What's new

Tabac-Why So Good

I have a nearly complete Tabac collection - bath soap, shave soap, aftershave splash, balm, cologne, and EDT - and I use it a lot, despite the fact that I cannot recall a day here in San Diego when the temperature did not exceed 40 degrees.
+1 ... that's the right way to do it. Nothing goes better with Tabac except more Tabac.

Don't forget to add Tabac deodorant (stick or spray,) shampoo, and if you need it, hair gel.

I do put it away in the hottest part of summer, preferring something with a menthol kick.
For the summer, I switch to Noxzema as a pre-shave, C.O. Bigelow cream, with Proraso ASL. Summer is the time of year when I enjoy a few cold-water shaves as well. Great way to beat the heat.

I bought a stick of tabac aboutn18 months ago, used it a few times and stopped as I wasn't enjoying the scent.

Picked it up again this week, and after 3 shaves I'm not getting it dialed in. Previously was using Stirling SDM and La Toja. I'm a face latherer, and my approach is to have enough in the brush for 3 passes. So far I've only got 2 and had to reapply.

Not a big deal I know, but any tips? Is tabac particularly thirsty, or dry or needs more lather time?

I am sure I would have face lathered 18 months ago when I bought and tried it, as it was in a hotel in Cologne.

I use an Omega 49, which is soaking while I'm showering.

And the puck does require some breaking in. Give it a good soak overnight underwater, pour off the excess in the morning when you do your shave. Repeat the soaking for 2 or 3 nights.

My granddad always used a Tabac puck, and I cannot remember that he ever did something special.

He also used it all year through. It was the only soap I ever saw him using.

Not a big deal I know, but any tips? Is tabac particularly thirsty, or dry or needs more lather time?

I noticed that it (Tabac stick) takes a little bit longer to lather up than the Palmolive stick, which is another favourite of mine but I don't have any particular problems with Tabac either. I also face lather and create the lather stick-on-brush (I don't run the stick across the face). It takes maybe 15 seconds longer that way until enough soap is transferred to the brush as with the Palmostick (which lathers very easily). So maybe use a bit more soap.

Tabac smells like the zombified corpse of Granmda Ethel after she keeled over from too many Pall Malls at the nickel slots in a Reno truck stop.

It's an acquired taste.
I did not have to acquire the taste for the scent. I liked it the moment I unwrapped the puck.

It is a fantastic product and I'm glad you liked it so much. Now, for very subtle scents and a performance that rivals Tabac, try Haslinger soaps! I have the Shafmilch, Sage, and Marigold and love them all.

I did not have to acquire the taste for the scent. I liked it the moment I unwrapped the puck.

It is a fantastic product and I'm glad you liked it so much. Now, for very subtle scents and a performance that rivals Tabac, try Haslinger soaps! I have the Shafmilch, Sage, and Marigold and love them all.

I wish I could get along with Schafmilch, but I couldn't. Such a great lather, too [emoji17]

Go ahead and give it a try, but keep in mind that Tabac is considered by many to be a Winter soap. It is at its best when the outside temp is below freezing. I won't use it if the weather report says it will be above 40F that day.

And the puck does require some breaking in. Give it a good soak overnight underwater, pour off the excess in the morning when you do your shave. Repeat the soaking for 2 or 3 nights.

Don't be surprised if the aroma doesn't smell too good at first. Just put it away and try it again in the dead of winter. The performance is legendary and works any time of year, its just the aroma that is at its best in c-c-c-cold weather.

I enjoy my Tabac soap year round.

Never had to soak it overnight. Just put on a little bit of water while your brush soaks, should be good to go.

I agree, I've never soaked mine, just a bit of warm water before the first lather. I use it at least twice a week during Spring & Summer, 4 Xs a week in Fall & Winter.

... Not a big deal I know, but any tips? Is tabac particularly thirsty, or dry or needs more lather time? ...

I use an Omega 49, which is soaking while I'm showering.

I'd suggest more water, and building an extra minute or two, it's thirsty and can handle a good amount. Try a practice face or palm lather, keep adding small amounts of water slowly, it has a wide sweet spot of usable lather, until it's a runny unusable glob.

While building your lather, occasionally rub a bit between your thumb & forefinger to check slickness, and slowly pull them apart to check the hydration.

I'd suggest more water, and building an extra minute or two, it's thirsty and can handle a good amount. Try a practice face or palm lather, keep adding small amounts of water slowly, it has a wide sweet spot of usable lather, until it's a runny unusable glob.
+1 ... Tabac, being a tallow-first product, is very tolerant of being over and under-watered. If in doubt, I find its better to be too wet than too dry with this soap.

And BTW, that runny glop is how I usually apply it. It can get so thin that its practically falling off my face, and it sure doesn't look pretty, but the performance is still there.

And if you can get some, add Tabac cream to the mix. I usually apply it first as a pre-shave and then lather the soap over top. The two together make an awesome SuperLather. In fact, if I had to shave with just one, not the other, I'd keep the cream and ditch the soap.

And BTW, that runny glop is how I usually apply it. It can get so thin that its practically falling off my face, and it sure doesn't look pretty, but the performance is still there.
I face lather with slightly runny lather and work the extra water out. I used to scoff at videos of guys applying lather with bubbles but not now!

Last edited:
... In fact, if I had to shave with just one, not the other, I'd keep the cream and ditch the soap.

I agree, and love my Tabac SC wet & drippy, it still maintains a good cushion and it softens my whiskers and provides a smoother shave better than any other soap or SC I've used.

I've checked my razor many times thinking I forgot to add a blade... honestly, I think we better duck & cover now, we are in a very small minority here, especially in the Soap Forum :w00t:.

I'm curious, what was it about the Shafmilch that didn't agree with you?

It seems that certain perfumes irritate my skin. I could feel it beginning to burn after a pass or two and it left my face in a bad way post-shave. Pity since I otherwise loved everything about that soap. TOBS creams do exactly the same to me.

Oh my. Sorry that you can't enjoy those soaps. What soaps & creams get along with you? Sometimes I have friends that are in the same boat and I would like recommendations.

I finished my initial puck that came with my kit from SRD and am trying some new soaps, particularly MWF and Tabac. In the past week or so I always get a super shave with Tabac. I even really like the smell. Lathers perfectly for me every time.

The MWF, not so much. I have a harder time getting it to lather and the performance just does not live up to all the hype but I find myself wanting it to work and will keep experimenting with it. Maybe it is just my technique. I use a skuttle but seems like I really develop the lather on my face. Really like the ceramic container but not sure it will always have MWF in it. If it matters I'm using a Thater 4292/5 dual band silver tip brush, great brush, by the way.

I am sure that I will always have a puck of Tabac going and can't imagine how a soap could be better. Just no clue as to why it's so good.

Soap certainly must be one of those YMMV but I really can't say enough about how well it is working for me.
Love Tabac and the old barbershop scent.

Top Bottom