What's new

Stay out !

I started with one coffee thread here a few days ago, which led to various espresso forums looking for an upgrade from our Nespresso Original line. Now I’ve picked a machine and grinder that are “buy once, cry once,” and cost $6,000. Result: we will continue to enjoy Nespresso for the time being, and I’m not looking at that hobby again anytime soon!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
"quod ali cibus est aliis fuat acre venenum"
(what is food for one man may be bitter poison to others)
- Lucretius

There are a lot of rabbit holes here, for a select group it is happy bliss to chat it up with like minded folks.

I try very hard not to get sucked into the myriad hobby/lifestyle traps that seem to abound here (with varying degrees of success).
It's dangerous for the pocketbook and one's sanity.
:wacko:

"quod ali cibus est aliis fuat acre venenum"
(what is food for one man may be bitter poison to others)
- Lucretius

There are a lot of rabbit holes here, for a select group it is happy bliss to chat it up with like minded folks.

I try very hard not to get sucked into the myriad hobby/lifestyle traps that seem to abound here (with varying degrees of success).
It's dangerous for the pocketbook and one's sanity.
:wacko:
Gotta love Lucretius

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Well, this might just be the safest thread on the entire forum to say that most of my hot drinks are tea with milk and sugar. Only a third of which are loose black tea, and the rest is Yorkshire Tea teabags. As for coffee, I might have four or five cups per week, and that tends to be split fairly evenly between instant granules, and pre-ground coffee brewed in a cafetierre. Again with sugar and cow juice.

The internet tries to tell me that if I bought better teas, I wouldn't need milk or sugar.
The internet is wrong.

The internet tries to tell me that if I bought better coffee, I wouldn't need milk or sugar.
The internet is still wrong.

The internet says I should roast and grind my own beans. However, it's basing that again on an assumption of preferring incomplete coffee... i.e. no milk or sugar. Why would these enthusiasts go to all that trouble of setting up their kitchen laboratories with all the roasters, grinders, precision scales, timers, and thermometers, and machines with more levers, dials, hisses and gurgles than a steam locomotive, and them not finish the job with a good glug of semi-skimmed milk and a dollop of sugar? Half a job! Well, a third of a job really, as you never hear them debating whether to buy a pack of plain hobnob biscuits, or chocolate hobnob biscuits either. :001_tt2:

I'm good I don't drink coffees. Good on tea too. However tea with honey for a sore throat is good. Sweet tea is good what do you expect I'm in Florida and its hot. I'm still waiting for it get cool enough for long pants.

Well, a third of a job really, as you never hear them debating whether to buy a pack of plain hobnob biscuits, or chocolate hobnob biscuits either. :001_tt2:
A telling point there.

As the late Terry Wogan said "Rich tea is the king of biscuits"

He made a strong case.

I cannot say I am a serious hobnob fan. I recall having boasters in the early 2000's. Palatable.

I profess to prefer tea. Coffee I use as a stimulant drug as and when needed. I find tea to have a mild tranquilising effect, balanced by some caffeine. An ideal combination arguably.

With tea my favourite biscuits for dunking are McVities milk chocolate digestives, malted milk, (Tesco do an excellent line) ginger nuts and custard creams. I also enjoy the occasional jammy dodger.

A dangerously unpredictable dunker are digestives. They are liable to structural collapse, based on the temperature of the tea. This can cause some fishing around with the teaspoon for floating debris, thus creating anxiety and a subsequent loss of confidence to the novice dunker.

Rich tea can also be problematic. I have noticed that a 3-5 second dunking window is optimum. These biscuits are the dunking choice of the professional in my opinion.

The coating of the milk chocolate on Mcvities I find give more structural stability to the biscuit in the dunking process. A milk chocolate digestive can be dunked for around 9-11 seconds with some confidence. A plain digestive, half that. Tea temperature as the dunking medium is an under researched field I believe and more work needs to be done here.

I only have sugar in tea if eating cheese and tomato sarnies. I find the flavour combination satisfying.

Last edited:
I'm good I don't drink coffees. Good on tea too. However tea with honey for a sore throat is good. Sweet tea is good what do you expect I'm in Florida and its hot. I'm still waiting for it get cool enough for long pants.
Nothing like a nice cold glass of sweet tea. Long pants in Florida? The part where I’m at that might be one maybe two days a year and even then shorts are still pretty comfortable

I try to keep it reasonable. I have good enough gear and knowledge to prepare my coffee the way I like it. I focus on what beans I should buy next and actually enjoy drinking it and not the process of tinkering with the machines and tools. I'm not making a technical sport of it and I'm not buying unreasonably expensive(hyped) beans just for the sake of it.
Men can make a sport of anything. I try to avoid that with any hobby I have or will have. :)

Top Bottom