What's new

Tabac Review No. eleventy billion

It really sounds like there wasn't enough water and lather buildup time was too short. I easily get a beautifully thick lather than never dries out at all. I would definitely give it another go and if not I'm sure there are plenty of people who would love to get some Tabac.

It had plenty of water. I have no problems lathering even MWF. I can get plenty of lather, but it isn't very dense (as dense as I like it), and it isn't as stable as other soaps I've had. The stability of the lather has less to do with water content as it does other ingredients to the soap that can stabilize lather.

I can understand that if you've never had anything better, sure Tabac is wonderful. If you've had something better, then, well...you've had better. Tabac is better than the el-cheapo soaps for sure. Better than any 'glycerin' soap I've had as well.

I'm going to PIF to some guys at work and let them try it.

A classic case of YMMV.
I find Tabac to be absolutely in the "crème-de-la-crème" category. It is excellent on all fronts, and I've experienced/use many soaps from Arko right up to MdC.
My blind spot is Mike's, which many on here really appreciate. I just couldn't get a stable, long-lasting lather. Like you can't achieve with Tabac.
All making for plenty of interesting dialog, debate, head-scratching etc.

It almost sounds like you did not use enough product rather than not using enough water.

But hey, you tried it and it did not work for you- not a big deal as there are a gazillion soaps on the market. One of the truly amazing things about shaving soap and cream is that we can all find such amazing differences from the same product. There are a few products that often come up on a LOT of people's top 5 or top 10 list that the only thing I can use them for is helping to fill the trash can in the bathroom faster. :)

Brian

Just shaved with Tabac and wanted to give my $0.02

<snip>

Conclusion: I don't like the scent at all, and the lather was not thick enough nor conditioning enough to last through one shave. There was plenty of lather left in the brush, but my face was already getting dry. It was enough to give a decent shave with a feather, but I've had better soaps. Compared to artisan soaps, I don't like how there are a lot of ingredients in the soap that have no business doing on my face. Just my personal preference.

Tabac takes some time - for some - to like. The first time I tried it several years ago I did not like the scent. It performed nicely and gave me a nice thick lather, however. A few years ago I was in Paris and I picked up a Tabac shave stick. The scent was fine and the performance was as good as it always was. When I got home I bought the regular soap. Either Tabac changed its scent or my nose got used to it.

Agreed- I bought some, along with the glass container, because I felt I had to due to its reputation and wide regard from straight razor shavers. I did not (and still do not) like the scent and the stuff was always drying up and cracking on my face. I would have been gone long ago except that a couple of well experienced shavers that I have a lot of respect for kept on about how it was the best soap going, etc. I finally tried it again and realized I was loading a LOT more product than I thought and so not using enough water- add water until it has a sheen and the stuff is simply outstanding, at least for me.

The scent I have gotten used to and of course as the soap ages the scent declines so that is a plus.

Brian

Tabac takes some time - for some - to like. The first time I tried it several years ago I did not like the scent. It performed nicely and gave me a nice thick lather, however. A few years ago I was in Paris and I picked up a Tabac shave stick. The scent was fine and the performance was as good as it always was. When I got home I bought the regular soap. Either Tabac changed its scent or my nose got used to it.

Tabac for me is a low volume, high density soap that tolerates a wide range of hydration. It won't ever fill up a lather bowl with soap (like MWF for instance), but it won't be airy and foamy either. It's easy to get that slick, yogurt-looking lather: load up a brush (preferably with excess water shaken out), then work the lather and add drips of water until you're happy.

Sounds like you didn't add enough water.

+1 on more water. It's super thirsty. I had a thick, creamy, moisturizing shave with Tabac this morning.

+1 on this. Add more water. Super thick and rich lather to be had when lathered correctly. Its hard to beat this quality of lather when you get the right proportion of product and water. If try it a few more times perhaps.

My guess is Tabac and the OP didn't hit it off right from the start, as he stated he didn't like the smell. And I agree with most of the comments suggesting that a lack of water was the cause of his poor experience with the soap.

Thank you to all of you who recommend adding more water and/or less product. I've been testing many different soap formulations over the past few months, and regardless of already how long I've been wetshaving -- I have the lathering technique down.
I spent a good bit of time palm-lathered the Tabac 3 different times checking to see what arrangement worked the best before shaving. I worked as much water into the soap as it will hold. Part of the problem could be the hard water I have here.

Don't get me wrong; it isn't a bad soap. I just don't prefer it. No need to defend a soap you have no loyalty to. We all say YMMV, but do we genuinely mean/believe it?

Edit: And yes, I can't stand the scent. I'm all for spending the time working up a great lather for a soap I enjoy, but I don't want to be constantly smelling something unpleasant the entire time. My wife doesn't even like the scent. I don't feel like smelling over 60 and retired quite yet.

Backstory: I received it as a PIF from a guy at work, who also got it PIF'ed from another guy at work. No one seems to like this soap. One of them straight shaves regularly. I'll see what the other guys say. I'm sure one of them is bound to like it. If not, I'll PIF to someone here.

Last edited:
Thank you to all of you who recommend adding more water and/or less product. I've been testing many different soap formulations over the past few months, and regardless of already how long I've been wetshaving -- I have the lathering technique down.
I spent a good bit of time palm-lathered the Tabac 3 different times checking to see what arrangement worked the best before shaving. I worked as much water into the soap as it will hold. Part of the problem could be the hard water I have here.

Don't get me wrong; it isn't a bad soap. I just don't prefer it. No need to defend a soap you have no loyalty to. We all say YMMV, but do we genuinely mean/believe it?

Edit: And yes, I can't stand the scent. I'm all for spending the time working up a great lather for a soap I enjoy, but I don't want to be constantly smelling something unpleasant the entire time. My wife doesn't even like the scent. I don't feel like smelling over 60 and retired quite yet.

Backstory: I received it as a PIF from a guy at work, who also got it PIF'ed from another guy at work. No one seems to like this soap. One of them straight shaves regularly. I'll see what the other guys say. I'm sure one of them is bound to like it. If not, I'll PIF to someone here.
Hey, hey! I'm over 60 and retired...and I don't "smell" :frown2:

Top Bottom