What's new

Starting the switchover.

Fantastic Photo my Brother and you must be overjoyed to allow the Flavor Saver to return. Excellent Specimen of Sweedish Beauty you got there my Friend:thumbup:

Dear rich it this RAD of yours continues you'll stand in front of the shaving mirror one morning and discover that you're talking the same hurly burly that the cook spoke in The Muppet Show with your razors. You'll look at yourself in the bathroom mirror and see that your hair has changed color into golden and that your eyes suddenly are pale blue and that your at least six feet tall. You'll try to scream "My God" but the words will come out "Min gud". You'll feel the need for something to strengthen yourself with but then you'll realise that you don't have any picked herring or Absolut Vodka at home.

Remember that you've been warned[emoji6]

Your new razor is a joy to shave with. I like mine very much.

This has to be considered for "best post of the year" :lol:

Thank you. Would anyone like some more pickled herring? I've also got a couple of cans of fermented herring, but then we're talking about the heavy stuff that never should be opened indoors. It smells like an old paper mill only way much stronger.

Straight Shave #72
Kit: 5/8 Erik Anton Berg Shoulderless
Mitchell Mogul 824 Horse Hide strop
AOS Sandlewood NOS
12 oz. Crown King Scuttle
Omega +2 badger brush of lathering
Rubbing Alcohol

Looking at my USPS console I see the Seven Sisters are due for delivery today, but also very excited I have this EAB on deck for sea trials. It came to me pretty sharp, but I stropped it on some .3 micron optical lapping film to hyper polish it and then stropped it on leather for... well .... I don't really know why. MURICA!!

Soundtrack: an interview with Billy Meier. Kind of an interesting story. Not sure what to make of it yet, either he is telling a Madman, or a Genius who has actually been in contact with extraterrestrials. I will cogitate on this for a while.

Pass 1: First stroke impression: Gee, this blade seemed really really sharp with my test whiskers and arm hairs, but on my face, not so much. It is certainly cutting whiskers, but for some reason, it's not a comfortable shave, rather a "Meh" experience. I think perhaps because I had built up an expectation that the blade was simply not able to deliver on. Or, perhaps it was set to a bevel that I'm not used to. I don't know yet. It is doing the job for now. When the time comes, I will probably reset the bevel and run it through the brick yard.
This is the exploding soap and it lathers and cushions very well and this brush seems to like it just fine. plenty of cushion and slickness. No worries there. The rest of the pass is spectacular in it's predictability. Perhaps that is really what I should be striving for. To be able to get the same shave whatever blade I choose from the paddock.

Pass 2: Pretty much a continuation of the first pass. Not outstanding, but not bad either. I think a little tune-up on the Coti's with running water will do this blade a world of good. I am also intrigued by the concept of hyper-polishing as I tried with the #2 last time. So that it passes through the whisker before the whisker knows what hit it. Overall, a pretty OK shave for 2 passes, which gives me a chance to try Doc's edge sooner! :w00t: The postman us usually here in a couple of hours time.

Respectfully submitted,
RB

$Erik anton berg5jul16 (2).jpg

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Psst, Wanna know a secret?

Your soap might lather a little easier if you remove the plastic wrap. Don't tell everyone; it's one of those tricks I've picked up over the past few years. :tongue_sm

Straight Shave #72
Kit: 5/8 Erik Anton Berg Shoulderless
AOS Sandlewood NOS
Rubbing Alcohol

Looking at my USPS console I see the Seven Sisters are due for delivery today, but also very excited I have this EAB on deck for sea trials. It came to me pretty sharp, but I stropped it on some .3 micron optical lapping film to hyper polish it and then stropped it on leather for... well .... I don't really know why. MURICA!!

Soundtrack: an interview with Billy Meier. Kind of an interesting story. Not sure what to make of it yet, either he is telling a Madman, or a Genius who has actually been in contact with extraterrestrials. I will cogitate on this for a while.

Pass 1: First stroke impression: Gee, this blade seemed really really sharp with my test whiskers and arm hairs, but on my face, not so much. It is certainly cutting whiskers, but for some reason, it's not a comfortable shave, rather a "Meh" experience. I think perhaps because I had built up an expectation that the blade was simply not able to deliver on. Or, perhaps it was set to a bevel that I'm not used to. I don't know yet. It is doing the job for now. When the time comes, I will probably reset the bevel and run it through the brick yard.
This is the exploding soap and it lathers and cushions very well and this brush seems to like it just fine. plenty of cushion and slickness. No worries there. The rest of the pass is spectacular in it's predictability. Perhaps that is really what I should be striving for. To be able to get the same shave whatever blade I choose from the paddock.

