What's new

Strop Acquisition Thread

Just in today. Made in Poland by Dawid Saczuk. Met him on FB and he was a pleasure to deal with.
IMG_1559.jpeg
IMG_1560.jpeg
IMG_1561.jpeg
IMG_1562.jpeg

I'm more wondering about the blurb writer's strange relationship with the English language. "Will beat 'em all like certified checks?" Implying that the Devil brings people back to life? It's a weird mind that wrote those things.

After years of use, I finally moved up from my first "beater" strop to this beautiful strip of horsehide:

1707775347856.png

It's been said a lot on this forum, I know, but I have to add my words of well-deserved thanks and appreciation to @Tony Miller

What a great experience it was working with Tony. I reached out to him for advice about the right strop for the razors I most enjoy and he was quick to make very helpful recommendations for me from the stock he had available.

I've really been enjoying this new strop and have had a couple of shaves, now, with the smooth, smooth edges it gives. Thank you, Tony!

Forgive my ignorance, but is there a practical reason to own more than one strop? This comes from someone with nearly 20 safety razors, so no judgment!

Forgive my ignorance, but is there a practical reason to own more than one strop? This comes from someone with nearly 20 safety razors, so no judgment!
Practical, no. But this is a hobby for me. I enjoy changing things up, so I have several high quality new strops.

My vintage strops (mostly) work quite well, but I own them out of historical curiosity, not practicality.

Two SRs, one good strop, one finish hone, and a set of pasted balsa strops would keep me shaving forever.

Practical, no. But this is a hobby for me. I enjoy changing things up, so I have several high quality new strops.

My vintage strops (mostly) work quite well, but I own them out of historical curiosity, not practicality.

Two SRs, one good strop, one finish hone, and a set of pasted balsa strops would keep me shaving forever.
Thanks! I got pretty deep into some threads on honing, finishing stones, and paste today. It seems that many people use and like paste while others do not. For now, I plan to stay away since I have so much to learn and figure out already. I have dabbled with leather crafting, and have several leather knives, and use a pasted paddle strop for those tools, so I am familiar with the process.

Nah, but different leathers and finishes have different feedback.

I am a big fan of flax linen fabric strops to complement the leathers, though.

Top Bottom