What's new

Suggest a razor

Hi

I've not been on this forum for a couple of years as I returned to electric shaving (I can almost hear the abuse as I type :001_smile).

I've always loved the fresh feel of a good clean wet shave but I find it time consuming and have struggled to find the right razor - I've owned a Merkur Progress, ATT something or other, Merkur slant, Merkur Bakerlite, Gillette Speed Speed and lastly a Gillette Slim. All have been moved except for the Slim.

My my belief is that I need something that isn't unwieldy, small enough to navigate the tricky areas and good for sensitive skin.

Any recommendations or am I resigned to a life of electric shavers.

Regards

I don't have a lot of experience with different razors. However, I don't think it can get much better than an adjustable. I have a Gillette Fat Boy and it is better than any other DE razor, cartridge, or electric I have tried.

Sent via mobile - Chris

Get a Gillette New Open Comb or Old style Open Comb. The head is much thinner and that's particularly helpful under the nose if that happens to be where you felt the Slim was too unwieldy.

I have (and use) all of the Gillettes mentioned but the New is particularly good under the nose.

Hi
I've always loved the fresh feel of a good clean wet shave but I find it time consuming and have struggled to find the right razor

Maybe try doing less passes? I found for me that three passes is not really necessary with certain razors. I can get away with the first past with the grain, and the second pass against the grain. Im finished shaving in less than 2 minutes.

I see that you have you tried slants, but what about open combs? Here is a cheapie that i have in my rotation that gives very efficient shaves. Romer "4 Platinimum that i picked up from everyone's favorite auction site for $9. Moderate aggression yet smooth for my beard. Another good open comb is the Gillette Old Type which can be picked up for around $10-$20. $IMG_20170118_115337014.jpg

How does the Slim work for you? A setting of 2 or 3 should be what you're looking.

How did the Superspeed work for you? And what year model did you have?

How does the Slim work for you? A setting of 2 or 3 should be what you're looking.

How did the Superspeed work for you? And what year model did you have?

I find the head on the Slim too bulky. The Superspeed was a Red Tip, not sure what year.

Get a Gillette New Open Comb or Old style Open Comb. The head is much thinner and that's particularly helpful under the nose if that happens to be where you felt the Slim was too unwieldy.

I have (and use) all of the Gillettes mentioned but the New is particularly good under the nose.

+1 The thin profile makes these the most maneuverable razor. Never has a great shave from my Slim and Fatboy razors.

All your previous razors, and your Slim, are praised for the shaves they provide. So, maybe a double-edge isn't for you. If it's unwieldy you want, perhaps a single-edge Schick injector would work better.

You might have better luck with an SE like the RazoRock Hawk or the Colonial Razors General.

You should definitely look into Schick Injectors. They are very small and maneuverable.

For DEs with smaller heads you could look into the following:
- RazoRock Teck II
- Lord L6
- Gillette Tech

Three piece DEs may work better for you than TTO DEs. They tend to have less bulky heads.

Another vote for the Tech or a New. The open comb Gillette razors from the 30's are my favorites, but a Tech might be a little more mild and can also probably be had for a few bucks less.

Must it be a DE. The Schick Injector is a razor you should try if you wish to return to the wet shave experience and replace your electric shaving ritual. Very easy and maneuverable.

Hi

I've not been on this forum for a couple of years as I returned to electric shaving (I can almost hear the abuse as I type :001_smile).

I've always loved the fresh feel of a good clean wet shave but I find it time consuming and have struggled to find the right razor - I've owned a Merkur Progress, ATT something or other, Merkur slant, Merkur Bakerlite, Gillette Speed Speed and lastly a Gillette Slim. All have been moved except for the Slim.

My my belief is that I need something that isn't unwieldy, small enough to navigate the tricky areas and good for sensitive skin.

Any recommendations or am I resigned to a life of electric shavers.

Regards

Pre-war triangle slot Tech!

I am on a quest for something similar. I have a Slim and Gillette ball end tech on the way and I get the feeling the Slim might not be what I want. I was also looking at a blue tip super speed Gillette , but I will wait to try the other two razors before I go with the blue tip as well. If those fail, I will see about a Feather AS- D2 or Bevel DE. Should that fail, I go back to Atra carts because those are the only answer I have found to be the perfect aswer to no nicks, irritation free and perfect for edging a perfectly lined beard from the barber and keeping it that way.

My dad started with a DE and thought it was too aggressive. He used an electric for 10 years. Then he switched to a Schick Injector and has been happy with that for 40 years.

Top Bottom