What's new

Sword & Plough

www.swordandplough.com

Have you heard of this company? Has anyone ordered from them?

They recycle military surplus fabric like uniforms and tents and make them into stylish(?) items. They have messenger bags, Dopp kits, iPad covers, key-chain fobs, belts, etc.

They seem to be sold out on a lot of items, which either speaks to their popularity, or poor planning on their manufacturing arm.

Their marketing strategy seems to be on-spot, though. They latched on to a fairly simple concept and a niche audience and are making a run at a previously under-exploited market. Sort of like Sunny's Surplus for Fashionistas.

The prices seem a bit high for what they are. I can't see paying $69 for a Dopp Kit made from an old army tent, especially since I recall that fabric smelling pretty bad when it gets wet. And their prices on things like messenger bags and ruck-sacks seem ridiculous. But then again, they're selling much more than just fabric and stitching, they're marketing a "Concept." And some people are willing to pay extra for that sort of thing.

They don't seem to be making very much, but what gear they have seems to fall somewhere between L.L. Bean and J Peterman. I admire their resourcefulness for grabbing up a bunch of stuff that has been DRMOd and turning it into something else. But it's too pricy for me, and, although I can't quite put my finger on it, I feel like there's something a little creepy about their marketing. I wonder if it will have any legs?

although I can't quite put my finger on it, I feel like there's something a little creepy about their marketing.
+1 ... Looking at their website, its festooned with military jargon. They talk about their "mission" and "manifesto." They've got phrases like "Veteran Empowerment" and "Proudly Made in America" all over the place.

Even though I'm a Veteran myself, I don't subscribe to the glorification and near deification of service members. I did my time, I'm proud of it, but I don't even think about advertising it. Even when I was on active duty, I kept a low-profile when in Civilian clothes, and I refused to buy into the military mindset. When I was off-base, the only way you could tell I was in the military was from my haircut and the parking decal on my car.

Now, I work a Civilian job in a military exchange, and I'm surrounded by this all day, every day. We carry such products as Teddy bears dressed in Army uniforms, bumper stickers that say "Proud Grandpa of an Airman," and coffee cups, key-chains, t-shirts and ball-caps that glorify every rank and service branch and unit. It gets a little over-whelming at times, and I can't believe that people actually go for this sort of thing. But they do, and items like these are big, big sellers.

I wonder if it will have any legs?
Time will tell if this company will take off and be a huge success, or fizzle out and be a big nothing. Ask this same question again in about 5 years.

Last edited:
+1 ...

Even though I'm a Veteran myself, I don't subscribe to the glorification and near deification of service members. I did my time, I'm proud of it, but I don't even think about advertising it. Even when I was on active duty, I kept a low-profile when in Civilian clothes, and I refused to buy into the military mindset. When I was off-base, the only way you could tell I was in the military was from my haircut and the parking decal on my car.

Now, I work a Civilian job in a military exchange, and I'm surrounded by this all day, every day. We carry such products as Teddy bears dressed in Army uniforms, bumper stickers that say "Proud Grandpa of an Airman," and coffee cups, key-chains, t-shirts and ball-caps that glorify every rank and service branch and unit. It gets a little over-whelming at times, and I can't believe that people actually go for this sort of thing. But they do, and items like these are big, big sellers.

Time will tell if this company will take off and be a huge success, or fizzle out and be a big nothing. Ask this same question again in about 5 years.

:thumbup1:

That's pretty much my story, too. I was so circumspect sometimes that I just told people I "worked on the base" if it came up.

My dad was in the Army during Korea, although he never was in country. One of my uncles was staging in Guam for the Japanese mainland assault in WWII. No one from their eras thought much more than it was a job that most Americans had to do once in their lives.

I suspect that after 50 years of digestion the Vietnam heartburn reaches deep into the social psyche of many, and with the loss of the shared sociological experience of 85% of at least the men having a couple of years of military service it now looks unique to most people.

I do understand that the military wanted an all volunteer force because a cadre of professionals is less expensive to maintain than a group of "temporary" soldiers/sailors. And the congressional budgeters wanted lower costs, too. But I think society as a whole paid a price in loosing that shared connection that outweighs the dollar savings.

It was useful for a guy from Brooklyn and a guy from an eastern NC farm and a guy from a west Texas ranch to all be able to share a common set of stories. It did a lot to gel society into "us" like it should be.

Last edited:
That's pretty much my story, too. I was so circumspect sometimes that I just told people I "worked on the base" if it came up.

My dad was in the Army during Korea, although he never was in country. One of my uncles was staging in Guam for the Japanese mainland assault in WWII. No one from their eras thought much more than it was a job that most Americans had to do once in their lives.

I suspect that after 50 years of digestion the Vietnam heartburn reaches deep into the social psyche of many, and with the loss of the shared sociological experience of 85% of at least the men having a couple of years of military service it now looks unique to most people.

I do understand that the military wanted an all volunteer force because a cadre of professionals is less expensive to maintain than a group of "temporary" soldiers/sailors. And the congressional budgeters wanted lower costs, too. But I think society as a whole paid a price in loosing that shared connection that outweighs the dollar savings.

It was useful for a guy from Brooklyn and a guy from an eastern NC farm and a guy from a west Texas ranch to all be able to share a common set of stories. It did a lot to gel society into "us" like it should be.

I get a kick when folks show great surprise once privy to the extent of my military service. They always say something to the effect, "I had no idea, you don't seem like the type." This always makes me ponderous.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I get a kick when folks show great surprise once privy to the extent of my military service. They always say something to the effect, "I had no idea, you don't seem like the type." This always makes me ponderous.
Tony; Now I'm wondering just what "type" they think you are.:001_smile

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
After a bit of thought, I could see Tony in the military ...

proxy.php

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I'm not sure there has ever been a hab. thread moved to the clown house. (That's not a challenge :tongue_sm)

I'm sure the OP would like at least a couple honest opinions.

I'm not sure there has ever been a hab. thread moved to the clown house. (That's not a challenge :tongue_sm)

I'm sure the OP would like at least a couple honest opinions.
Actually, the OP is enjoying the way this thread is turning out ...
You can give it another day or two, and if it continues along its present direction, feel free to move it to The Clown House.

Top Bottom