What's new

Synthetic Shaving Brush upgrade

I'm new to wetshaving and would like to stick with synthetic shaving brushes.

After doing some research (Siv's Top 10 and others) I bought one from The Body Shop. I like it but would like to compare/upgrade.

A Parker synthetic can be had for about $20.
There are some Omega synthetic badger brushes that are in the $35 range (like the 343178)
Someone suggested the Muhle synthetic (31K257/31K256/39K252) at $50 (said to be the same as the EJ Chatsworth)
And a higher end Omega synthetic badger brush (346235) is in that same price range $50

Is it better to just wait and save for the high quality brush or try a range of brushes?

Hello,

Welcome to the board.

A die-hard badger & boar addict myself, I must admit I am pretty happy with the Muhle.
I like it better with soaps than with creams though.
So you might take your preference for soap or cream into account.

And as for the upgrade, indeed I'd consider a bit more expensive brush.

I own a Parker synthetic, and it's a pretty good brush. It's a big step up from the body shop brush, for sure. It's much better with creams than with soaps, so if you're primarily a soap guy, it might not be worth it.

The Men-u and TOBS synthetics are around $70, I think, and I have heard good things about both. The Jack Black synthetic is my current, and it's really good, but expensive ($85). Plenty of good options out there for sticking with synthetics:thumbup1:

Thanks for the insight. I'm still working on finding my preference - liking creams so far but want to try some more soaps.

wimbouman - Nice to get a perspective on the Muhle from a badger & boar user.

KittensAndRainbows - Good to hear that the Parker is that much of an upgrade.

I'm new to wetshaving and would like to stick with synthetic shaving brushes.

After doing some research (Siv's Top 10 and others) I bought one from The Body Shop. I like it but would like to compare/upgrade.

A Parker synthetic can be had for about $20.
There are some Omega synthetic badger brushes that are in the $35 range (like the 343178)
Someone suggested the Muhle synthetic (31K257/31K256/39K252) at $50 (said to be the same as the EJ Chatsworth)
And a higher end Omega synthetic badger brush (346235) is in that same price range $50

Is it better to just wait and save for the high quality brush or try a range of brushes?
Best one I ever had is the Man U Shave synthetic from West Coast Shaving..looked it up here on the site and bought it. I like it a lot ..very good a applying lather..like a paint brush for your face

Top Bottom