What's new

Taylor of Old Bond Street Hardening in its jar -why and what to do?

Probably just dehydrating. I would just use as normal, as you load your brush from your tub, some water will transfer into it to help rehydrate it

Noodles,
Thanks for the reply. I have plenty of shaving soaps. Sort of defeats the purpose of buying a shaving cream, though. :wink2:

By the way - this doesn't seem to happen with my trusty old St James of London creams (which I prefer, anyway).

Indeed, simple solution, add water, leave it for a few days, then stir.
Works great, at least for me!
And, TOBS creams are outstanding!
FWIW, my TOBS creams from many years ago, are still soft!

taylor old bond st jermyn rooney kai june 19 2015.jpg

You could try nuking the TOBS to soften it. I softened it to make it flat. Bursts of about 7 seconds at 30% power should keep the smoke detectors quiet. Stir if you can between passes. It breaks up the chunks.
Once it's liquid, you could add a little water and stir it in. Then let it cool.
The how much water is a guess. The more you add the softer the final product will be.
The only part of this I'm sure of is my tub of TOBS survived the microwave, and the fire department did not show up at my door.

Here is a solution. Buy your creams in a tube. That will ensure they are in the cream-like state that you prefer. Most of the big names offer their creams in that manner.

Not a long-term solution for folks that keep creams for years, whether sealed or open. Eventually the cream will separate and clump inside the tube IME. In some cases it may be possible to run the tube under hot water and mash it together to re-mix the components, but depending on the cream that may not work all that well.

Most of the creams in jars I kept for 10+ years are still okay, though they did dehydrate and turn to soaps.

Had to toss creams in tubes in many cases.

I've had this happen randomly with TOBS creams. Some tubs do it, and others don't. It's never affected the performance of the cream. The hardened stuff just needs to be roughed up more when creating the lather in the bowl.

Top Bottom