What's new

Straights in Antique Shops

I'm barely into using a DE and don't have any immediate plans to try a straight, but looking down the road, I see that anything can happen. Anyway, I was in one of those antique shops this weekend where there are a gazillion dealer booths. One of them had several straight razors, and everything in that booth was 50 percent off, resulting in prices of $10-15 for these razors. I didn't even ask to look at them, because I don't know a thing and wouldn't know what to look for or what to be turned off by. I can't imagine this hasn't been dealt with before, a sort of Antique Razor Buying Guide for the Clueless. If there is, I'd very much appreciate a pointer to it, as I haven't stumbled across it. I should specify that this is for using, not collecting.

Also, FWIW, the tags on the razors all seemed to be arranged so I couldn't see any identifying information through the glass (probably not purposely), but I think one did have the name Frederick written on it. Not sure if that means anything.

Thanks!

Avoid a razor with rust/pitting along the edge or close to it.
The pitting will make it impossible to develop an edge.

Avoid a cracked blade by running your thumbnail under the blade along the edge. Patina can easily conceal a cracked edge.

Avoid major rust/pitting along the bottom half of the blade if it is thinly ground. Taking out the pitting could make the steel so thin it will be like tin foil.

Expect to make mistakes. Therefore do not pay to much.

Avoid a razor that is tapered and/or has well developed/uneven wear on the shoulder of the blade.

I hope others will add to this list.

Hope this helps,:smile:

Frederick Reynolds comes to mine for the maker of razors. But if you couldn't actually see the full stamp, for all you know it could be "Frederick Funcoot."
The most important thing to look for in a used razor is the blade, and see if it's relatively free from tarnish, nicks, dings, and whatnot. An ideal bevel should be even and have little or moderate wear. The pivot point should look fairly clean, without a lot of tarnish or oxidation around it. Finally, the scales should be in good condition, though it's not ultimately important since you can replace them.
As far as manufacturing names go, there are probably a lot of razors out there that aren't well known as the more popular brands but perform just as well. It really comes down to how good the steel is. Avoid Pakistan-made razors at all costs.
As long as it's stamped "Made in Solingen, Germany", "Little Valley, NY", or "Sheffield, England" you shouldn't have anything to worry about the steel.
Hope this helps.

I've had a couple of razors that looked lovely when I got them, scarcely used. But on trying to hone them, it has become apparent that the blade is warped- not an unevenness from the hone, but a warp along the hollow ground blade, presumably from uneven tempering, which prevents it's being laid flat on the hone. Instead it wears in the centre on one side, and at the toe and heel on the other. Has anyone else had this experience?

Now I always hold it up to the light and sight along the blade, so as to avoid this happening again. Quite a problem with ebay razors, as you cannot examine them.

Thanks. Next time I'm at that antique center I'll ask to look at the blades. I'm fairly certain they weren't made in a third-world country out of old beer cans and broken Kalashnikovs. Some of the other booths had razors with warped scales, but the particular booth I'm thinking of had pretty good looking ones, at least what I could see through the glass.

I've had a couple of razors that looked lovely when I got them, scarcely used. But on trying to hone them, it has become apparent that the blade is warped- not an unevenness from the hone, but a warp along the hollow ground blade, presumably from uneven tempering, which prevents it's being laid flat on the hone. Instead it wears in the centre on one side, and at the toe and heel on the other. Has anyone else had this experience?

Now I always hold it up to the light and sight along the blade, so as to avoid this happening again. Quite a problem with ebay razors, as you cannot examine them.

I have a few that meets this description. I think that is why they showed up on ebay 75 years later in great looking shape.
The barber used it and then went to hone it and couldn't do anything with it but put it back in the drawer...

Glen

Top Bottom