What's new

Sweater Vest - To Fold or To Hang?

Found a good sale at a local Brooks Brothers that had sweater vests... since I was looking for them, I snagged 4. Now... is it better to hang them on a hanger, or fold them on a shelf? They are light weight / thin material, but not sure which is best...

I have to admit, I've never been one for "clothes shopping". Growing up, I hated back to school for that very reason - loved school, hated going shopping to get ready for it. But the more I browse through these men's stores, the more I am starting to dig it... just what I need, another addiction! :scared:

I would fold them, as the hanger could evoke stretching in the shoulders. With all my sweaters I wash in a machine on delicate in woolite (or another mild detergent), then lay flat on towels to dry, and store folded to help retain shape.

I prefer to hang them as it prevent wrinkles, but sometimes fold them due to lack of hanger space. If you use an appropriately sized wooden hanger I don't see how stretching would be a problem in a sweater vest but YMMV.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Fold.

Hanging stresses the shoulders, which over years can distort the garment. Minor creases from folding work their way out shortly after putting the sweater on.

Top Bottom