Technology is still stupid sometimes

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Google app
Google Authenticator app
YouTube app
Chrome app

These are all Google apps I have on my phone. I’m trying to upload a video via the YouTube app, but I’m not signed in. So I sign in and 2 step verification wants me to open the Google App and enter the number provided within the app when the prompt shows up. Well, I’m not signed in to the Google App either, so no prompt shows up.

Ok, fine. I’ll sign in to the Google App. But wait…the Google App tells me to open the Google App and enter a number for 2 step verification when the prompt shows up. What? I already have the Google App open! So open the already open Google App? What?

Let me try Google Authenticator. Nope, same thing. Open the Google App. How in the *$$&%*(^^&$*&% are you supposed to sign in to all these apps if you can’t enter the 2-step code BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT SIGNED IN.

Turn off 2 step? Sign in? Turn 2 step back on? How dumb is that! This type of stupidity is infuriating.

Here’s another example. My phone says “syncing of photos is paused to save battery life”. I have 82%!!! 82% battery life!! What are you saving 82% Battery life for!? Sync the damn photos! I’d understand if it was like 20% maybe 30%. 82!!!!

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Google app
Google Authenticator app
YouTube app
Chrome app

These are all Google apps I have on my phone. I’m trying to upload a video via the YouTube app, but I’m not signed in. So I sign in and 2 step verification wants me to open the Google App and enter the number provided within the app when the prompt shows up. Well, I’m not signed in to the Google App either, so no prompt shows up.

Ok, fine. I’ll sign in to the Google App. But wait…the Google App tells me to open the Google App and enter a number for 2 step verification when the prompt shows up. What? I already have the Google App open! So open the already open Google App? What?

Let me try Google Authenticator. Nope, same thing. Open the Google App. How in the *$$&%*(^^&$*&% are you supposed to sign in to all these apps if you can’t enter the 2-step code BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT SIGNED IN.

Turn off 2 step? Sign in? Turn 2 step back on? How dumb is that! This type of stupidity is infuriating.

Here’s another example. My phone says “syncing of photos is paused to save battery life”. I have 82%!!! 82% battery life!! What are you saving 82% Battery life for!? Sync the damn photos! I’d understand if it was like 20% maybe 30%. 82!!!!

iphone huh? Money on it's more an apple not playing well with an android type of issue or the other way around.
Why I can't Bluetooth photos from my 'droid phone to an apple phone is just rubbish. Why can't these two companies play nicely in the sand pit.

Today at work, the IT guy is getting heavy about insisting on getting a ticket before he does any job. His ticket system has done nothing to improve the time to getting things fixed, if anything some things are just slower to fix. I think I should send him a ticket, for his broken ticket system.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
iphone huh? Money on it's more an apple not playing well with an android type of issue or the other way around.
Why I can't Bluetooth photos from my 'droid phone to an apple phone is just rubbish. Why can't these two companies play nicely in the sand pit.

Today at work, the IT guy is getting heavy about insisting on getting a ticket before he does any job. His ticket system has done nothing to improve the time to getting things fixed, if anything some things are just slower to fix. I think I should send him a ticket, for his broken ticket system.
You misunderstand - the ticket is to make HIS life easier.

Apple is the "stickest" company out there. They will never reutilize an already existing format/utility/hardware and they will instead invent their own thing that ONLY works with themselves so that you are forced to buy their stuff. Some might call this good marketing, but this is one of the reasons why I avoid their products, like the plague.

Apple on their newest iPhones has USB-C connectors, not because it was their choosing, but because of a lawsuit, that was in Europe, that forced them to use USB-C and not their proprietary lightning connector.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Apple is the "stickest" company out there. They will never reutilize an already existing format/utility/hardware and they will instead invent their own thing that ONLY works with themselves so that you are forced to buy their stuff. Some might call this good marketing, but this is one of the reasons why I avoid their products, like the plague.

Apple on their newest iPhones has USB-C connectors, not because it was their choosing, but because of a lawsuit, that was in Europe, that forced them to use USB-C and not their proprietary lightning connector.

Their Bluetooth headphones work with any other Bluetooth device. You can use any mouse made by any manufacture with their computers, and keyboard for that matter, or….actually pretty much any software or hardware for computers as long as it‘s compatible with MacOS and most are these days.

You can download apps not from the App Store to your Apple device as well.

Thousands of accessories not made by Apple work with their phones, iPads, computers, watch, etc, etc.

Perhaps your argument is only valid for their old 30-pin and Lightning ports. But even still you could buy adapters for those.

I love failing tech. It keeps me well employed, although I deal with the network, not end devices. As far as Apple is concerned, I have my first iPhone and did so primarily to get used to the platform to help my wife know how to use her iPhone. There are some things I prefer and some things I would change, just like on my Android phone.

