What's new

Sunscreen Outside of USA

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Hey there all. I was just reading that sunscreens in many countries outside of the United States are superior to those here in both protection and application.

I work outside for a few hours every day and have a light complexion, a history of skin cancer. So I take my sun protection seriously.

These days I use "stick" sunscreen either Sun Bum or Neutrogena Beach Defense. Both go on a tad "greasy" but are far superior to the lotions that are pasty and don't rub into your skin very easily. I am not opposed to something other than a stick.

I have serious white boy disease so I am hesitant to use anything tinted. I'd hate to walk around looking jaundiced or like a certain 🍊 president.

Please shoot out some recommendations and where it/you are from. Reviews would be appreciated (don't be shy, I've seen ya' all write short novels on razors, brushes, soaps and creams so I know you have it in you).

Anyone that has experience with products from the U.S.A., EU and/or Asian countries that can compare and contrast would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to chime in with your favorite products from the States if you'd like as other members may find value in the post but I've done my due diligence and won't benefit.

Much appreciated and don't forget your sunscreen!

We use skin aqua spf 50. Wasn’t greasy like others. Great protection. That’s all we use and order when we travel. Ordered from Amazon.

The Sun Bum stick has been the only sunscreen that I will use. Usually in the Spring and early Summer.
Can't stand lotions.

From a reckless youth, I am currently going through precancerous cell treatment on my face and had melanoma taken off last year on my back. Now, I put sunscreen on my face year round. I use Equate brand from Walmart. It seems to do the job. I wear at least 50 spf. One thing to make sure is your sunscreen isn't out of date. It does go bad.

I also am heavily invested in long sleeve fishing shirts. I wear one almost anytime I am going to be in the sun for an extended period. I am on the lake at least once a week during the summer and spend 2 to 4 weeks a year at the beach. I stay covered and slathered. My days of a George Hamilton suntan are over...lol

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
We've used Coppertone Sport lotion for years (usually SPF 30 or 50). It goes on pretty easily, is a little tacky for a short period, and then it all but disappears--never greasy. It really does last all day if you aren't able to reapply at some point.

I'm also fairly complected (and freckled), and I burn if I just THINK about the Sun for too long. I trust this stuff.

I have pretty hairy arms, and most of the lotions seem to just get caked up in the hair rather than on my skin. I've been using the spray on stuff for years. I've also recently read about non-US sunscreens, and am intrigued as well. Also starting to look at replacing my shirts with those that have UPF properties as well.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Lol'd at serious white boy disease.

This is why I can't jump anymore!

No help from me, as I just cover up with clothes as much as possible. Shorts are out, as I have skinny legs, and just enough care for the youth of this kountry to try my best not to scar them for life.

I like Badger Balm sunscreen. It comes in an SPF 40 and SPF 50 version. For daily use, I go with the 40. It's a zinc oxide sunscreen in a beeswax and sunflower oil base. At least that's true of the versions that come in a tin. They also have versions that come in a tube. It spreads out pretty easily, I think, and after a few minutes I don't notice any whitening effect.

Definitely use a hat in addition, though.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I work outside for a few hours every day and have a light complexion, a history of skin cancer. So I take my sun protection seriously.

As I understand it ... and no, I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night ... the cancer risk is not from sun exposure, but from sunburn. So if you can "work on your tan" without burning you should be fine ... and get a nice supplement of vitamin D in the process.

For me, when I need to protect myself from the sun, I opt for proper clothing rather than lotions. I believe that's the option preferred by Japanese field workers too.

1692730963745.png

For me, when I need to protect myself from the sun, I opt for proper clothing rather than lotions.

Completely agree. Thats why I have long sleeves and long trousers in summer as well and wear a hat. Also I avoid direct sun exposure whenever possible.

The thing is with lotions - they dont exactly have uncontroversial ingredients. And most folks dont even apply the suncreen correctly, using way too little and believing they have full protection. Not to mention how greasy they feel, even if they are formulated for the face and are "super light".

