What's new

Strange Barber Artefact

This is a decive again picked up by my grandfather from a flea market, the previous owner said that the device was used by a barber.
Does anyone has an idea what it does ?
It is made in Switzerland and it is produced by Allegro.

I'm sorry if this isn't the best place to post my question, but since I haven't got a clue what it is ...

"used by a barber"... in his barber shop?.. or in his house... or maybe while camping?... can not say it even look familiar in any way.... :detective:

Not specifically, as I have only several safety razor blades that have to be honed and stropped and I do it by hand. Actually, to be honest - I don't even do it - they just lay in their box. Never had this device myself.

I assume there is a leather belt that you attach to the devide and it spins while the blade is held onto the belt

Maybe others here have actually used it

Cheers
Ivo

Yes, indeed, that is an automatic stropping device for the blades of the early double edge razors. I've seen lots of them show up at the flea markets, but never felt 'inspired' to buy one.

Of course, I have had the advantage of having seen them in complete form with box and directions still in place. If memory serves, there might be a few other little bits that are missing (screws and/or little fasteners to secure the razor blade to the carrier).

The blade would be fastened to the carrier and as the user pushed the slide back and forth across the device the razor blade would be flipped over and over by the mechanism on alternate passes to carry the cutting edge across that tiny stone and/or leather inserts (the orange colored bit) which lies on a diagonal.

To tell the truth, there are many sorts of devices that were created for sharpening the first safety razor blades... and their use did not immediately cease with the introduction of the disposable razor blade.

Izlat is right, of course. This post (interesting though it be) belongs in the safety razor section :wink:

It is also a hone-they made a triple sided model. The red diamond belongs glued to the other side (the picture above it).

DO NOT use it on current safety blades- these types of sharpeners have been covered in depth in the safety side and google the brand to find out more on it.

Top Bottom