Their Bluetooth headphones work with any other Bluetooth device. You can use any mouse made by any manufacture with their computers, and keyboard for that matter, or….actually pretty much any software or hardware for computers as long as it‘s compatible with MacOS and most are these days.

You can download apps not from the App Store to your Apple device as well.

Thousands of accessories not made by Apple work with their phones, iPads, computers, watch, etc, etc.

Perhaps your argument is only valid for their old 30-pin and Lightning ports. But even still you could buy adapters for those.
You mean like FaceTime and such that is just for Apple? or transferring files between devices via Bluetooth? or the fact that to be compatible with Apple you need a certain Bluetooth circuit, which makes it more difficult/expensive to make Bluetooth devices for Apple? or that they make it a pain to play iTunes music on an Android device? or..... It is not all in the past. Some of these things you can in a roundabout way get to work, but it is certainly not straight forward.

Like I said before, it is all part of their marketing for good or bad. I choose to not partake in the "locked down" type business model that they have chosen for themself. I am not saying that they are making bad products in any way. I just do not care for their business model and choose not to use their products. YMMV as always.

Last edited:
When something like this happens to me I just hand it to my wife and say something like “me no understand interwebs” and it comes back working every time.
That is what my wife does. I tell her I design and manage networks, not end user devices, but she expects me to fix it anyway.

I think wireless devices are designed to fail. I can never get wireless printers to work and I have been in IT for 42 years. I have a Laserjet 4100N plugged into a wireless extender via Ethernet and it works flawlessly.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Two things I learned about "technology" a long time ago.

If you don't master it, it will master you.

And while they all claim to make life easier, they all wind up making more work to maintain them.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I think wireless devices are designed to fail. I can never get wireless printers to work and I have been in IT for 42 years. I have a Laserjet 4100N plugged into a wireless extender via Ethernet and it works flawlessly.

Ethernet is the quintessential IT life saver, and immediately resolves many issues. The standards and protocol are much more enduring and stable than wireless. A wiser long term investment if you can afford it.

First thing I did with our present house over 25 years ago is wire it from one end to the other with CAT 5e. Over 2,000 feet of it. Multiple jacks in every room. At that time, fast ethernet 10/100 was the prevailing standard and 5e was SOTA. And we are still pumping data through it today.

I'm told even after 25 years it can handle 2.5G no problem, and 5G on the shorter runs, if we ever need it. I can't imagine any client needing more than 5G Ethernet in a residential deployment in the remainder of my lifetime.

I remember fitting an ethernet to serial adapter to an old 6p to turn it into a network printer. Added 7 years service to the thing.

Now it's a chore to keep old 802.11G clients connected to a modern router. And that's the difference.

If it's not a mobile device, it gets an ethernet hookup here. Perfect stability. Zero problems, long into the future.

I use a mesh wireless network at home. It provides all the speed I need as I don't play online PC games, and provides excellent coverage for the house. I don't recall the last time I plugged in a printer, but it has been years. I considered wiring the house but to retrofit it would take more time and effort than I wanted to spend. I would likely have Cat 6a or 7 run if I were to have a home built today, but would still have wireless available for phones and tablets. We are moving a lot of connectivity to wireless at work as well and rarely have an issue. Of course, we are using enterprise access points and controllers so nothing like I would have at home. We continue to have a lot of wired connections as some functions, such as VTCs, data analytics and GIS, use a lot of bandwidth.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
As an electrician that used to install all the Cat5 in new houses, when we build a new, or remodel this, house I’m running 1/2 conduit to any and all hardwired jacks. As technology changes you can simply pull out the old while pulling in the new. I talked my FIL into doing this even though they probably won’t be around long enough to see any huge advances in the tech since their house is only 3yrs old.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I know a person who has Amazon Prime on their phone and notebook. He calls for help buying things. He has the highly dangerous Buy It Now button and still cannot handle it. He is allowed to drive, vote, buy guns, and so on. Maybe AI needs to take over.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
As an electrician that used to install all the Cat5 in new houses, when we build a new, or remodel this, house I’m running 1/2 conduit to any and all hardwired jacks. As technology changes you can simply pull out the old while pulling in the new. I talked my FIL into doing this even though they probably won’t be around long enough to see any huge advances in the tech since their house is only 3yrs old.

This is the way. While all the clients runs were static 5e drops, we put in 1" conduit for the main data trunks (provider drops and server to main switching loads), anticipating things that didn't exist then.

Multiple 5e drops, and double RG-6QS drops to every room. Back then, it was just called "structured wiring". All USA-made plenum grade cable. All very carefully placed and terminated for minimum interference and loss. Not cheap. But it passes the multi-gig signal analyzer tests even today. It can't do 10G, however. It has all served us very well for many years.

I'm probably like your father in law. I'll be in the ground long before we need 10G main trunks in our house. But it may help sell the house.

Top Bottom