Pass 2: Pretty much a continuation of the first pass. Not outstanding, but not bad either. I think a little tune-up on the Coti's with running water will do this blade a world of good. I am also intrigued by the concept of hyper-polishing as I tried with the #2 last time. So that it passes through the whisker before the whisker knows what hit it. Overall, a pretty OK shave for 2 passes, which gives me a chance to try Doc's edge sooner! :w00t: The postman us usually here in a couple of hours time.

Respectfully submitted,
RB

View attachment 671170

I am sure you will tune it up and get it shaving wonderfully in no time! That is some fast turnaround by Doc for the Seven Sisters - excited to hear your shave results with them - with pictures of course :thumbup1:.

Outstanding Shave Rich and I bet you gotta be going nuts waiting for the postman LMAO I know I am, I have a new addition to the Rock Wall inbound today and it is a Biggun LOL

Psst, Wanna know a secret?

Your soap might lather a little easier if you remove the plastic wrap. Don't tell everyone; it's one of those tricks I've picked up over the past few years. :tongue_sm

EPIC Reply Sam!!! I almost spewed coffee on the screen when I read that LMAO:lol:

The postman left a suspiciously large package in the box today and I literally ran (as fast as a cripple can) to retrieve the parcel! Yes indeed it was from Alfredo! :w00t: Brought it in and revealed the contents therein. They are beautiful, as they were before. But Hokey Smokes! they are now very sharp! I tried with failing eyes to see the two blades that were of questionable usefulness and was unable to find them. I will break out the scope later to maybe identify them, or identify it by shaving with each in turn and whichever one bites me might possibly be the one with the unstable bevel. I've still not found a suitable cigar box that hasn't been full of cigars, so I will have to up my production of empty boxes! :tongue_sm In keeping with Nates Nautical themes and their being sharp as feathers, I found a suitable painting for a background.

:lol: The puck I am using is unrecognizable having exploded in the microwave! Keeping this one wrapped up to prevent explosions in the soap magazine :lol:

$DSC06642.jpg$DSC06647.jpg$DSC06644.jpg

Last edited:
I am so proud that these blades, although they are probably better than 60 years old, got their first honed edge from the Doc. I hyper polished one tonight (one that had a minorly flawed bevel) and plan on putting her in the on deck circle. Meanwhile the EAB is getting bottle-topped.

Straight Shave #73
Kit: 5/8 Klas Tornblom Shoulderless
Proraso Green Tea and Oat Pre and Soap
Proraso Green Tea and Oat Balm

Came to an epiphany this morning, A set of razors is a good as it's most flawed blade. So, I scoped around and found the one that had a couple little bad spots on the edge and stropped it for it's first shave. 40/60 on the strop and set it aside. This is the last of the samples from Maggards and has the most components. The pre-shave was kind of like a cream soap, then the soap was like a hard soap. Didn't take much to bring up clouds of pretty good suds. I kind of feel like I am launching a freedom ship that they forgot to launch. Late to the game but lucky for me.

Pass 1: First stroke impressions: I know I am going to like this shave, and this blade is doing nothing to contradict my expectations. The balance and geometry of these blades is nigh unto perfect. I wonder why they are less than common. Flaws or no, I don't feel any problems with this razor. She is happily mowing whiskers just like she is supposed to. The voids are small and I figure the cowboys had razors in much worse shape than this one. No leakage and pretty smooth. Obviously very sharp as there is no pulling and barely any sound as it squeegees the lather from my face. There must me a bit of menthol in this soap as I feel a cooling sensation. It's very nice. I will probably pick some up next trip to the shave store.

Pass 2: It seems the longer the lather sits in my scuttle the warmer it becomes. This feels pretty good! I am liking not shaving my lip! It will be a while before I decide on the style of Handlebar I grow out. All long or just long on the ends. That's a bridge on the map way down the road. In the meantime, Mr. Tornblom's work is on auto-pilot. I barely have to think about the task at hand as my muscles and blade have got it under control. Pass 2 ends with a PFS. And there is lots of suds left. Might as well take a third pass.

Pass 3: A mop up operation and going full ATG. Even if I add a bit of pressure, this blade doesn't seem to wan t to bite me. No dots on the sponge so there must be very few whiskers missed. And to think I have 17 razors of this profile makes me feel a little bit guilty. About -->| |<-- this much. :lol: I found a nearly empty box in my humidor and the razors fit just fine in there, must have to make the cradles and cover them.

Respectfully submitted,
RB
$kt1 7-2016.jpg

Very nice Narrative Rich, Is that one of the ones Doc honed and are they Coti, Jnat, or Shapton edges? Sounds like you are well on your way!

I'm not sure what he used, but the bevels are very uniform so my further ministrations (if needed) are on good angles. :thumbsup: How goes your project? I am thinking I might want one of those if possible.

Slow, we are still working out the grind and what scales to use and material, it probably wont be before the 1st of the year

Top Bottom