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
While I appreciate that one can wear certain clothing to protect themselves from the sun I do find, as someone that works outside, that is an ideal that is not always factoring in both sun protection and dressing for the heat. When it's 100° Fahrenheit outside I am not going to be able to cover every inch of my skin with clothing. That's just too bloody hot. I do not wear shorts, I do wear a wide brimmed hat, but that still leaves my neck and arms exposed. Trust me I understand that clothing is my friend.

My interest in sunscreens outside of the USA stems from the fact that the FDA seems to be behind in approving sunscreen ingredients by a decade or more.

If it applys better, protects better and all around performs better I am REALLY interested. As stated in my original post I have a good handle on what's available in the United States. I am not asking about those products. I am specifically asking about products available in other countries. Particularly useful would be anyone that can compare and contrast the two.

If anyone else gleans some useful but unrelated information from the thread that is great. On the other hand explaining to me that sunscreen is often applied incorrectly, the best defense is to cover up or I find this product available in the USA is not addressing the question I posted in the beginning of the thread.

While I appreciate that one can wear certain clothing to protect themselves from the sun I do find, as someone that works outside, that is an ideal that is not always factoring in both sun protection and dressing for the heat. When it's 100° Fahrenheit outside I am not going to be able to cover every inch of my skin with clothing. That's just too bloody hot. I do not wear shorts, I do wear a wide brimmed hat, but that still leaves my neck and arms exposed. Trust me I understand that clothing is my friend.

My interest in sunscreens outside of the USA stems from the fact that the FDA seems to be behind in approving sunscreen ingredients by a decade or more.

If it applys better, protects better and all around performs better I am REALLY interested. As stated in my original post I have a good handle on what's available in the United States. I am not asking about those products. I am specifically asking about products available in other countries. Particularly useful would be anyone that can compare and contrast the two.

If anyone else gleans some useful but unrelated information from the thread that is great. On the other hand explaining to me that sunscreen is often applied incorrectly, the best defense is to cover up or I find this product available in the USA is not addressing the question I posted in the beginning of the thread.
Tinosorb-based sunscreens are good. Do a search and you can get them online, as they're not sold in the U.S.

Tinosorb-based sunscreens are good. Do a search and you can get them online, as they're not sold in the U.S.
@Earl_Grey beat me to the punch there, but these are mentioned in the first video he posted. It sounds like these could work for you because you don't like the mineral products that don't rub in easily.

Hey there all. I was just reading that sunscreens in many countries outside of the United States are superior to those here in both protection and application.

These days I use "stick" sunscreen either Sun Bum or Neutrogena Beach Defense. Both go on a tad "greasy" but are far superior to the lotions that are pasty and don't rub into your skin very easily. I am not opposed to something other than a stick.

I have serious white boy disease so I am hesitant to use anything tinted. I'd hate to walk around looking jaundiced or like a certain 🍊 president.

Please shoot out some recommendations and where it/you are from. Reviews would be appreciated (don't be shy, I've seen ya' all write short novels on razors, brushes, soaps and creams so I know you have it in you).

Anyone that has experience with products from the U.S.A., EU and/or Asian countries that can compare and contrast would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to chime in with your favorite products from the States if you'd like as other members may find value in the post but I've done my due diligence and won't benefit.

Much appreciated and don't forget your sunscreen!

I wear sunscreen daily; it's the closest I get to an aftershave or balm. I usually use Neutrogena Clear Face or Neutrogena Sport Face, as they are fragrance free, don't leave my skin feeling greasy, and stay on well even when there's some water involved (sweating, exercising, swimming).

I've been interested in trying some Korean sunscreens because the idea of a light nongreasy sunscreen but it seems like they're not as water and sweat resistant as the lines I've been using?

I might try La Roche-Posay as I just found out it's covered under our health/insurance plan but have also been happy with what I've been using so might not. I'm interested in any thoughts about any of these.

Top Bottom