What's new

Sustainable Aviation Fuel (SAF) Raw Materials

The Reuters news agency reported this today:

JAKARTA, Aug 1 (Reuters) - Flag carrier Garuda Indonesia GIAA.JK said on Tuesday it is testing jet fuel mixed with palm oil in the engines of one of its Boeing aircraft, amid efforts to cut emissions in the aviation sector.

Indonesia, the world' biggest producer of palm oil, is keen to expand use of the vegetable oil in fuels to slash imports of expensive fossil fuels. This year, it rolled out the use of biodiesel containing 35% palm oil, the highest mandatory mix in the world, up from 30% last year.

Garuda said in a statement the jet fuel, which contains 2.4% palm oil, is being tested on CFM56-7B engines of a B737-800 NG aircraft. It added the test was launched last week.

"This initiation is our first step to support a green and sustainable economy, and make us a pioneer as the first commercial airline in Indonesia to carry out trials of renewable energy," Garuda chief executive Irfan Setiaputra said in the statement.

The engine test will be followed by ground and flight tests later in August, the energy ministry said.

The country in 2021 ran a flight test with the same fuel on an aircraft made by state-owned Dirgantara Indonesia, which flew from the city Bandung in West Java to the capital Jakarta.

So its not only tallow that other producers of sustainable fuels are after, its pretty much any oil that can be extracted from plants or other naturally growing sources.
I am not even sure whether this truly helps the environment, as I had mentioned before that palm oil plantations have their own environmental issues, but at times I cannot help wondering whether this race to extract oils from any source that grows on this planet does not more harm to the environment than it does good and may in the end become an exercise in corporate greenwash.

What it does, without any doubt in my mind, is increase price pressure for any existing users of these raw materials.
It will certainly bring price instability for soap producers and could lead to a situation where they rob Peter to pay Paul.

So what will Mitchell’s Wool Fat (MWF), who just switched from tallow to palm oils, look for next? :concern:

B.

2.4% isn’t much, and maybe it’s just an incremental first step in testing. Maybe it’s a hollow, useless gesture that scores political points.

They’d be more green if they collected and cleaned all their veggie oil they cook with to make a bio-kerosene. And the airports would smell like fries for the extra bonus there

Isn’t it already a massive problem in that country that forests are being cleared to make way for palm oil farms?

If the oil/fat is good for shave soap. It is good for aviation fuel. We may have to resort to shaving with aviation fuel.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Isn’t it already a massive problem in that country that forests are being cleared to make way for palm oil farms?

Palm yields the highest amount of oil per acre, about twice the next popular option, coconut. So it is by far the best option. The problem is one that no one wants to address, that there are so many people putting demands on resources.

See the first table.

Top Bottom