-interested in having the Men's fixed, for occasional use, if it wouldn't cost an arm and a leg. Maybe even see if I could get the men's fixed in exchange for the women's watch.

Could anyone here (since I know there are guys here at B&B that are "into" vintage watches) that could speak to value, availability of parts, etc. And how reasonable my trading the women's in exchange for the repair of the men's might be considered to someone in the biz.

Thanks in advance.

I will wait for someone who actually knows something about vintage watches chimes in, but Omega is a quality marque.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I can tell you very little. They look to be a good deal older than my oldest Omega (mid '50s or so for mine). They tend to be fairly expensive to service. It looks like the second hand on the subdial is missing, so figure a bit more to replace that. Hard to tell, but it looks to possibly be good (plate? Can't really tell). Sorry I can't be of more help

The mens watche seem to not have the original bands, as it looks to be a Speidel-type. That is no big deal, as leather bands can be used instead.

I don't know enough about vintage Omega's to comment on the value. Vintage watches tend to retain some value if they are untouched (dials, etc.). They are not inexpensive to fix, however, especially if the rehab involves main springs and the like. The parts are not particularly easy to source.

Best of luck. Take it to a jeweler and hope for the best. Or there is always the Bay.

I have had an omega constellation repaired and it is not a cheap affair although the outcome is good. If you really enjoy vintage mechanical wrist watches i can refer a couple vendors. Feel free to pm me.

I would also be willing to take them off your hands for cost if you don't want to keep them. I would look at repairing them then.

Top Bottom